The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by aallen
Just wondering, who is thinking of applying to Birmingham for 2014 entry?
I'm toying with the idea of doing Chemistry.

I'm applying for Chemistry :smile:

I've made a wiki page for applicants, would you mind editing the link into your first post? :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Birmingham_Applicants_for_2014_Entry_Stalking_Page
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hi I'm applying for law

GCSEs 5A*s 5As
AS AAAA (98, 95, 90, 89)

really not looking forward to the LNAT
Reply 22
Original post by DrumChops
Planning to apply for Medicine, quite exciting :smile:

Original post by Katemcmurrugh
I think im applying to do medicine- loved the look of it from the open day!

I'm starting Medicine in September, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Although obviously I don't know much about the course yet...
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Its ok, when I was applying I always wanted someone to answer my Q's and help me but to no prevail so I thought why not help others :smile:
Yeah the UCAS process seems to take forever (not as long as my current wait to uni which I am now bored of! aha but anyways...) Yeah message it me when you've done, I'll only be able to show you a clippet of mine as the whole worry of plagerism (I know you wouldn't but it may unsubconsciously inspire you or whatever) which could get you into deep trouble which we don't want aha)
Yeah you can do your LNAT in november or january I believe but I advice you do it in november as your more likley to get your offers quicker (from LNAT required uni's) if you do :smile: and I'll help you what I can but my advice for now is to practice your typing skills as you do it all on a computer.

Those are good results, obvs simular to my first year ones and look at me now (add a dash of luck and I'll be there in a few weeks) Erm I do feel really sorry for you guys not being able to resit in jan, total annoyance I'm sure (flipping michael gove has a lot to answer for) but anyways...part of me thinks resit it if you think your capable of getting a better grade (not just a few marks but up to a B say) as they do take your best grade so it doesn't matter if you didn't do as well say. Also I found that in several of my subjects I did better in the second year in resits as your essay skills/the way you write is just 'better' for the use of the word and you often build upon various topics in the 2nd year which gives you added knowledge. However if you think your going to be doing many, many exams then probs don't as you DO NOT want it to impact upon your other subjects. Talk it over with your teachers who I'm sure will help :smile:

Don't worry about it, as I said you have me for help for a few more weeks until I'm enveloped into the world of freshers before returning to tsr a bedrggled, hungover, hungry student :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've honestly been so helpful! :biggrin:

I totally understand about your p.s youre right because it'd be the same as going online and being 'inspired' by someone else's. Even a couple of words will count as plagiarism and I don't want mine disqualified per se. I will defo send you mine first though to see what you think honestly, no sugar coating needed haha!

Yeah I think I'll talk to my teachers first about the whole resitting business :smile:

Yh think November is best, plus to just get it out of the way.
Ahh you must be so excited!! Can't wait for mine (no doubt I'll also be a little bit nervous too lol) enjoy!! :wink:
Original post by lizz-ie

I've made a wiki page for applicants, would you mind editing the link into your first post? :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Birmingham_Applicants_for_2014_Entry_Stalking_Page

Could you add a column for interview too? :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Sharif Chowdhury
Could you add a column for interview too? :smile:

Sure, done :smile:
Good luck with applying!
Original post by lizz-ie
Sure, done :smile:
Good luck with applying!

You too!
Applying for Medicine! Absolutely loved the Med School and the campus, definitely my first choice (if you could choose, of course!).

Chances are looking good, if there are any current medics there, would you see these as a good indicator for an interview?

GCSEs: 8 A* 2 A 1 B
ASs: AAAA
Predicted A2s: A*A*AA/A*A*A*A depending on a successful appeal for a borderline AS result.
Reply 28
Original post by Jack_Griffiths_
Applying for Medicine! Absolutely loved the Med School and the campus, definitely my first choice (if you could choose, of course!).

Chances are looking good, if there are any current medics there, would you see these as a good indicator for an interview?

GCSEs: 8 A* 2 A 1 B
ASs: AAAA
Predicted A2s: A*A*AA/A*A*A*A depending on a successful appeal for a borderline AS result.

Hello :smile: I'm starting at Birmingham for Medicine in September, so I've just passed through the application process! I'd say they're good, but are your A*s at GCSE including the 3 sciences (or double science), English and Maths? Because that's what Birmingham look for in GCSEs now :smile: But it certainly looks good!
Reply 29
Original post by lizz-ie

Sure, I'll do it when I next get onto my computer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Applying for Accounting & Finance!!
Hello! Another Psychology hopeful here :smile: I'm going up to the open day on the 14th but pretty certain I'll be applying to Birmingham regardless.
Reply 32
Law at Birmingham looks so good!:smile:
Original post by Zaphod77
Hello :smile: I'm starting at Birmingham for Medicine in September, so I've just passed through the application process! I'd say they're good, but are your A*s at GCSE including the 3 sciences (or double science), English and Maths? Because that's what Birmingham look for in GCSEs now :smile: But it certainly looks good!

Oh wow that's fantastic, congratulations! I'm so jealous! Would you mind writing here, or in a private message, your "profile?" GCSEs, AS, predicteds, etc.

And yeah I have all of those at A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Posted from TSR Mobile

You've honestly been so helpful! :biggrin:

I totally understand about your p.s youre right because it'd be the same as going online and being 'inspired' by someone else's. Even a couple of words will count as plagiarism and I don't want mine disqualified per se. I will defo send you mine first though to see what you think honestly, no sugar coating needed haha!

Yeah I think I'll talk to my teachers first about the whole resitting business :smile:

Yh think November is best, plus to just get it out of the way.
Ahh you must be so excited!! Can't wait for mine (no doubt I'll also be a little bit nervous too lol) enjoy!! :wink:

Well I do try! :wink:

Yeah I just know when I was in the process of writing mine they made it very clear that they were very strict about personal statements being even simular to anothers (after all the issues they had with people 'buying' them online) However yeah don't worry I'll use constructive criticism, I spent so long redrafting mine until I was happy with it and in the end I was fairly pleased actually :smile:

Yeah your teachers know best when it comes to resitting a paper, you have plenty of time to decide yet anyways! :smile: (although my second year at college flew by so you've been warned aha)

Yeah novembers is defo the best time. Where else you thinking of applying to? (she asked nosily :wink:)

Yea soooo excited now its actually unreal, will keep you updated on the law programme front tho (my timetables being released soon so thats another thing to look foward to) :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Jack_Griffiths_
Oh wow that's fantastic, congratulations! I'm so jealous! Would you mind writing here, or in a private message, your "profile?" GCSEs, AS, predicteds, etc.

And yeah I have all of those at A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: My application was this:
GCSEs: 7 A*s, 5 As, the A*s including Chemistry and Physics (but not Biology, but I hoped my AS level made up for that), English and English Lit, Maths and Additional Maths. Also included RE.
AS Levels: AAAA in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
Predicted A2 Levels: A*A*A*A (the A being predicted in Biology. In the end I actually got A*A*AA with the A*s in Biology and Maths).
Work Experience: 1 morning shadowing an ophthalmologist doing cataracts operations, twice a week volunteering in a care home for people with dementia. I have since then managed to get a week's work experience in a hospital, but they didn't let me last year so I didn't have that for my interview!
ECs: ATCL Diploma at Distinction on my violin, Grade 8 at Distinction on my recorder, Grade 8 at Merit on my oboe, performed in the school production of Macbeth, played many times in the pit for various musicals, was the leader of Norfolk County Youth Orchestra, also lead a quartet which regularly did gigs including weddings. Subscription to BBC Focus Magazine, and I read "A Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. As you can see it's mostly music-based, I didn't have DofE or anything sports-based!

I know that Birmingham don't ask for UKCAT or BMAT, but if you want to know those stats out of interest, I got 717.5 average on UKCAT and 4.7, 5.3, 3.5A on BMAT :smile:

Have I missed anything?
(edited 10 years ago)
Applying for Chemical Engineering <3

Why's such a good uni thread so dead...?
Reply 37
Original post by Zaphod77
Thank you :smile: My application was this:
GCSEs: 7 A*s, 5 As, the A*s including Chemistry and Physics (but not Biology, but I hoped my AS level made up for that), English and English Lit, Maths and Additional Maths. Also included RE.
AS Levels: AAAA in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
Predicted A2 Levels: A*A*A*A (the A being predicted in Biology. In the end I actually got A*A*AA with the A*s in Biology and Maths).
Work Experience: 1 morning shadowing an ophthalmologist doing cataracts operations, twice a week volunteering in a care home for people with dementia. I have since then managed to get a week's work experience in a hospital, but they didn't let me last year so I didn't have that for my interview!
ECs: ATCL Diploma at Distinction on my violin, Grade 8 at Distinction on my recorder, Grade 8 at Merit on my oboe, performed in the school production of Macbeth, played many times in the pit for various musicals, was the leader of Norfolk County Youth Orchestra, also lead a quartet which regularly did gigs including weddings. Subscription to BBC Focus Magazine, and I read "A Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. As you can see it's mostly music-based, I didn't have DofE or anything sports-based!

I know that Birmingham don't ask for UKCAT or BMAT, but if you want to know those stats out of interest, I got 717.5 average on UKCAT and 4.7, 5.3, 3.5A on BMAT :smile:

Have I missed anything?

Congrats on your offer! I wanted to know if I was good enough for bham I have got 7 A*s and 2 A's including 3 sciences maths and language only an A in lit, I also have 4 A's at AS can you tell me if these stats are good enough and can you tell me what the interview is like and do they look at ums?
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Well I do try! :wink:

Yeah I just know when I was in the process of writing mine they made it very clear that they were very strict about personal statements being even simular to anothers (after all the issues they had with people 'buying' them online) However yeah don't worry I'll use constructive criticism, I spent so long redrafting mine until I was happy with it and in the end I was fairly pleased actually :smile:

Yeah your teachers know best when it comes to resitting a paper, you have plenty of time to decide yet anyways! :smile: (although my second year at college flew by so you've been warned aha)

Yeah novembers is defo the best time. Where else you thinking of applying to? (she asked nosily :wink:)

Yea soooo excited now its actually unreal, will keep you updated on the law programme front tho (my timetables being released soon so thats another thing to look foward to) :smile:

Yeah just read here on tsr that someone gave theirs to a 'friend' who copied bits and they got suspended from ucas for a year! Not happening to me! :sigh:

LOOL almost done hopefully give it to you tomorrow/Saturday. That alright? :smile:

I want to remark but I'm scared it'll go down from a c tp a d somehow even though it was off 4 marks for each unit (one b to a and one c to b) because it required around 6/7 ums :/ but yh. Trust me I know first year was over in a second!

Um maybe Manchester, Leicester, Exeter, but not sure. Defo thinking about Birmingham because it looks so good! Still need to go to an open day :colondollar:

And yh pls do keep me updated, really interested to hear about everythinggg :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by TheMan17
Congrats on your offer! I wanted to know if I was good enough for bham I have got 7 A*s and 2 A's including 3 sciences maths and language only an A in lit, I also have 4 A's at AS can you tell me if these stats are good enough and can you tell me what the interview is like and do they look at ums?

Thank you! Yep, that's fine :smile: They don't look at UMS, they never learn what UMS you get unless you tell them :smile: The interview is an MMI, and after the interview stage they never look at your application again, they make decisions purely on interview! In the interviews the interviewers have not seen your application, so it is completely unbiased at that stage. There are 4 stations, unless they've decided to change it, and you get a tour of the Medical School as well :smile: Does that help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending