The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by cheesypuff
Hi ya, how did u get that ukcat score if ya don't mind me asking?������

Hey, I don't mind at all:smile:

I did the two practice tests from the ukcat website just to get used to the timings, the onscreen calculator and to read the instructions properly because it makes the real thing a whole lot easier if you've already read and understood the instructions! Other than that, I barely did any practice questions..I don't think they help as you never know the kind of questions you'll get!

I definitely think keeping calm on the day helped a lot :redface: don't worry if you do awful in the practice tests because my scores were terrible on them...

Good luck!
Original post by Benjy123
Hey, I don't mind at all:smile:

I did the two practice tests from the ukcat website just to get used to the timings, the onscreen calculator and to read the instructions properly because it makes the real thing a whole lot easier if you've already read and understood the instructions! Other than that, I barely did any practice questions..I don't think they help as you never know the kind of questions you'll get!

I definitely think keeping calm on the day helped a lot :redface: don't worry if you do awful in the practice tests because my scores were terrible on them...

Good luck!

What classifies as terrible ? :P
Reply 442
Original post by cheesypuff
What classifies as terrible ? :P

Well it doesn't give you a proper score, it just tells you how many you got correct and I didn't get a lot hahaha...so just don't let it scare you!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Benjy123
Well it doesn't give you a proper score, it just tells you how many you got correct and I didn't get a lot hahaha...so just don't let it scare you!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, that happens to me too! Practice is never a true representation of my abilities.:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hey, what are the PBL places, what does it stand for? and what are the universities in the PBL?

Thanks =)

Hey buddy! "PBL" is problem-based learning. It's just another method of learning used within the universities, and a lot of medical schools in the UK use it as part of their curriculum. "PBL universities" are just universities who use it as a main component of their teaching.

There's a bit written about PBL and how it's used in the UK in this wikipedia article.
And lots more written on the pedagogy of PBL here.
Anyone coming to the Aberdeen open day this week? Looking forward to seeing this years applicants!
Reply 446
Hiya
What medical schools offer interviews solely based on academics and UKCAT? As I want to apply to at least one uni that I will have a guaranteed interview at.
I have 10A*'s 1A at GCSE, 4A's at AS and a 760 UKCAT average. I'm not planning on sitting the BMAT!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LibbyG
Hiya
What medical schools offer interviews solely based on academics and UKCAT? As I want to apply to at least one uni that I will have a guaranteed interview at.
I have 10A*'s 1A at GCSE, 4A's at AS and a 760 UKCAT average. I'm not planning on sitting the BMAT!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Birmingham and Cardiff for the academics, Newcastle, Durham, Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow and Hull York for the UKCAT :smile: King's use both A*s at GCSE and UKCAT so that would be a pretty safe bet and if you've got good ECs you could go for Edinburgh :smile: I think you'd also guarantee yourself an interview at Leicester as well with those academics/UKCAT combo! You've basically put yourself in a very very good position and I'm slightly jealous :tongue:
Reply 448
Best uni options for me?

GCSE: 4 A*s, 8 As
AS: 3 As, 1 B
A2: (Predicted 2 A* and an A for Further Maths)

...and I doubt I'm going to do very well on the UKCAT! (Advice, anyone?)

(preferably London unis)
Reply 449
Original post by georgiee_
Birmingham and Cardiff for the academics, Newcastle, Durham, Southampton, Manchester, Glasgow and Hull York for the UKCAT :smile: King's use both A*s at GCSE and UKCAT so that would be a pretty safe bet and if you've got good ECs you could go for Edinburgh :smile: I think you'd also guarantee yourself an interview at Leicester as well with those academics/UKCAT combo! You've basically put yourself in a very very good position and I'm slightly jealous :tongue:

Thank you that's really helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
I'm a UK student, was wondering if anyone had opinions on where I should apply? (undergraduate medicine)

UKCAT score of 710 SJT1
11A*s at GCSE
4As in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and English Lit at AS
and a lot of relevant work experience and volunteering

I'm hearing both on TSR and from everyone else taking it that scores are high this year on the UKCAT, but of the non-test universities only Birmingham seems a viable option.

I'm planning on applying to Newcastle and King's as UKCAT universities and UCL as a BMAT if all goes to plan... :s-smilie:
Reply 451
Hey guys! (I'm new to TSR!) I'm also looking for some advice :')

For GCSE:
I got 9 A* and 2 As
But for AS, i got A in Biology, A in English, B in chemistry and a D in Physics. :frown: I am dropping Physics this year.
I havent got my predicted grades yet but i'm thinking it could be AAA. Maybe pred. A* in English.
I'll be doing my UKCAT mid-sept !

I have lots of relevant work experience in the UK and in India. I also have experience working in a charity in India for free meals for people coming to hospitals burdened with hospital fees.
I have volunteered in a care home for almost 5 months.
I am doing grade 5 music (practical and theory soon)
I organised and gave a presentation to a large audience in an Indian school for FIRST AID awareness, as first aid awareness is severely lacking there, esp. in South India.
I am a trained Peer mentor at my school.
I am also a Young leader and eligible to referee Volleyball
I play badminton and netball.
I have gotten very good feedback about my personal statement.

To be honest, my AS grades are what's scaring me... I really think that I can do better in year 13 as it was just a complacent attitude that let me down, and i plan to change that! I really didnt work hard enough throughout year 12.

It's just really scary and i need some advice on where i should apply and what you guys think of all of this?
Reply 452
Original post by TheAsian
Best uni options for me?

GCSE: 4 A*s, 8 As
AS: 3 As, 1 B
A2: (Predicted 2 A* and an A for Further Maths)

...and I doubt I'm going to do very well on the UKCAT! (Advice, anyone?)

(preferably London unis)

I'm not really too sure about London schools?

Most of them use BMAT.. Oxford (avoid as they want high no. of A*), UCL, Imperial.. unless your up for the BMAT?

There's Kings but they prefer high academics or high UKCAT?

If your doubtful on UKCAT, consider the ones that don't look at it:
Liverpool
Bristol
Lancaster
And those that don't give it much emphasis:
Keele
Brighton
UEA

Really can't tell without your UKCAT though :/
Come back once you have your score, then we can give you some help :smile:
Guys what do u all think about applying to both Newcastle and Durham? Is it a good idea?
Original post by Joannywhite
Guys what do u all think about applying to both Newcastle and Durham? Is it a good idea?

I think that if you have a really high ukcat 725+ maybe then I don't see why not :smile:
Original post by twixx
Hey guys! (I'm new to TSR!) I'm also looking for some advice :')

For GCSE:
I got 9 A* and 2 As
But for AS, i got A in Biology, A in English, B in chemistry and a D in Physics. :frown: I am dropping Physics this year.
I havent got my predicted grades yet but i'm thinking it could be AAA. Maybe pred. A* in English.
I'll be doing my UKCAT mid-sept !

I have lots of relevant work experience in the UK and in India. I also have experience working in a charity in India for free meals for people coming to hospitals burdened with hospital fees.
I have volunteered in a care home for almost 5 months.
I am doing grade 5 music (practical and theory soon)
I organised and gave a presentation to a large audience in an Indian school for FIRST AID awareness, as first aid awareness is severely lacking there, esp. in South India.
I am a trained Peer mentor at my school.
I am also a Young leader and eligible to referee Volleyball
I play badminton and netball.
I have gotten very good feedback about my personal statement.

To be honest, my AS grades are what's scaring me... I really think that I can do better in year 13 as it was just a complacent attitude that let me down, and i plan to change that! I really didnt work hard enough throughout year 12.

It's just really scary and i need some advice on where i should apply and what you guys think of all of this?

Regarding where to apply ..... first of all you need to rule out those Med schools that have a grade requirement for the 4th subject at AS level. (see TSR med school A level requirements). Then you are best to weigh up the options after you have done the UKCAT and pull out all the stops to get a good score. If you apply to where you think you have the best chance of interview then you may find yourself applying to somewhere you haven't visited. If this is the case DO go to the Open Days in October. Although the UCAS deadline is before many open days you will pick up useful tips for interview and also get a good feel for the medical school/city which will help inform your thinking if you have to choose between offers.
Whatever happens you really need to get your teachers on side and get an EXCELLENT reference. Make sure they predict A's/A* - and say that they are confident you will achieve them. If you get a fab UKCAT score in addition to your great GCSE grades, then admission tutors will see that the A level predictions are sound. Your personal statement should be a strength but don't take any chances - get it checked by TSR etc.
Be confident, apply wisely and Good luck!
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me how sensible my uni choices are in terms of realistic chances of getting in..
Stats:
GCSE: 8A*s 3As (one of the A*s, Maths, was taken a year earlier.. I was made to take AS Use of Maths in year 11 which I got an A in)
AS: AAAA in the three sciences and Govt+Politics
UKCAT: 715 average; no sections below 600

Uni choices:
Nottingham
Birmingham
Manchester
Keele (my 'safe' option)

Got a good range of volunteering/work experience/EC/contributing to school community etc
But I was unable to secure a hospital placement due to all the awkward hospitals around me ._. There's a possibility of a post-application placement I am currently trying to get though, that I could mention in my ps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
I think ive finally finalised my uni choices:

Sheffield
UEA
Manchester
Leicester

My stats are:

5A*s 6As 1B at GCSE
4As at AS
692.5 UKCAT

Do you think these are sensible choices, or are there other units that I would be better off applying for? I get 57/60 for Leicester's scoring system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

A*AAA at a level,
ukcat 700

many work placements

gsce 5A* 4A

where should I apply so I am most likely for an interview?

inwas thinking brighton, at George, keele, and hull york

what do you think?
Reply 459
hello everyone im new to this
I need advice,which unis do I stand a chance in?

GCSEs: 8A*s 3As
As Levels: Chemistry (A) Physics (A) Maths (A) Critical Thinking (B)

But my Biology As Level is not fully completed, have an A in Unit 1 and A in Unit 2, however I haven't done my practicals. I'm doing them this year, along with my whole A2.

Also my further maths As Level in not completed, have an A in FP1 and B in D1, and I'm taking the third module this next year.

UKCAT: 622.7 average :frown: with 540 lowest score :/

I think I'll be able to get predicted A*A*AA
Where should I apply to give myself the biggest chance?

Also forgot to add, have done a plenty of work experience and volunteering in care homes, but don't have any specific hobbies

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending