The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Stirling2014
I've not heard many complaints but from personal experience, I've always found the O2 network as good as can be expected.

Regardless of network, the nature of the buildings and the large number of people using mobile phones in the area so lots of different signals colliding means you don't get great coverage wherever you are indoors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys,i'm planning to study at stirling university next year(if they accept me).I know is too early for planning about accomodation,but i want to be sure and don't have any query.Propably i will study with a friend of mine,that's why i want to know the best accomodation buildings,suitable for 2 mates.Lastly i want to have an en-suite bathroom and if it is possible a kitchen(ok tha't not a big problem)
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 121
Original post by georgexD
Hey guys,i'm planning to study at stirling university next year(if they accept me).I know is too early for planning about accomodation,but i want to be sure and don't have any query.Propably i will study with a friend of mine,that's why i want to know the best accomodation buildings,suitable for 2 mates.Lastly i want to have an en-suite bathroom and if it is possible a kitchen(ok tha't not a big problem)

It is way too early :smile:

Next year for ensuite you will have the choice of ASH, Williw Court and the next new building, Beech Court.

You can apply to be near a friend anywhere but it is a bad idea. If you each live in different places then you can meet one another's new friends and so double the number of people you know. Also, you are going to uni as an individual not a pair so don't tie yourself down to your friend.

Look on the uni website for more information about the accommodation and then go and forget about if for a year because until you know for sure that you are coming it isn't worth thinking about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, is there any chance I could change my payment plans before I sent my direct debit forms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you need a Student ID urgently when you arrive at Stirling as according to the website you can collect them between 28th August and 6th September, however I wont arrive in Stirling till the 7th and the next collection is from the atrium on the 9th?
Reply 124
I don't think so, most people will be picking them up on the 9th :smile:
Original post by jessstalley
Do you need a Student ID urgently when you arrive at Stirling as according to the website you can collect them between 28th August and 6th September, however I wont arrive in Stirling till the 7th and the next collection is from the atrium on the 9th?

I don't think so, most people will be picking them up on the 9th

You don't need it, they just make them available before the start of semester, to help reduce the queues on Monday 9th. Although it's the Crush Hall in Pathfoot building (not the Atrium) where you collect them.
Reply 126
Original post by moosegroomer007
Hi, is there any chance I could change my payment plans before I sent my direct debit forms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really understand the question, before you send off the DDI forms then surely you can change it as much as you like.

If you have already sent off the forms then you'll need to call residential services. Once you arrive, you can call in to the office any time and change your payment method - you can even pay them in cash if you fee like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stirling2014
I don't really understand the question, before you send off the DDI forms then surely you can change it as much as you like.

If you have already sent off the forms then you'll need to call residential services. Once you arrive, you can call in to the office any time and change your payment method - you can even pay them in cash if you fee like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I want to change the amount of instalments I have chosen. If that makes it any clearer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Sorry, I want to change the amount of instalments I have chosen. If that makes it any clearer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is probably best to ring them. They will either just change it over the phone or ask you to complete a new form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
quick q: what do 'IM' and 'CT' mean on your timetable once you've generated it from your modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eilster
quick q: what do 'IM' and 'CT' mean on your timetable once you've generated it from your modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IM = introductory meeting (full list of IMs here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44232711&postcount=12). CT = class test. http://www.aro.stir.ac.uk/academic/timetables/timetables-coding-system.php
Reply 131

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ring them. I had to do this last year, and it was fine. :smile:
Original post by tufc
Ring them. I had to do this last year, and it was fine. :smile:

I have, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
On moving in day (Saturday 7th) does the area behind the residences tend to be chaotic? I would like to know how much time roughly we have to unload stuff from our car so that we don't cause too much trouble. Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by Pippin96
On moving in day (Saturday 7th) does the area behind the residences tend to be chaotic? I would like to know how much time roughly we have to unload stuff from our car so that we don't cause too much trouble. Thanks very much :smile:

Yes, it's absolute chaos. If you can, get your parents to arrive a few hours early, get a parking space, then you can go and have a look round campus.
Reply 135
Original post by tufc
Yes, it's absolute chaos. If you can, get your parents to arrive a few hours early, get a parking space, then you can go and have a look round campus.

Why is it so busy? I can't understand why everyone would be so desperate to get booked in? :confused:
Reply 136
Original post by BALLYB
Why is it so busy? I can't understand why everyone would be so desperate to get booked in? :confused:

About 900 18-year-olds waiting to move out of home...?
Are there any strict rules on having people stay with you in halls? I'm in AKD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClaireDelaney

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not allowed guests during Freshers week - and they're pretty strict during exam periods, but otherwise it's not a problem having people stay. I'm pretty sure the rules have changed since I was in halls, so I'm sure someone else will fill you in on the specifics.
Reply 139
Original post by ClaireDelaney

Posted from TSR Mobile

As has been said, you are not allowed any guests during freshers week and not are you allowed guests during the exam period.

In AKD and the other traditional halls (ASH and Geddes), you are allowed to sign up to 2 people into your room. Officially, you have got to sign anyone in by 1am which is a nuisance if you are in a club that closes at 2am.

If you ask the porter nicely before you go out if you can sign someone later then at their discretion they might let you.

By the book, people shouldn't be staying more than 2 or 3 nights but again if you ask a porter nicely you might get around this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest