The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SR-Ali
Congrats to everyone that has got a place so far!

It has definately been an emotional rollercoaster. I got told i was on the reserve list and last week got a call asking if I wanted to be considered for Lancashire council. I said yes and now they have sent me an email inviting me to an 'short' interview.

No idea what to expect! Quite nervous.

Anybody else in the same boat??

I have a place in lancashire, good luck :smile: when's your interview? Hope all goes well!
Original post by tracey1987
Hi I've been offered a place through Learn Together Partnership for the Wirral. Just wondering if anyone else has and if they've heard anything since receiving the conditional offer email?

Hi Tracey! Which LA will you be based in? I'm looking forward to meeting up with everybody. Can't wait together started! :biggrin:
Oh just noticed u said the Wirral...oops! :colondollar:
Reply 543
Original post by Simply social
I have a place in lancashire, good luck :smile: when's your interview? Hope all goes well!

My interview is on 2nd Sept. Thankyou! I really really hope I get it. Fingers, toes everything crossed lol :smile:

@ earlyyears1 thanks for that info it really helps! Congrts for getting a place!
Original post by SR-Ali
My interview is on 2nd Sept. Thankyou! I really really hope I get it. Fingers, toes everything crossed lol :smile:

@ earlyyears1 thanks for that info it really helps! Congrts for getting a place!

Good luck, fingers crossed! Hope to see you soon :smile:
Original post by Winstonsone
Oh just noticed u said the Wirral...oops! :colondollar:

Me too, really can't wait to get stuck in! I've received an email now about the bursary etc too so feels a bit more real! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Reply 546
Original post by tracey1987
Me too, really can't wait to get stuck in! I've received an email now about the bursary etc too so feels a bit more real! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi, congratulations on getting your place. I was just wondering what they said about the bursary, did your email break down the dates and amounts of the payments?
I'm also wondering how the bursary works, is it a set amount or dependant upon circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 548
Original post by Rebecca100
I'm also wondering how the bursary works, is it a set amount or dependant upon circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
From the info we have had I believe that the bursary is paid every 3 months starting in January with each payment being just under £4,000. You will need to contact your tax office with regards to it being tax deductible or not (I think this will depend upon personal circumstances.)
Original post by Ilovebags
Hi,
From the info we have had I believe that the bursary is paid every 3 months starting in January with each payment being just under £4,000. You will need to contact your tax office with regards to it being tax deductible or not (I think this will depend upon personal circumstances.)

thats great to know, thanks.
when I enquired the bursary is tax free and also does not count towards child tax credits as it is a training allowance :smile:
Reply 550
Original post by Ilovebags
Hi,

Thanks for that :smile:
Brilliant thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 552
Original post by Simply social
thats great to know, thanks.
when I enquired the bursary is tax free and also does not count towards child tax credits as it is a training allowance :smile:

I was hoping that the bursary would be tax free due to it being a training allowance YAY!

It's all starting to feel more real now, it seems a long time since I was filling in the application. We have a meeting scheduled in September so we can meet our fellow candidates and our co-ordinator :biggrin:

So glad I found this thread, it will be good to hear how everyone gets on:smile:
Hi everyone!

Has anyone hear got a place with the East Midlands partnership? Or maybe just give me some advice!

I got the call a few months ago to say I am provisionally accepted and that I will get an email confirming this and a reference check will be carried out. I didn't get an email so rang penna who said that I have been accepted and references will be chased up soon.

I rang them around 3-4 weeks ago. Still heard nothing. I'm getting concerned as some people have heard about bursaries and meetings in September and I haven't even got a confirmation email!

Anyone else in a similar position?
Reply 554
Got holiday dates but wondering if they are set in stone as wanting to book to go awaynext year! Anyone from greater Manchester going to Do their criminal records check tomorrow?x
Reply 555
Hi I'm new here.Found this thread while trying to find stuff out for the step up course. I'm 28 with a family and work full time as a senior night support worker in a challenging home for young adults. currently working towards my Level 3 diploma in health and social work which also includes my functional skills in maths and english. but i noticed the 'step up' you need a 1st 2:1 degree in anything. how would i go about doing this you think without having to leave work?? or is what i'm doing enough.i have emailed them to ask for advise but no reply yet.
Original post by MDaisy
Got holiday dates but wondering if they are set in stone as wanting to book to go awaynext year! Anyone from greater Manchester going to Do their criminal records check tomorrow?x

Hi just out of interest what are the holiday dates? We haven't received any yet.
thanks
Reply 557
Mine are 5 days in April, 2 in July, 2 weeks end of august and 23rd dec-3rd Jan I think x
Reply 558
Just want to book something for the august as I reckon I'm guna need a holiday but worried incase they change it!
Original post by gemmaedge
Hi I'm new here.Found this thread while trying to find stuff out for the step up course. I'm 28 with a family and work full time as a senior night support worker in a challenging home for young adults. currently working towards my Level 3 diploma in health and social work which also includes my functional skills in maths and english. but i noticed the 'step up' you need a 1st 2:1 degree in anything. how would i go about doing this you think without having to leave work?? or is what i'm doing enough.i have emailed them to ask for advise but no reply yet.

Hi Gemma, I think you would have to do a degree as if the level 3 diploma is the equivalent of an NVQ level three then it is equivalent to a levels and so wouldn't be enough to meet the step up requirements. Studying with children and a job is difficult but by no means impossible. If you haven't done a degree before you would be entitled to a student loan and this may mean you could cut down your working hours. However if you are considering a career in social work why not study this at undergraduate level so you can practice rather than study something else with the intention of studying social work at postgraduate level if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending