The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Wolverhampton University (starting September 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Im starting Adult Nursing at Walsall Campus :biggrin: so excited now!
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Original post by bethlxxx
Im starting Adult Nursing at Walsall Campus :biggrin: so excited now!

I'm gonna be at walsall too :smile: doing childhood, family and special needs
Reply 142
Original post by laurablondejayne
Yay same here!! So excited to start! :biggrin: are you on Facebook?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay!! Yes i'm on FB. Hayley McGahan x :tongue:
Am doing child nursing at Walsall so nervous don't know anybody when don't start?
Original post by shelbysloan
Am doing child nursing at Walsall so nervous don't know anybody when don't start?

Hi, im studying childrens nursing at the Walsall campus. At the new cross hospital for placement though.
Original post by HayMc79
Yay!! Yes i'm on FB. Hayley McGahan x :tongue:

Okay ill add you in a bit :smile:
I just realised your post said Walsall, I'm at city but will still be good to get to know someone on the same course :') x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heyy, i'm doing Childrens Nursing at Walsall and have Dudley as my placement :smile: xx
Reply 147
Hi! I'm interested in doing child nursing after my Foundation Degree. What sort of background and experiences do you all have? Also, what is the interview process like?

Thank you! :biggrin: xx
Original post by lenabeana
Hi! I'm interested in doing child nursing after my Foundation Degree. What sort of background and experiences do you all have? Also, what is the interview process like?

Thank you! :biggrin: xx

Hiya, I'm doing adult nursing so slightly different but I'm a school leaver so have only just done my alevels, my experience isn't a great list, I had work experience in a special needs school and have helped out with family members who have health problems, just being able to show your skills such as time management and being a good listener and communicator is essential :') the interview plays a big part in the interviewers getting a feel for your personality and knowing you're the right person for the course, personal statements are also essential in getting across personality and key skills which are beneficial and will set you apart from others

Good luck and if you need anything just say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Fantastic! I've worked as a Teaching Assistant and Cover Supervisor in a junior school for a number of years and I'm also one of 2 first aiders. I have other qualifications relating to children but not specifically healthcare.

I was also a little worried that I have no real experience of working in a hospital or other healthcare setting! The Foundation Degree I will be studying is 'Supporting Children in Primary Education'- again, not health related but the uni say they'll accept it and it's the only qual I can do part time and work based that will get me on the degree.

Thanks for replying back to me! :smile: xx

(p.s Good luck on your future Nursing career!)
Fantastic! I've worked as a Teaching Assistant and Cover Supervisor in a junior school for a number of years and I'm also one of 2 first aiders. I have other qualifications relating to children but not specifically healthcare.

I was also a little worried that I have no real experience of working in a hospital or other healthcare setting! The Foundation Degree I will be studying is 'Supporting Children in Primary Education'- again, not health related but the uni say they'll accept it and it's the only qual I can do part time and work based that will get me on the degree.

You have a lot of relevant experience! It's not all got to be health care based, your experience shows how much interest and enthusiasm you have for being around children and their general well being :smile: I wouldn't worry about it too much, you definitely sound like you're on the right track, just make sure you sell yourself in your personal statement with your relevant qualities and experience and in any interviews you have :')
If the uni will accept it then go for it, with all your relevant experience you will be able to set yourself apart from many if you show it well :smile: try and get your application in as early as possible too, I had to wait 2 weeks after my interview to find out their decision so the sooner you get your application sent the sooner you'll have your interview and you will have a better chance at getting in too :smile:

No problem, like I say feel free to ask anything and ill try to ask as best and as fully as I can :smile:

Oo and in your personal statement try and slip in about having a healthy work/life balance (providing you have one which im sure you will!) to show you can cope with the demands of jobs/work as well as keeping a decent social life too :smile:

Thank you! I start in a week and a half and can't bloody wait now! :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Hi , i was wondering how many qualifications you need to get to do adult nursing as i am intrested in doing the same.. My college is a complete waste and are only allowing me to do two Alevels . Will i be able to get into adult nursing with 2 alevels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Entry Requirements straight off their website

2013 Entry

GCSEs at grade C or above in an English based subject and Maths or equivalent qualifications (e.g. Key Skills Level 2/ Learn Direct Level 2/ Functional Skills Level 2).

PLUS EITHER

240 UCAS points with a minimum of 200 UCAS points from A levels or equivalent
BTEC National Diploma at a MMM grade/ BTEC National Certificate at a DD grade
BTEC QCF Extended Diploma at grade MMM/BTEC QCF Diploma at grade DD
OCR National Diploma at a D grade / OCR National Extended Diploma at a M3 grade
CACHE Level 3 Diploma at a C grade
Access to HE Diploma Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 with at least 24 of these Level 3 credits at Merit or Distinction. You are also required to achieve 12 credits at Level 2 or 3 in English and 12 credits at Level 2 or 3 in Mathematics if you have not already achieved GCSE English and Maths at grade C.
Foundation degrees /HND/ HNC will be considered with GCSE Mathematics grade C or equivalent.

Undergraduate or Postgraduate degrees will be considered without the GCSE requirement

If you've got other qualifications or relevant experience please consult the UCAS tariff tables or contact us before applying.

International student language requirements and application guidance can be found at http://www.wlv.ac.uk/international/apply

Other Requirements

Applicants will also be required to provide satisfactory personal statement and reference (academic or employer).

Those meeting the entry requirements may be shortlisted for interview and will be subsequently required to meet enhanced CRB checks and Occupational Health requirements.

Please note only students meeting the eligibility criteria for an NHS bursary can be accepted on this course. Please visit www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students for further information relating to residency and eligibility criteria.
Reply 153

Hi, your experience can all be referred to as transferable skills on your personal statement. It's definitely all relevant. Use your PS to show your plan eg this foundation degree is a means to an end and its a stepping stone to get you to your goal. They love that :wink: other than that try and get some voluntary work to back you up. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by HayMc79
Hi, your experience can all be referred to as transferable skills on your personal statement. It's definitely all relevant. Use your PS to show your plan eg this foundation degree is a means to an end and its a stepping stone to get you to your goal. They love that :wink: other than that try and get some voluntary work to back you up. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! I'm enquiring at a children's hospice for volunteering a few hours a week. I'm also thinking about joining St Johns Ambulance (but that would depend on work/course commitments).

Thanks for your advice! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurablondejayne
Yay I'm doing adult nursing too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And me :-) c u on the 9th
Original post by Hollietarnowski
And me :-) c u on the 9th

Woo! See you there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi. is anybody moving in on the 8th? this sunday to walsall campus?
Reply 158
I'm living at home while studying at wolverhampton but my course is at walsall campus. No one seems to be doing physical activity exercise & health with me though -.-
Hi, I'm doing sports studies at Walsall campus and staying at home. Where abouts are you from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending