Original post by _phoebe
I'm planning on taking:

French HL
German HL
English Literature HL
History SL
Maths SL
Biology SL

BUT I haven't got a GCSE in French as I only learnt it for two years at secondary school. I have done Italian at GCSE as well as German so my teacher thinks I will pick up French quickly as I can pick up new languages well, but I'm worried that it'll be too difficult as it's not ab initio? Should I take French?

Absolutely not. I've done 7 years of French and got a 6 at SL. I also got an A at GCSE French.
Reply 1181
Original post by _phoebe
I'm planning on taking:

French HL
German HL
English Literature HL
History SL
Maths SL
Biology SL

BUT I haven't got a GCSE in French as I only learnt it for two years at secondary school. I have done Italian at GCSE as well as German so my teacher thinks I will pick up French quickly as I can pick up new languages well, but I'm worried that it'll be too difficult as it's not ab initio? Should I take French?

Original post by Mellomum
If you are attempting French B at HL you should have at least the equivalent of GCSE/IGCSE French grade A, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Calllu-m
Absolutely not. I've done 7 years of French and got a 6 at SL. I also got an A at GCSE French.

Agreed. It's highly unlikely that you'll survive literature. I don't know about French, but I know a semi-native Spanish speaker who tajes Spanish HL and she's only predicted a 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: I'm starting the IB and I want to pursue a degree in possibly Law or another social science- still quite undecided.
My current IB choices are

HL-

Philosophy
English Lang +lit
Psychology

SL-

Chinese B
Maths st.
Chem

Although I also kind of want to study econ despite not having a gcse in it. If I did I would do it instead of psych.
Any advice?
Reply 1183
Original post by Trisha_
Hi :smile: so I'm in the 10 grade, I have to decide on IB subjects for next year.
I think I'm going with
English HL
french SL/hl
Economics/ history HL/sl
business /psychology Hl
Biology sl
Math SL

I want to do either business or law after school. Do I need any specific subjects? I've heard that business and management is looked down on. Do I need history for law? Also, is there any way I could drop a science and take an extra group 3 subject. I can't decide between business, Eco, psychology and history. I've done business and Eco for the past three years, but psychology and history sound interesting. Can u explain to me which subject will be the best option?

No specific subjects needed for law or business at uni, at least in the UK. Definitely do not take business and economics, they are so similar that universities don't like it, I would take economics and history so the option of business or law is wide open ( history isn't essential for law but similar skills are gained from it). You may be able to use psychology as our science but I honestly have no idea so I would check this out with your school. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 1184
Original post by gravesy
No specific subjects needed for law or business at uni, at least in the UK. Definitely do not take business and economics, they are so similar that universities don't like it, I would take economics and history so the option of business or law is wide open ( history isn't essential for law but similar skills are gained from it). You may be able to use psychology as our science but I honestly have no idea so I would check this out with your school. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'd love to do psychology too. I'll ask my school but I doubt they'll let me ditch a science.
Original post by AquisM
Agreed. It's highly unlikely that you'll survive literature. I don't know about French, but I know a semi-native Spanish speaker who tajes Spanish HL and she's only predicted a 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thank you! I'm taking Psychology instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1186
Could I have some help?
My preferred line, after uni is chartered accountancy, finance or law, and I've selected English HL, Economics HL, Geography HL, Spanish Ab nitio and Maths SL. However, for my last SL i am disputing between Enviromental systems and physics. Considering my desired lines, which of the subjects should I take?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1187
Original post by yashsp
Could I have some help?
My preferred line, after uni is chartered accountancy, finance or law, and I've selected English HL, Economics HL, Geography HL, Spanish Ab nitio and Maths SL. However, for my last SL i am disputing between Enviromental systems and physics. Considering my desired lines, which of the subjects should I take?

My opinion would be to take Physics, due to three reasons: a) Physics is traditionally more mathematical, which will complement accountancy/finance; b) I've heard from friends that ESS is no walk in the park - their IAs can be longer than EEs, and c) Physics is traditionally more respected by unis, despite the difficulty of ESS. However, bear in mind that I take neither of the subjects though (I do take Physics HL, which is not very hard so I guess SL will be OK too), and that given it's an SL subject, unis probably won't really care as long as you get a good score in whichever one you pick. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 1188
What is the best Group 3 subject according to you from Economics, History, Psychology and Business and Managemnt ??? I can't decide which 2 subjects I want to take. Everybody says that Eco and His are more academic whereas B&m is vocational what about psychology. I consider getting into business but I'm not sure anymore.
Original post by Trisha_
What is the best Group 3 subject according to you from Economics, History, Psychology and Business and Managemnt ??? I can't decide which 2 subjects I want to take. Everybody says that Eco and His are more academic whereas B&m is vocational what about psychology. I consider getting into business but I'm not sure anymore.

History, geography philosophy and economics are more widely considered academic than psychology, B&M, SCA, ITGS etc :smile: Do economics, if you want to do business
Hey everyone I'd like to pursue dentistry and these are the subjects I've chosen:

HL
Bio
Chem
English Lit

SL
Philosophy
Maths Studies
French

Would you say these subject choices are alright?
Original post by goldenshades
Hey everyone I'd like to pursue dentistry and these are the subjects I've chosen:

HL
Bio
Chem
English Lit

SL
Philosophy
Maths Studies
French

Would you say these subject choices are alright?

Absolutely. The only thing you might think of is Maths instead of Maths Studies, just to keep your options a bit more open if you think you can handle it, but for dentistry that's great :smile:
Original post by Saoirse:3
Absolutely. The only thing you might think of is Maths instead of Maths Studies, just to keep your options a bit more open if you think you can handle it, but for dentistry that's great :smile:

Supposedly for most dentistry and medical schools you only need maths studies now!
Supposedly for most dentistry and medical schools you only need maths studies now!

Yeah, I'd say for those two you'd be fine, but I know so many people who've completely changed what they want to do during the 2 years of IB. Plus, even if it isn't a requirement, that doesn't mean it wouldn't help your chances at some places either...
Original post by Saoirse:3
Yeah, I'd say for those two you'd be fine, but I know so many people who've completely changed what they want to do during the 2 years of IB. Plus, even if it isn't a requirement, that doesn't mean it wouldn't help your chances at some places either...

True, but most courses involving bio and chem don't require maths at all I don't think. Plus, it'd be better for the OP to get a 7 in Math Studies without much work, especially as HL Chem is so hard.
True, but most courses involving bio and chem don't require maths at all I don't think. Plus, it'd be better for the OP to get a 7 in Math Studies without much work, especially as HL Chem is so hard.

That's a pretty dangerous attitude though - it's very easy to slack off a bit in Maths Studies and miss those top grades. There's certainly arguments either way, but it's something to consider.
Does anyone know if you can take the IB as an external (private) candidate?
Original post by AlexKay99
Does anyone know if you can take the IB as an external (private) candidate?

Yes, you can. You can enter yourself at a centre as a private candidate to take exams. I'm not sure how IAs would work. I wouldn't advise self teaching the IB though. VERY bad idea.
Yes, you can. You can enter yourself at a centre as a private candidate to take exams. I'm not sure how IAs would work. I wouldn't advise self teaching the IB though. VERY bad idea.

OK, thank you for your reply, I have already done a similar qualification so it wont be as if I'm starting from 'scratch' although I heard it is hard. Can you tell me if there are any compulsory subjects I have to take at IB?
Reply 1199
Original post by AlexKay99
OK, thank you for your reply, I have already done a similar qualification so it wont be as if I'm starting from 'scratch' although I heard it is hard. Can you tell me if there are any compulsory subjects I have to take at IB?

"A candidate for the IB diploma or certificates must be registered by an IB World school for each intended examination session and must take the requisite courses and examinations at that school." Source: http://www.ibo.org/documentlibrary/regs_ibworldschools/documents/DP_regs_en.pdf

I'm not sure if that prohibits external candidates or not, but with regards to your question, if you're doing the IB Diploma then you must choose to study six subjects, 3/4 at higher level (HL) and 2/3 at standard level (SL). There aren't many differences between HL and SL for most subjects, SL usually just goes into less depth, and that some subjects are SL only. The six subjects have to correspond to six different groups:

Group 1: (Native) Language for studies in literature
Group 2: Foreign language
Group 3: Individuals and societies (humanities fall into this group)
Group 4: Experimental sciences (including Computer Science and DT)
Group 5: Mathematics (compulsory - only choice in level: Studies, SL and HL in order from easiest to hardest)
Group 6: Arts (optional - can be replaced by one subject from any of the five other groups)

There are some subjects that are quite unique to IB and might not be heard of in other qualifications, such as Environmental Systems & Societies (both Group 3 and 4, SL only) and Information Technology in a Global Society (Group 3). Check the IB website for more information about them: www.ibo.org

In addition, you must complete 3 core components: Theory of Knowledge (TOK - which is like a cross between philosophy and critical thinking), CAS (Creativity, Action, Service - extra-curricular activities of a creative, sports or community service nature done regularly throughout the program) and an Extended Essay (EE - a 4000 word research essay on a topic of your choice pertaining to any subject that the IB provides).

You can check the IB website for more information about subject choices and restrictions: www.ibo.org
(edited 10 years ago)