The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xDave-
Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.

Looking at the pots, the easiest draw we could have IMO is Marseille, Olympiakos and Anderlecht, hardest would be PSG, Dortmund and Napoli - I'm expecting Schalke, Ajax and Steaua Bucharest myself, which wouldn't be too bad.

I'd like City to try and deal with Barcelona, Shaktar Donetsk/Dortmund and Napoli :colone:
Original post by xDave-
Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.

The CL draw I feel we will get a slighter tougher group. Dortmund, Napoli are the two teams that you wouldn't want to face but it's tough to say how it pans out. I'd embrace it if we got a slighter tougher group because sometimes in groups stages as we showed a few years ago when we got knocked out, sometimes it creeps complacency if you're in an easy group. Out of other three, if we get one good, strong team then I wouldn't be against that.

Capital One, a home tie against a Championship team and below please. I think someone here put a team up of our youngest first team squad which we discussed could be used as a CC team. I'd like to see that. The spine of the team to have DDG, Evans, Carrick, Rooney and try and fill some of the other positions with Januzaj, Lingard etc. In the 90s, if was treated as a game for the younger players but the media won't complain if there is a line up of talented and promising young players that they can keep an eye on.

With it beings Moyes first season, he might look to blend more experience over youth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9042
^Was just going to post that. You can't blame him, at his age, for wanting to move as it won't come around. Last summer, there was an interest - he's fortunate Moyes has gone and continued that interest but next year? Nope. He knows it aswell. I don't see the motivation for buying him at that price which Everton will try to get but not completely against it, same with Fellaini.

Not explicitly, but Rooney on his FB page confirms pretty much that he's staying. You could say which sets of fans he was referring to lol but in a WC year, important to be playing and in form. I hope he eradicates the emotion of what he's feeling of the discontent against the club and think pragmatically but with Stretford, can't really be too comfortable with that especially if a new deal is discussed at the end of the year. With Nani, and Vidic out of contract end of this season then I imagine that Rooney might be discussed but ideally will be at end of season, to see how he performs.

United's Twitter confirm Henriquez has gone to Zaragoza on loan. I fear he'll be shipped out for good when next summer rolls around, especially if he does well there and our striking options are comfortable. LOL - some random Polish girl seems to want to do something very hard to young Henriquez, gaging from her response to that tweet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9044
And we've drawn Liverpool...

Appaz that's Suarez's first game after his ban
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9045
Should be very good :smile:
Original post by xDave-
And we've drawn Liverpool...

Appaz that's Suarez's first game after his ban

What? I didn't think the draw would be made until half 10 :lolwut:

Let me guess Chelsea will be at home to a L1/L2 team.
Original post by sr90

Swindon :tongue:
Dippers in the LC should be a good match
Original post by Malevolent
Swindon :tongue:

What a surprise... :rolleyes:

On a lighter note, City will be in pot 3. A Barca, PSG, City, Napoli group would do quite nicely!

Pot one: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke 04, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus.

Pot three: Zenit St Petersburg, Manchester City, Ajax Amsterdam, Borussia Dortmund, FC Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Bayer Leverkusen.

Pot four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucharest, Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna.
Reply 9050
Great. Liverpool. It's strange how we always get the rubbish draw.
Hoping for;

United
Donetsk/Schalke/Marseille/Moscow
Olympiakos/Leverkusen/Zenit/Ajax/Basel/
Copenhagen/Anderlecht/Bucharest/Plzen/Austria Vienna
Four days of the transfer market left with Tom Zinedine Zidane Cleverley still in our best 11
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Four days of the transfer market left with Tom Zinedine Zidane Cleverley still in our best 11

beat a very good Swansea team away 4-1, outplayed and could have beaten a Chelsea side the media and many fans spent the summer ****ing off to, but sure we are ****ed :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw

I'm going to remember this post number for when Cleverley bosses the CL final against Bayern/Madrid/Barca.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tbh, I'd rather have a disciplined Cleverley next to Carrick than a £25m afro. Most other names we've been linked with are hardly an improvement on Clevs too. Cesc is the only midfielder that would have been a worthy upgrade in that position.
Original post by sr90

Usually that's the FA cup, league cup we get prem or championship teams usually
Original post by SciFiRory
beat a very good Swansea team away 4-1, outplayed and could have beaten a Chelsea side the media and many fans spent the summer ****ing off to, but sure we are ****ed :rolleyes:

A Swansea where our finishing got us through it, we actually werent that good for the most part, especially in midfield for large portions of the game.

A Chelsea who were uncharacteristically poor and playing a new line-up .. and Chelseas midfield isnt the scary part of their team anyway. A Chelsea who managed to shut us out and were happy to play defensive and play on the counter.. and our midfield offered zero creativity to help. Somehow getting a draw when we should have won is a good thing?
Original post by Tommyjw
A Swansea where our finishing got us through it, we actually werent that good for the most part, especially in midfield for large portions of the game.

A Chelsea who were uncharacteristically poor and playing a new line-up .. and Chelseas midfield isnt the scary part of their team anyway. A Chelsea who managed to shut us out and were happy to play defensive and play on the counter.. and our midfield offered zero creativity to help. Somehow getting a draw when we should have won is a good thing?

Cleverely had an off game but that just shows how good the team is that we can win that well despite not playing our best, surely you can't argue that is anything other than a good omen for this side?

pfft, a Chelsea team who despite all their spending and creative talent couldn't do more than hit long range efforts straight to De Gea...we only didn't win imo cause we lacked a bit of cutting edge up front but that will come with time, a draw against Chelsea is something most in the media and many fans didn't think we had a prayer of yet we nearly beat them, I think that shows how good we are not otherwse tbh.

I think people are just looking for negatives too much with us this season, we have probably the best CB options in the league, the best young keeper in the league, the best strike force in the league, Carrick who is arguably the best CM in the league, Rafael the best young RB in Europe...not to mention the prospects of Zaha, Jones, Smalling, Januzaj, Powell, Lingaard, Wellbeck...

yes I think another CM would improve us (if it's the right player who can be creative and stay fit) and maybe some competition on the wings if Valencia/Young don't improve this year, but Zaha I think can help with the latter and I still expect us to sign the former.
Reply 9059
Honestly it kills me to keep seeing Kagawa on the bench and cleverley starting. I appreciate the positions are not quite the same and i'm not saying take one off for the other... It's time kagawa built his position and his partnership with RVP and Welbeck (if he learns to shoot)

In other news, please don't waste money on baines... Quality player but totally uneccesary. If we are, get fellaini in, top player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest