The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08batee
Really glad to hear that :h: :biggrin: :hugs:
I'm not doing very well generally, my mind seems quite clouded and confused at the moment so things are difficult. I'm hoping that university will give me a new start though, so things aren't all bad :yep:
:penguinhug:

Thanks hun :hugs:. Are the flashbacks or anything getting better? Ohhh yeah, I'll keep all my fingers crossed for you at university :biggrin: I really hope it's the new start you want. You definitely deserve it :jumphug:

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

:woo: That's excellent news, well done!

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 6601
Stupid stupid stupid anon button. I can see this is going to drive me insane :mad:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Got a psychology internship!

Also met new care co-cordinator, she's a really nice and a women which makes a nice change :smile:

Original post by Deyesy
Eh. So this is kind of a bye sort of post thing. Not banning myself from TSR or anything because at the moment its helpful in keeping the loneliness at bay but Imma stop watching this thread and disappear for a while. I don't think it's good for me and because of that my replies to people probably come across as a tad harsh, maybe even bullish so yeah I just wanted to say thank you for the support from everyone in the past 12 months and if you want me; I'm probably best giving you my Skype since I am absolutely awful at replying to PM's.

Again. Thank you. Hopefully you all keep supporting each other because there's a rather lovely community feel to this thread.

Awww, don't go! :sad: But if you really must: good luck :h:

Original post by avhhs
UEL have given me an offer :biggrin: for Extended Computing with Foundation Year. I originally applied for Computer Networks which required 200 points and I have 180, so they offered me the foundation year option. I've entered it in UCAS and waiting to get confirmation from there now :crossedf: hurry up! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wahey! Go you! Well chuffed for you. Time for West London INVASION of the scary East :bhangra:
So i have second degree sunburn... On my forehead so painful tbh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asdfgah
Don't know how to deal with a friend manipulating me. Even though I'm 95% sure she's being manipulative, there's still that nagging doubt that I'm just a horrible person and I feel like **** for making her feel this bad. Finding it really hard to know how much I'm allowed to be angry with her, because I'm fairly sure her extremely manipulative tendencies are as a result of a MH problem, but they are still really really ****ty. I'm not in a place to deal with it but feel so guilty for causing her to feel abandoned and stuff, because even if my behaviour really is just normal human behaviour, her feelings of abandonment and stuff are still very real and it's **** of me to make her feel that bad. Can't get drawn back into that relationship though, because it just isn't good for me to be under her thumb and I really need to do what is best for me I think.

:hugs: I'd go with your instincts and say she probably is being manipulative. If you want to stay friends with her then in my opinion the only real way to do that is to confront her about it. Risks further damaging the friendship of course, but it's the only way I've been able to contemplate staying friends with someone like that in a similar situation. Her manipulating you is definitely not healthy for either of you, and even if by being honest with her you lose your friendship there's still the chance she'll take away something positive from the conversation and change her ways in the future.

Definitely do what you think is best for you though - you've never come across as a selfish person, and when you're vulnerable at the moment it makes sense to put yourself first.

Also met new care co-cordinator, she's a really nice and a women which makes a nice change :smile:

Woo, great to hear! :five:

Original post by tasha96
Has anyone ever been on olanzapine before? :frown: Any side effects etc?

Olanzapine was a pretty good drug for me - had sedating effects (which were actually quite welcome), but nothing overwhelming, can't think of any other side-effects I had, and overall it had quite a good effect. Hope it works well for you too. :smile:

Original post by Deyesy
Eh. So this is kind of a bye sort of post thing. Not banning myself from TSR or anything because at the moment its helpful in keeping the loneliness at bay but Imma stop watching this thread and disappear for a while. I don't think it's good for me and because of that my replies to people probably come across as a tad harsh, maybe even bullish so yeah I just wanted to say thank you for the support from everyone in the past 12 months and if you want me; I'm probably best giving you my Skype since I am absolutely awful at replying to PM's.

Again. Thank you. Hopefully you all keep supporting each other because there's a rather lovely community feel to this thread.

Sorry to hear you're going - best of luck with everything. :smile:

Original post by Sarah'
Stupid stupid stupid anon button. I can see this is going to drive me insane :mad:

Rmhumphries created a greasemonkey script that gets rid of the auto-anon feature - it should be pretty easy to install, and does the trick for various people on here. It's linked to in his sig I think.
Reply 6605
Original post by tasha96
Was even worse than I expected, and I expected it to be bad. :bawling:

So sorry to hear that hun :console: :jumphug: Will probably be on and off facebook for most of the evening so feel free to drop a message if talking would help. Though replies may be kinda sporadic as I've had a rough day.

Original post by Anonymous
Thanks hun :hugs:. Are the flashbacks or anything getting better? Ohhh yeah, I'll keep all my fingers crossed for you at university :biggrin: I really hope it's the new start you want. You definitely deserve it :jumphug:

They're really bad at the moment actually, struggling more than ever. Thanks for the support though hun! :hugs: I hope so too. :h: I hope things continue to be good for you, but remember I'm always here if you need a chat also :hugs:
Feeling dreadful :frown: I had depression last year and I thought it had gone away but it's come back in some form or another - either cyclothymia, BPD or premenstrual dysphoric disorder, I have several symptoms of all of these problems. Right now I'm feeling really depressed and isolated, with very limited GP access. I don't know what to do because I can see myself slipping back into how I used to be, but last time I tried drugs the side effects were too bad, and I'm finding CBT useless. I call the Samaritans sometimes but often I'm not feeling at crisis point, just completely dull and dead inside.

Awesome news, hope you enjoy it :beer:

Original post by tasha96
Was even worse than I expected, and I expected it to be bad. :bawling:

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well. :console: I've taken olanzapine in the past - I put on 50lbs in a month and was sleeping about 20 hours a day...not good at all. :no: However, all drugs work differently for different people, I think superwolf managed to avoid weight gain on it entirely. You could always try asking for metformin if you find yourself gaining weight. It's a diabetes drug that helps minimize weight gain on antipsychotics.
Original post by asdfgah
Don't know how to deal with a friend manipulating me. Even though I'm 95% sure she's being manipulative, there's still that nagging doubt that I'm just a horrible person and I feel like **** for making her feel this bad. Finding it really hard to know how much I'm allowed to be angry with her, because I'm fairly sure her extremely manipulative tendencies are as a result of a MH problem, but they are still really really ****ty. I'm not in a place to deal with it but feel so guilty for causing her to feel abandoned and stuff, because even if my behaviour really is just normal human behaviour, her feelings of abandonment and stuff are still very real and it's **** of me to make her feel that bad. Can't get drawn back into that relationship though, because it just isn't good for me to be under her thumb and I really need to do what is best for me I think.

This is kind of hard to admit and I hope you don't dislike me for it but in all honesty, in the attempt of giving you some advice, around 12 months ago I think I was in the position where I was the extremely ****e manipulative friend and I'm fairly certain I was making her feel all the things you currently feel. I'm also fairly certain she remained friends with me for a few months longer than she should have because she didn't want me to feel abandoned.
Eventually my friend got to the point that she was like 'no more, I quit' and told me that until I got my act together she couldn't be my friend. She also outlined for me just how crap and manipulative I had been and I really needed that because I hadn't seen it that way before? I admit at first I was devastated and I felt abandoned and it was ****e HOWEVER I also think it was the first and only thing that really forced me to recognize what I was doing to the people around me, and made me see that I desperately needed to sort out what I was doing to myself and everyone I cared about.

The fact is that YOU do need to come first, so you need to fix this situation. Having been on the opposite side of you I think it might be beneficial to her if you attempt to show her what she has been doing, even if she doesn't seem to want to know/care. Having someone walk out on me because I was treating them poorly was kind of the final straw to me and it was the low that was kind of 'the only way is up' for me, so you never know... Not only will it help you, but it could also help her in the long time.
Also, as a little potentially happy note, we had a big discussion about two weeks ago and are now getting along very well again, so it doesn't have to be the end of your friendship forever, maybe just a little while.
I'm literally awful at explaining things so if this doesn't make sense or you wanna know anything else then just ask ^^

Original post by superwolf
:hugs: I'd go with your instincts and say she probably is being manipulative. If you want to stay friends with her then in my opinion the only real way to do that is to confront her about it. Risks further damaging the friendship of course, but it's the only way I've been able to contemplate staying friends with someone like that in a similar situation. Her manipulating you is definitely not healthy for either of you, and even if by being honest with her you lose your friendship there's still the chance she'll take away something positive from the conversation and change her ways in the future.

Definitely do what you think is best for you though - you've never come across as a selfish person, and when you're vulnerable at the moment it makes sense to put yourself first.

Just saw this response and wanted to highlight the fact that she could take something positive from it, and you need to put yourself first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6609
Really don't want to be awake for any more of today. Feel so so ill
Not really a lurker or poster here but just wanted to get bit of a discovery off my chest. For a long time I've considered myself a realist but today it's occurred to me there's this underlying theme of pessimism there which I've been denying for years. And that perhaps this affects my motivation and ability to do a job/study. Without this pessimism that I could achieve more.
Original post by Sultana
I get very similar feelings sometimes, especially in situations where I can’t leave easily, and like you say it’s a really evil vicious circle. I have to have escape routes everywhere as well. :teehee: Have you ever had any therapy at all? I think CBT could be really helpful for you, both in terms of challenging the thoughts to begin with and giving you techniques to cope. This website has a load of resources which are quite useful as well, especially as waiting lists for therapy can be long. I don’t know about you but I've found educating myself as much as possible and trying out a load of self-help stuff to be helpful, even just because it makes me feel more pro-active and less of a 'victim'.

If you haven't already I would really recommend you talk to your uni's disability service. They can put a number of things is place for you to make it easier, like letting your lecturers know you might leave suddenly which might make you feel less trapped or making sure you have a copy of the lecture notes. They can also help you apply for DSA (or you can do it yourself) who can give you equipment such as a Dictaphone and also pay for human support such as a note taker or a mentor, which could be beneficial for you. You will need a doctor’s letter to apply for this though.

Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't had any therapy or anything like that, to be honest I went to the doctors years ago when i first started having panic attacks and she told me I'd "get over it" and so have been reluctant to go back as I feel I probably should have got over it by now and they might not take me seriously. I have been doing my own research and many websites describe agoraphobia as very similar to the way I feel (I know it's not always a good idea to try and diagnose yourself over the internet but this made me feel slightly better in that it could be a diagnosable thing rather than just me being an idiot!

I was considering speaking to someone at the uni when I arrive there but I'm so wary to speak to anyone about this, I just feel like nobody will take me seriously or judge me if I leave lectures etc so I try to stay in places even if I feel terrible, I'm normally able to sit it out.
Again, thank you for your reply and the link to the website!
keep falling asleep :s-smilie: only been awake for brief periods all day.

dunno why im so tired :/
actually had a good night tonight, been for a "girls night in" as we call it, its me, mum, my "nanna" another old lady from the village, and an ex village lady and sometimes her daughter all get together and have a takeaway and a good catch up.
and i felt really comfortable tonight, even though there was a new person there.

shes a time to change champion so has stuff to do with that, and got me some freebies from the roadshow she went to, and they might be setting something up in manchester, so i said id let you guys know about it :smile:
somewhere to meet loads of people with MH problems.
(hugs)
Bad day
2nd day at uni and already I'm stressed out to the max :/ So much going on, trying to keep on top of everything, but gah I can already tell this year will be hard!
Reply 6616
Still not doing great. Had a panic attack earlier at the thought of working in a bar tomorrow sibce the job I want hadn't got back to me. In the end text the manager saying I had found something else and my mum shouted at me for messing everyone around by applying and going for the interview when I knew I didn't want the job.
The good news is that the job I want did contact me just before 10pm to offer me a second interview on friday so I just need to get someone to cover for me at work, find something to wear and pass as perfectly healthy when I've broken down in to tears 5 days running. No problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
So i have second degree sunburn... On my forehead so painful tbh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OUCH! Big big hugs :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
actually had a good night tonight, been for a "girls night in" as we call it, its me, mum, my "nanna" another old lady from the village, and an ex village lady and sometimes her daughter all get together and have a takeaway and a good catch up.
and i felt really comfortable tonight, even though there was a new person there.

shes a time to change champion so has stuff to do with that, and got me some freebies from the roadshow she went to, and they might be setting something up in manchester, so i said id let you guys know about it :smile:
somewhere to meet loads of people with MH problems.
(hugs)

Glad you had a nice evening and proud of you for not being bothered by the new lady! :biggrin:

That sounds cool. I'll deffinately have to look out for it. Thanks for the heads up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a nightmare last night so didnt have a good sleep and kept waking up because of my sunburn.
Im sure its getting more and more painful as the days go on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest