The Student Room Group

YINI 2013 applicants (starting 2014)

Hi,

Has anybody else signed up for the YINI scheme this year?

I'm in the North region and would like to stay up here but I'm guessing they will end up giving me offers anywhere but! Got my phone interview with them tomorrow to discuss what I'm after :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Went really well! They're gonna try and find me something this year but it's not too likely as it's a bit late- if not then they reckon there'll be something for me next year :biggrin: excited!!!
Reply 2
Hi, when are you hoping to start your YINI? I was thinking of applying soon to start next Summer/Autumn :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by roar96
Hi, when are you hoping to start your YINI? I was thinking of applying soon to start next Summer/Autumn :smile:

Hiya Everyone! I am also from the north, and I just applied to join YINI, but I did not have a lot of practical skills in my CV. Quite worried about getting a place. How did you guys find the CV section of the application form? and can we still make amends?
Reply 4
Original post by junior334
How did you guys find the CV section of the application form? and can we still make amends?

I was a little stuck for practical skills too, although I did some how find something to fill the box! Overall the CV section wasn't too bad though having already written my personal statement for ucas. I definitely read something saying we'd be able to edit things after and I think they help us edit and improve it. :smile: I didn't have enough to write about work experience though... :/
Reply 5
im getting a phone tomorrow i live in London will there be any positions of employment where i live???
Reply 6
Anyone going to the Assessment Day in Southampton on the 23rd October? I've just emailed to book a place on it. :smile:
Reply 7
Hi guys,

little bit of advertising here for a YINI scheme. If you are looking for a STEM based YINI scheme there is one offered by Halliburton in their software department. This is (usually) for students who have completed the first two years of a computer science course. I was there on a summer placement and they take two YINI students on each year. It really is a fantastic opportunity :smile:
How's everyone's YINI applications going?
Reply 9
I'm in the South East and have applied for before University.

I've been offered an interview next week with a company called 42 Technology.
And I applied to Fort Halstead with DSTL, did anyone else? Cause I have no idea when to expect to hear about interviews....
Reply 10
Original post by audi_turbo

Just accepted a placement with Delphi at their Stonehouse site in one of their Development roles :biggrin:

So excited for next year! Emailed all my university options and they've all said ok to deferring my entry apart from Durham who I still haven't heard whether or not I've got an offer from!

I cannot wait :biggrin:
Reply 11
Hi, I'm thinking about putting in a YINI application very soon but I want to a) develop my CV info some more and b) hear back from my first choice of project for the year. Nice to meet you all. :smile:

I've applied for chemistry starting in 2015, so I'd like to work in a lab which covers something related to chemistry and/or biology. Anyone else looking into similar placements here?

Put my name down for quite few but heard nothing as yet. Seems like a waste of time / money to me so far...
Reply 13
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Put my name down for quite few but heard nothing as yet. Seems like a waste of time / money to me so far...

Just wait it out :smile: I was getting rather fed up with the process and just applied for anything I could. I then got an interview with Delphi and have been offered and accepted a placement there. Really can't wait to start!

Good Luck!
:biggrin:
Original post by roar96
Just wait it out :smile: I was getting rather fed up with the process and just applied for anything I could. I then got an interview with Delphi and have been offered and accepted a placement there. Really can't wait to start!

Good Luck!
:biggrin:

hey, how long did you have to wait after you sent off your passport/birth certificate to hear back from them?
Reply 15
Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
hey, how long did you have to wait after you sent off your passport/birth certificate to hear back from them?

Less than a week I think. Had to ring them up though as they said they hadn't received it even though I'd definitely sent the email to the correct address. If it's taking a long time I suggests phoning them as the people in the office were lovely and sorted everything for me. :biggrin:
Original post by roar96
Less than a week I think. Had to ring them up though as they said they hadn't received it even though I'd definitely sent the email to the correct address. If it's taking a long time I suggests phoning them as the people in the office were lovely and sorted everything for me. :biggrin:

thank you :smile:
if anyone here could tell me what kind of things to expect from the interview with the YINI people it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
if anyone here could tell me what kind of things to expect from the interview with the YINI people it would be much appreciated :smile:

It was really nothing you could prepare for. I was asked why I wanted to do engineering and why I wanted to do a year in industry, what sort of placements I wanted. As long as you display a positive attitude and general enthusiasm for YINI it'll be no problem at all :smile:
It was really nothing you could prepare for. I was asked why I wanted to do engineering and why I wanted to do a year in industry, what sort of placements I wanted. As long as you display a positive attitude and general enthusiasm for YINI it'll be no problem at all :smile:

Ah ok thank you. I was hoping it would be something like this. I'm kinda good at this sort of thing so hopefully it won't be too bad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest