The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I've got my UKCAT exam in two weeks but I'm only starting revision tomorrow, is it enough time?

I somehow feel like I've wasted too much time procrastinating...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
I've got my UKCAT exam in two weeks but I'm only starting revision tomorrow, is it enough time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its enough if you practise well. Just don't "do the five fun things to do in an exam" you described in your sig. :smile:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Its enough if you practise well. Just don't "do the five fun things to do in an exam" you described in your sig. :smile:

Oh of course not. That has been my sig for at least 5 years now. I wasn't serious about school then lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1123
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should think so. I have mine on the 11th and only seriously started preparing for it yesterday. As long as you do at least 2-3 hours each day and work through all the resources I think that would be enough time.
Does anybody know what universities think about writing about caring for relatives in your personal statement? I'm pretty much a full time carer for my Mum at the moment as she's just gone through major surgery and I'm staying at home to look after her. I feel I've got a lot of useful medical experience through her unfortunate illness, for example at one point she was on an extremely high dosage of IV steroids for her condition (ulcerative colitis) and she returned home with steroid induced psychosis (which I actually diagnosed, kinda proud of that). She was having delusions, loss of reality and rapid mood swings which was quite shocking for me but I think I coped with it well and learnt a lot about mental illness in the process and how many nursing staff (and even some doctors) seemed to be insensitive when she was extremely frightened because of the psychosis. She's just had to have major emergency surgery to remove her bowel. She's really weak and has a massive stomach wound which reopened after the staples didn't work and so I'm pretty much caring for her all the time. I've got to see community aspects of the NHS through various district nurse and GP home visits which has increased my understanding of medicine in the community. I feel this has all been really useful in increasing my understanding of various issues so do you think it would be appropriate to mention it in my PS?
Reply 1125
Original post by SusieShire
Does anybody know what universities think about writing about caring for relatives in your personal statement? I'm pretty much a full time carer for my Mum at the moment as she's just gone through major surgery and I'm staying at home to look after her. I feel I've got a lot of useful medical experience through her unfortunate illness, for example at one point she was on an extremely high dosage of IV steroids for her condition (ulcerative colitis) and she returned home with steroid induced psychosis (which I actually diagnosed, kinda proud of that). She was having delusions, loss of reality and rapid mood swings which was quite shocking for me but I think I coped with it well and learnt a lot about mental illness in the process and how many nursing staff (and even some doctors) seemed to be insensitive when she was extremely frightened because of the psychosis. She's just had to have major emergency surgery to remove her bowel. She's really weak and has a massive stomach wound which reopened after the staples didn't work and so I'm pretty much caring for her all the time. I've got to see community aspects of the NHS through various district nurse and GP home visits which has increased my understanding of medicine in the community. I feel this has all been really useful in increasing my understanding of various issues so do you think it would be appropriate to mention it in my PS?

I wrote about my mothers advanced cancer diagnosis and got three offers (and a near miss) and I've been told my PS is very good. I wrote about how it affected me emotionally, developing coping strategies to still perform well at school, and helping with physical caring during the worst months of chemo. I also talked about how her medical team helped the family, and used it to show how I understool how serious illness affects the whole family, not just the patient. I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it if I were you.

Edited to add - that was for Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HCubed
I wrote about my mothers advanced cancer diagnosis and got three offers (and a near miss) and I've been told my PS is very good. I wrote about how it affected me emotionally, developing coping strategies to still perform well at school, and helping with physical caring during the worst months of chemo. I also talked about how her medical team helped the family, and used it to show how I understool how serious illness affects the whole family, not just the patient. I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it if I were you.

Edited to add - that was for Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.

Thanks, that's great advice. My mum's psychosis episode was around my final A Level exams so I especially understand what you mean about coping strategies. Well done on your offers!
Reply 1127
Thanks, that's great advice. My mum's psychosis episode was around my final A Level exams so I especially understand what you mean about coping strategies. Well done on your offers!

Thanks - good luck.:smile:

I think it will be good because it is unique to you and has taught you many things. This will catch the attention of the admissions staff but I would like to say you should make sure you relate it back to medicine, how this might make you a good doctor, or the varying nature of medicine like you say it not only effects you but your family and friends. That way you are drawing on why you want to be a medic ect ect. This might be obvious though but im sure there are people that have said like my *insert close relative* got X and made me want to do medicine, which is not really telling much to the admissions team.

This year I want to include something which I didn't last year. I suffer from eczyma which although is not life threatening but is hard to deal with especially during times of stress. I have found ways of coping with it but like I have to have special mattress, special pillows, if i sweat too much it irritates it, I struggle to shave at times. BUT what's important is that I have found ways of dealing with it on my own and with the help of doctors rather than just applying endless creams :tongue:
Original post by raveen789
I think it will be good because it is unique to you and has taught you many things. This will catch the attention of the admissions staff but I would like to say you should make sure you relate it back to medicine, how this might make you a good doctor, or the varying nature of medicine like you say it not only effects you but your family and friends. That way you are drawing on why you want to be a medic ect ect. This might be obvious though but im sure there are people that have said like my *insert close relative* got X and made me want to do medicine, which is not really telling much to the admissions team.

This year I want to include something which I didn't last year. I suffer from eczyma which although is not life threatening but is hard to deal with especially during times of stress. I have found ways of coping with it but like I have to have special mattress, special pillows, if i sweat too much it irritates it, I struggle to shave at times. BUT what's important is that I have found ways of dealing with it on my own and with the help of doctors rather than just applying endless creams :tongue:

Yes, I think I will include it then. It has definitely taught me that a doctor should be sensitive to mental health issues, even if they have only arisen as a side effect of a drug and is not really what they are treating. My mum has also had some lovely doctors so I've definitely learnt what makes somebody a better doctor. Thanks :smile:
Applied to UCL, sheffield, durham and HYMS first time. Got interviews from UCL and HYMS and got rejected after interview. Got results in the summer and got ABB, in biology, chemistry and maths respectively. Resitting and reapplying this year to Lancaster, plymouth, east anglia and Exeter.

Had an A* in an Urdu A level completed in one year at the end of yr 12. For some odd reason exeter and plymouth are saying they'll accept it as an A* if I resit chemistry and get an A.

Soooo nervous about applying this year its unreal :/

Any advice on what to do in gap year? Thanks
Original post by kashc94
Applied to UCL, sheffield, durham and HYMS first time. Got interviews from UCL and HYMS and got rejected after interview. Got results in the summer and got ABB, in biology, chemistry and maths respectively. Resitting and reapplying this year to Lancaster, plymouth, east anglia and Exeter.

Had an A* in an Urdu A level completed in one year at the end of yr 12. For some odd reason exeter and plymouth are saying they'll accept it as an A* if I resit chemistry and get an A.

Soooo nervous about applying this year its unreal :/

Any advice on what to do in gap year? Thanks

Well that's the point of a GAP year. You can do anything you like
(as long as it is productive, it doesn't matter what you do)

Good luck!
I forgot that there is two types of way that medical schools teach their stuff. Im not really talking about PBL vs traditional but it's like system based learning vs ______ not sure what it is, think it could be life cycles?
Reply 1133
Does anyone know unis which put preference on high achieved a2's? Or mark re-applicants differently from how they would mark direct school leavers??
Reply 1134
Original post by raveen789
I forgot that there is two types of way that medical schools teach their stuff. Im not really talking about PBL vs traditional but it's like system based learning vs ______ not sure what it is, think it could be life cycles?

Integrated?
Original post by MX123
Does anyone know unis which put preference on high achieved a2's? Or mark re-applicants differently from how they would mark direct school leavers??

Cardiff. (and maybe Exeter). Leeds, where AAA at A2 automatically gives you full marks for your academic score (equivalent to 9 A*'s at GCSE).
Reply 1136
Cardiff. (and maybe Exeter). Leeds, where AAA at A2 automatically gives you full marks for your academic score (equivalent to 9 A*'s at GCSE).

Would you know how Leeds use the UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that's the point of a GAP year. You can do anything you like
(as long as it is productive, it doesn't matter what you do)

Good luck!

Thanks for the good luck. Should have made myself clearer though. I meant what should i do in my gap year that would help my medicine application the most seeing as its already at a big disadvantage. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1138

I've heard that Leeds is no longer giving extra points for achieved A levels - read it on TSR but haven't checked that it's correct.
Reply 1139

I looked up Cardiff's website and couldn't find anything about preferring re-applicant :/.. Can you link me your source?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending