The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by ricerules
is it ok for me to inbox you? i just really need some advice on this!

Sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1101
Original post by SusieShire
Finally found a job on NHS jobs that is a commutable distance away! It's still 2 buses away but I'll take it if I can. The application is sent off, wish me luck!

Best of luck!!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advice please!

My results so far are:
GCSE's - 5A* 5A
Alevels - AABa
UKCAT - 790
I've got a couple of weeks work experience at a hospital and plenty of volunteering and during my gap i've planned to go to Japan for 6 months to work as a voluntary HCA

I know my grades aren't good enough and so i will be resitting but i'm pretty sure i won't be predicted higher than an A which means that the unis i can apply to for med are very limited :/ Do you think it's worth applying to other universities or do you think theres no chance?
Reply 1103
Original post by Maggienam100194
Advice please!

My results so far are:
GCSE's - 5A* 5A
Alevels - AABa
UKCAT - 790
I've got a couple of weeks work experience at a hospital and plenty of volunteering and during my gap i've planned to go to Japan for 6 months to work as a voluntary HCA

I know my grades aren't good enough and so i will be resitting but i'm pretty sure i won't be predicted higher than an A which means that the unis i can apply to for med are very limited :/ Do you think it's worth applying to other universities or do you think theres no chance?

If you don't mind me asking which organisation have you gone with to volunteer as a HCA abroad? Your gcse's are good and you're UKCAT is fantastic.....if you re-sit you're definitely in with a good shot!
Applying for jobs, starting near volunteering activities, goals in the gym, saving for a PS4 all very exiting things this gap year :wink: As well as applying to medicine of course! :biggrin:

What about you guys? :smile:
Advice please!

My results so far are:
GCSE's - 5A* 5A
Alevels - AABa
UKCAT - 790

There are only a handful of universities that will accept resit applicants. (unless extenuating circumstances). Visit link below.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Reply 1106
Advice please!

My results so far are:
GCSE's - 5A* 5A
Alevels - AABa
UKCAT - 790

Just read this and thought WOW! You absolutely beast'd your UKCAT, GCSEs and everything else and there only thing pulling you back from standing a good chance of getting to most med schools is one B grade.

My best advice is look at the Kings' EDMP program providing that you meet certain requirements.
Original post by OJC
If you don't mind me asking which organisation have you gone with to volunteer as a HCA abroad? Your gcse's are good and you're UKCAT is fantastic.....if you re-sit you're definitely in with a good shot!

I'm going with Lattitude Global Volunteering - they have loads of great gap year programmes and they're fantastic people as well! :smile: Highly recommended!
Reply 1108
Am other only person finding UKCAT prep difficult? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going with Lattitude Global Volunteering - they have loads of great gap year programmes and they're fantastic people as well! :smile: Highly recommended!

Which part of the world are you visiting?
What do you guys have for leadership attributes? I don't really have much as I was not really captain of a sports team or anything. I was however elected as form representative/ form captain but I never really did much, it gave me a seat on the student council but all I basically had to do was take my forms views and opinions on certain matters and also any improvements/recommendations they had, then ask the student council. The main one was we only had one toaster in the school canteen and breakfast queues were huge, so my form asked me if we could buy a an additional one to tackle the problem, in the end our head of sixth form said NO. :tongue:

Im hoping by being a first aider in SJA will also help :smile:
Reply 1111
Original post by raveen789
What do you guys have for leadership attributes? I don't really have much as I was not really captain of a sports team or anything. I was however elected as form representative/ form captain but I never really did much, it gave me a seat on the student council but all I basically had to do was take my forms views and opinions on certain matters and also any improvements/recommendations they had, then ask the student council. The main one was we only had one toaster in the school canteen and breakfast queues were huge, so my form asked me if we could buy a an additional one to tackle the problem, in the end our head of sixth form said NO. :tongue:

Lol I think the school councilmen will do. Many things come under leadership. For example doing a DE award (I never had the opp to do that) or something like mentoring or sports.

In my PS I will put head girl which is basically the only leadership role I have ever taken lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Lol I think the school councilmen will do. Many things come under leadership. For example doing a DE award (I never had the opp to do that) or something like mentoring or sports.

In my PS I will put head girl which is basically the only leadership role I have ever taken lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still! I very ideal one :P

The only leadership role I can think of is being a leader and mentor at a youth club. I was a prefect too but I don't think I'll mention that.
The only leadership role I can think of is being a leader and mentor at a youth club. I was a prefect too but I don't think I'll mention that.

I'm just worried that my leadership role is a bit inadequate, I was elected into that position but I never really did much other than take my forms views/concerns and talk to sixth form council about it. We also did class discussions on charity and raising some class funds used to get equipment for a village in Africa but my school set that up I just helped collect money and discuss with my class what items we should buy based on what we raised! Other than that we just talked a lot in student council about problems in sixth form abs I also had to read a morning prayer every day for my class (we were a catholic school)!

Kinda worried that if I get an interview they would be like well your not much of a leader then compared to you guys who were head girl/ mentors. I am starting SJA I have an interview today so hopefully there might be done leadership roles!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm just worried that my leadership role is a bit inadequate, I was elected into that position but I never really did much other than take my forms views/concerns and talk to sixth form council about it. We also did class discussions on charity and raising some class funds used to get equipment for a village in Africa but my school set that up I just helped collect money and discuss with my class what items we should buy based on what we raised! Other than that we just talked a lot in student council about problems in sixth form abs I also had to read a morning prayer every day for my class (we were a catholic school)!

Kinda worried that if I get an interview they would be like well your not much of a leader then compared to you guys who were head girl/ mentors. I am starting SJA I have an interview today so hopefully there might be done leadership roles!

If you were elected you must have given some kind of speech to your class about why you would be the best representative for them and persuaded them successfully? Being good at persuasion is a leadership quality. You were a part of meetings and made sure your form's voice was heard so you were a leader for your form in that you were their representative who ensured the concerns of your classmates were noted. Reading morning prayer shows you are apt at public speaking and that's a good quality in a leader. You can pretty much take any experience and find a way to relate it to a good quality in a doctor. I'm sure SJA will help too. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
If you were elected you must have given some kind of speech to your class about why you would be the best representative for them and persuaded them successfully? Being good at persuasion is a leadership quality. You were a part of meetings and made sure your form's voice was heard so you were a leader for your form in that you were their representative who ensured the concerns of your classmates were noted. Reading morning prayer shows you are apt at public speaking and that's a good quality in a leader. You can pretty much take any experience and find a way to relate it to a good quality in a doctor. I'm sure SJA will help too. :smile:

Wow you made it sound so much better! I mean I did do those things but the way you wrote it seemed for epic :biggrin: yeah I had to do a speech on the spot, did not have time to prepare :tongue:

Thanks!
Reply 1117
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

Hi Toppy

My daughter got exactly the same grades as you ie A*AB and will be resitting the B next June (missed A by one mark). What was your experience with reapply and resitting? Which unis did you apply to and where did you get interviews and offers?

Great advice, in reality there's many things you may have done but may not view it as significant when in actual fact they are! You just have to look at it abit more indepth.

The best personal statements I have seen are the ones that reflect on their experiences well regardless of how good that extra-curricular sounds.
Reply 1119
Original post by bukoba
Hi Toppy

My daughter got exactly the same grades as you ie A*AB and will be resitting the B next June (missed A by one mark). What was your experience with reapply and resitting? Which unis did you apply to and where did you get interviews and offers?

Resitting was easier for me as I could do the exam in January! Reapplying was also easier as I think more places accepted resits. I applied to BSMS, UEA, Keele and Southampton. I got an interview at UEA and Keele. I got rejected after interview by UEA and I withdrew from Keele after getting my offer at Southampton. Southampton didn't interview (I think they do now?). Good luck to your daughter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending