The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

An invader from Year 12 here:colondollar:
If you took these subjects at AS please tell me how well you performed at GCSE and how well you performed at AS and how hard you worked to achieve them grades:
Edexcel Maths:C1 C2 S1 GCSE Maths:295/300 UMS (A*)
Edexcel Further Maths:FP1 M1 M2 IGCSE Further Maths:174/175 raw marks(A^)
AQA Physics A GCSE Core Science:366/400(A*) GCSE Additional Science:369/400(A*)
AQA Geography GCSE Geography: 350/400(A)
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Lool...you are immune to caffeine :tongue:

I love coca cola :awesome:

Original post by Endless Blue

Tasteless? Boring?!.. :tongue: I can understand, I suppose. I drink tea with milk no sugar and I just love it! :smile: What drinks are you fond of? Ice tea perhaps? :sly:

Yup! :tongue: Haha, I like fizzy drinks :colondollar: Don't drink them that much though. :ninja: But when I'm thirsty, ice cold water is just... :coma:

Original post by Dalek1099
If you took these subjects at AS please tell me how well you performed at GCSE and how well you performed at AS and how hard you worked to achieve them grades:

For maths, A* in GCSE (can't remember by mark, although 185/200 rings a bell) and in AS, A. My module marks were 91 in C1 (worst module in all of A-Level maths :frown: ) and 100 in C2/M1. In S1 for A2, 99. :smile:

For physics, A* in GCSE (again, can't remember my mark, but I think is was 391/400). AS, 114/120 in papers 1 and 2 and 54/60 in the ISA. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Who's excited about Starting year 13?
I am!!:smile: but also nervous and a bit anxious cuz of my Personal statement and retaking one unit and being constant told A2 is way harder :s
But time will tell I guess :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
i accidently made earl grey tea at my friends :lol: i thought i made lemon tea when i made it :lol:

One does not simply accidently make earl grey. :tea: :wink:
Reply 1764

I did C1, C2, M1. I'll be honest I didn't work hard at all throughout the year, it was only a bit before exams that I started working. I got 277/300 in the end, but I was lucky. Once you finish a module, do past papers, not that often just weekly and you'll ace it.
I also did physics, but OCR. M1 will really help you here, a lot of physics is in M1.

Edit: I got A in both at AS and A* in both at GCSE. Forgot to mention. And I got 259/300 in physics. Completely messed up my first exam
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Choppie
One does not simply accidently make earl grey. :tea: :wink:

haha he has 2 pots of tea one is yorkshire and one is earl grey :rofl: it was quite nice though :colondollar:
Reply 1766
Original post by Dimples_ND
Who's excited about Starting year 13?
I am!!:smile: but also nervous and a bit anxious cuz of my Personal statement and retaking one unit and being constant told A2 is way harder :s
But time will tell I guess :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really excited because I like all my subjects and we'll be going to uni soon :biggrin:

I can't speak for the Edexcel exam board (I did MEI for Maths), rumor has it MEI is the hardest (unsure whether true or not). Anyhow, I got a B in GCSE Maths, and a C in GCSE Stats (taken in Year 9), and got a C in C1, and C in C2, and an E in S1.

As for Physics, I am on the OCR exam board so can't speak for AQA, but my GCSE Physics (I did triple science) was an A, and my AS Physics was C (though two more marks spread across any module and it will have been a B).

I haven't taken any of the other subjects.

As a piece of general advice - had I not slacked as much as I did, I could have done far better. GCSE grades aren't a great indication of what someone can achieve at A-Level because of the much larger amount of freedom they have. At GCSE level, a teacher will make sure you don't fail. At A-Level, a teacher will only help if you ask, and only intervene if the situation has become dire and it looks as though you really will fail. Because of this, even if you get good grades in your GCSEs, you may not get good grades at A-Level. It is purely based on how much effort you are willing to put in.

TL;DR - Nobody can say what your A-Levels will be like based on your GCSEs. A teacher will tell you what to do at GCSE level. You tell yourself what to do at A-Level. If you can't study yourself, your grades will suffer.

That's what I learned anyway. And now I am unable to get into the University of Exeter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lilGem
:woo: Then in which case I start my course (officially) on the 25th :biggrin:

Oh that must be so exciting :biggrin: When do you move? :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Turns out its the Thursday :smile: Ah that's good, I think I know why :tongue: I don't know how to feel, I'm looking forward to seeing my friends, but I'm not ready for the work/UCAS stuff

Haha you probably do :tongue: yeah that's true, it's going to be a tough year! A lot of pressure (which I don't deal with well :tongue:)
Original post by adi19956
I am and I'm not. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone every day, but I'm not looking forward to leaving the house at 7am every morning.

7? :eek: Ouch! It kills me to get up around that time, let alone leave for then :tongue:
Original post by Choppie
Monday 2nd September.

Oooh so not long then! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1769
Original post by Lucy96
Oh that must be so exciting :biggrin: When do you move? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

21st :biggrin:

Have my induction timetable and timetable for 2/4 modules really cannot wait :woo:
Original post by Choppie
I can't speak for the Edexcel exam board (I did MEI for Maths), rumor has it MEI is the hardest (unsure whether true or not). Anyhow, I got a B in GCSE Maths, and a C in GCSE Stats (taken in Year 9), and got a C in C1, and C in C2, and an E in S1.

As for Physics, I am on the OCR exam board so can't speak for AQA, but my GCSE Physics (I did triple science) was an A, and my AS Physics was C (though two more marks spread across any module and it will have been a B).

I haven't taken any of the other subjects.

As a piece of general advice - had I not slacked as much as I did, I could have done far better. GCSE grades aren't a great indication of what someone can achieve at A-Level because of the much larger amount of freedom they have. At GCSE level, a teacher will make sure you don't fail. At A-Level, a teacher will only help if you ask, and only intervene if the situation has become dire and it looks as though you really will fail. Because of this, even if you get good grades in your GCSEs, you may not get good grades at A-Level. It is purely based on how much effort you are willing to put in.

TL;DR - Nobody can say what your A-Levels will be like based on your GCSEs. A teacher will tell you what to do at GCSE level. You tell yourself what to do at A-Level. If you can't study yourself, your grades will suffer.

That's what I learned anyway. And now I am unable to get into the University of Exeter.

My teachers advised us a little at GCSE but really I decided what I had to do and didn't really always take the advise of teachers, who said to revise for mocks and although I sometimes revised for mocks RE was the main one I did because we only got 1 lesson a week most of the time I didn't or did very little because I felt that a mock is supposed to show you how well you can do without revision.

To add to this, I started revision for my Summer exams in Easter and my maths teacher, who is also a high figure in the school was saying how we should have revision timetables planned out much earlier than this.I revised using some unique methods and a lot of methods that teachers have not suggested and will do the same at A-Level.

I got 11A*s and 5As but tried really hard at GCSE and found the subjects very hard(Maths and Further Maths were easy though) and I am worried that there isn't that much more that I can do and because A-Levels are much much more harder then I might not do well-I am planning to properly revise fro Maths though and I didn't before but Physics and Geography were very tough and I only got an A in Geography despite what I'd call extremely hard work(30 hours+ for an exam and that was one I got a B(70 UMS) in after a remark and it was a resit).
I am and I'm not. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone every day, but I'm not looking forward to leaving the house at 7am every morning.

Ah, you can join me in that one. Well, not every morning. But my Wednesdays and Thursdays are a horror. Leave the house at 0650 - 0700ish to catch the train at 0719. Finish college at 1635, rush for the 1645 train back home (else risk having to get the 1720 back and arriving at home around 1810), arrive at home station at 1720, be home by 1740 - 1750.

11-hour day anyone?
(edited 10 years ago)

A* in GCSE maths (I did linear so 167/200 raw marks)
C1 A (100/100)
C2 A (86/100)
S1 B (79/100)

I revised a hell of a lot for S1, yet to no prevail
Original post by Lucy96

Haha you probably do :tongue: yeah that's true, it's going to be a tough year! A lot of pressure (which I don't deal with well :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wink: its another challenge though, our final big one before uni, so we need to give it our all. Even though you did do well :smile: at least you're dropping chemistry though, no more :tongue:
Original post by Choppie
:yikes: tea is far better! :wink:

Do you really think so?

Original post by techno836
haha :colondollar: and strangely enough it has to be yorkshire tea :lol:

Hahaha :lol: not good that is :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
I love coca cola :awesome:

Yup! :tongue: Haha, I like fizzy drinks :colondollar: Don't drink them that much though. :ninja: But when I'm thirsty, ice cold water is just... :coma:

For maths, A* in GCSE (can't remember by mark, although 185/200 rings a bell) and in AS, A. My module marks were 91 in C1 (worst module in all of A-Level maths :frown: ) and 100 in C2/M1. In S1 for A2, 99. :smile:

For physics, A* in GCSE (again, can't remember my mark, but I think is was 391/400). AS, 114/120 in papers 1 and 2 and 54/60 in the ISA. :smile:

I have looked over the content of C1 and C2 and C2 looks a lot worse with trigonometry sometimes being a nightmare-there are logs in C2 though and they are quite good-I suppose it depends on the board because quite a lot of the topics are interchangeable between C1 and C2-I'm doing Edexcel at College but I have only really looked at the AQA papers.Usycool1 do you think that Physics AS helped you get 100 UMS in M1?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mynameisntbobk
A* in GCSE maths (I did linear so 167/200 raw marks)
C1 A (100/100)
C2 A (86/100)
S1 B (79/100)

I revised a hell of a lot for S1, yet to no prevail

:wink: its another challenge though, our final big one before uni, so we need to give it our all. Even though you did do well :smile: at least you're dropping chemistry though, no more :tongue:

Do you really think so?

Hahaha :lol: not good that is :tongue:

What board did you sit the linear GCSE in Maths with and when did you sit it?because there is a lot of difference between scraping an A* and a secure A* in Maths.
Reply 1775
My teachers advised us a little at GCSE but really I decided what I had to do and didn't really always take the advise of teachers, who said to revise for mocks and although I sometimes revised for mocks RE was the main one I did because we only got 1 lesson a week most of the time I didn't or did very little because I felt that a mock is supposed to show you how well you can do without revision.

To add to this, I started revision for my Summer exams in Easter and my maths teacher, who is also a high figure in the school was saying how we should have revision timetables planned out much earlier than this.I revised using some unique methods and a lot of methods that teachers have not suggested and will do the same at A-Level.

I got 11A*s and 5As but tried really hard at GCSE and found the subjects very hard(Maths and Further Maths were easy though) and I am worried that there isn't that much more that I can do and because A-Levels are much much more harder then I might not do well-I am planning to properly revise fro Maths though and I didn't before but Physics and Geography were very tough and I only got an A in Geography despite what I'd call extremely hard work(30 hours+ for an exam and that was one I got a B(70 UMS) in after a remark and it was a resit).

At A level I'd say there's only so much you can know, the rest is exam technique. (Not so much maths). I'd advise that you do loads of past papers and give them to your teachers to mark as they won't give you marks just because you 'pretty much got it', they'll mark fairly and should give you feedback.
I got really annoyed by my physics teacher because I thought he marked really harshly, but I'm glad he did, my exam technique really came along and I could answer things as I was expecting the mark scheme to. Do past papers, read the mark schemes, read the examiner's reports and repeat. It becomes repetitive after a while and that's when you've cracked it

At A level I'd say there's only so much you can know, the rest is exam technique. (Not so much maths). I'd advise that you do loads of past papers and give them to your teachers to mark as they won't give you marks just because you 'pretty much got it', they'll mark fairly and should give you feedback.
I got really annoyed by my physics teacher because I thought he marked really harshly, but I'm glad he did, my exam technique really came along and I could answer things as I was expecting the mark scheme to. Do past papers, read the mark schemes, read the examiner's reports and repeat. It becomes repetitive after a while and that's when you've cracked it

I think its probably better if they mark harshly because it gives you a much better idea of what evil minds examiners can have and how to make sure you don't miss out on easy marks by not pleasing the examiner with key vocabulary and clear explanations.
Reply 1777
Original post by Choppie
Ah, you can join me in that one. Well, not every morning. But my Wednesdays and Thursdays are a horror. Leave the house at 0650 - 0700ish to catch the train at 0719. Finish college at 1635, rush for the 1645 train back home (else risk having to get the 1720 back and arriving at home around 1810), arrive at home station at 1720, be home by 1740 - 1750.

11-hour day anyone?

Well most days it's 0700 to 1730 so a 10.5 hour day, but some days, because I only have a choice of two buses, one at 1610 and one at 1730, I can get home at 1830 - 1900 so an 11.5 - 12 hour day. That's usually only once or twice a fortnight though. It's been like this since year 7.
The benefits of private school.

Reply 1778
Am I the only one who's terrified of uni? I'll have to be switched on all the time, there won't be anywhere to hide or relax. And I won't have TV, there'll be an unfamiliar bed, and I know I'll miss home so much. :s-smilie:
Original post by usycool1
Feel free to vent all you like! :tongue:

It's not over at all, it was just one grade (and a B grade is very good!). As I said, ask you teachers if you should put your UMS down for English or not...that way, they'll be able to see that it was just one exam which may work in your favour. :yep:

Life's horrible sometimes. :sad: But we get through it all eventually! :awesome:
I feel like I should be a lot happier with a B than I am, but I kind of feel ashamed of it, especially when people ask me English questions on here and in real life. Oh well. Somehow I'll get where I want to be, even if it takes an extra year. :tongue: That's a good idea, but thinking about it I don't think I did particularly brilliantly in coursework either (69/80). That was disappointing. Something to improve on though!

True, true! :awesome: Relaxing with Bridget Jones again now :love:

Original post by Endless Blue
How can you people not like tea :rant: :fuhrer:
It's terrible! It's just oddly flavoured water, and it makes my stomach turn more than anything. Coffee all the way! It's the only thing that gets me up in the morning. :biggrin:
Reply 1779
Well most days it's 0700 to 1730 so a 10.5 hour day, but some days, because I only have a choice of two buses, one at 1610 and one at 1730, I can get home at 1830 - 1900 so an 11.5 - 12 hour day. That's usually only once or twice a fortnight though. It's been like this since year 7.
The benefits of private school.

I thought I had it bad. 7:20am - 5:45pm.

Latest