The Student Room Group

Gcse spanish aqa reading/listening 17 may 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
In my writing unit 4 it got moderated and stayed at full UMS 90/90, got an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chatty
Has anyone heard whether it the grades were moderated for individuals or for the school.

The writing assessments aren't marked internally by the school and then moderated externally, your teachers will give you a predicted mark and the work will be marked externally. That's why the marks are so prone to change as often teachers predictions are incorrect.
Reply 262
Original post by Joe7
The writing assessments aren't marked internally by the school and then moderated externally, your teachers will give you a predicted mark and the work will be marked externally. That's why the marks are so prone to change as often teachers predictions are incorrect.

That means I can't really blame my teacher for giving me a low mark which is what I thought was the case! Can you have the CA remarked?
Original post by chatty
That means I can't really blame my teacher for giving me a low mark which is what I thought was the case! Can you have the CA remarked?

You could seek to blame your teacher for giving you a totally inaccurate predicted mark compared to your actual mark, but for the mark itself no you can't blame your teacher. I wouldn't seek to pin the blame on your teacher however, because extremely low marks compared to predicted marks seems to be commonplace this year in Spanish. I think the teachers, just as the students, have been taken completely by surprise.
Reply 264
Original post by Joe7
You could seek to blame your teacher for giving you a totally inaccurate predicted mark compared to your actual mark, but for the mark itself no you can't blame your teacher. I wouldn't seek to pin the blame on your teacher however, because extremely low marks compared to predicted marks seems to be commonplace this year in Spanish. I think the teachers, just as the students, have been taken completely by surprise.

Okay so you can't get the writing CAs to be moderated? I got full ums on reading and an A* in listening, told I had an A* in speaking and full marks in writing, but the writing and speaking got moderated to As.
I've worked it out, I need about 4 raw marks for an A*, just by the speaking as I presume the writings cannot be marked again.
Original post by a123a
Okay so you can't get the writing CAs to be moderated? I got full ums on reading and an A* in listening, told I had an A* in speaking and full marks in writing, but the writing and speaking got moderated to As.
I've worked it out, I need about 4 raw marks for an A*, just by the speaking as I presume the writings cannot be marked again.

I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that whilst you cannot get your Spanish Speaking re-moderated without everyone who did Spanish in your year being re-moderated as well, it's possible for you to get your Writing re-marked.
Original post by a123a
huh I don't understand. If the writing is externally moderated would their be a chance of it improving? I guess that's just an equivalent to a exam re mark.

See people in other classes were moderated and their teacher were too lenient in their markings so if affected my speaking a lot. Lost about 10 ums and I need 7 ums for an A*.

I think you may be a little confused.

The writing coursework is not moderated. Your teacher will probably have given you a predicted mark for your writing coursework, but he/she will not have marked the coursework. The writing coursework is sent off to AQA to be marked by an examiner. You should be able to request a remark of your writing coursework if you so choose. If you do, it will be marked by a chief examiner and a new mark issued.

The speaking coursework on the other hand is marked by your teacher then moderated externally. Your teacher will have marked your coursework and then some people within your year will have had their coursework sent off to AQA to be moderated. Their moderated marks will have then been used to increase/reduce the marks of the rest of the people within your year depending on whether your teachers had marked too harshly or leniently. As far as I know you cannot request for your own speaking coursework to be re-moderated because the speaking coursework is moderated on a school by school basis. However, your school can request to have the speaking coursework of everyone in your year re-moderated.
Reply 267
Original post by Joe7
I think you may be a little confused.

The writing coursework is not moderated. Your teacher will probably have given you a predicted mark for your writing coursework, but he/she will not have marked the coursework. The writing coursework is sent off to AQA to be marked by an examiner. You should be able to request a remark of your writing coursework if you so choose. If you do, it will be marked by a chief examiner and a new mark issued.

The speaking coursework on the other hand is marked by your teacher then moderated externally. Your teacher will have marked your coursework and then some people within your year will have had their coursework sent off to AQA to be moderated. Their moderated marks will have then been used to increase/reduce the marks of the rest of the people within your year depending on whether your teachers had marked too harshly or leniently. As far as I know you cannot request for your own speaking coursework to be re-moderated because the speaking coursework is moderated on a school by school basis. However, your school can request to have the speaking coursework of everyone in your year re-moderated.

I have no hope of that ever happening - speaking coursework being moderated for the school. I so don't think I should have got a B in it!
Hey, could anyone who sat the AQA May/June 2013 Spanish higher listening paper tell me what topics I'd need to look at before I sit the paper? Or if anyone has access to the paper please send me the link! Muchos appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending