The Student Room Group

Have you ever considered starting your own business?

Poll

Have you ever considered starting your own business?

I was wondering why there aren't more people on tsr who want to start a business. I really like the idea of working for myself and don't understand why people here don't really talk about it as they do with unis and everything else.

Has anyone ever wanted to start their own business? Or is there anyone that's actually gone on to do it?

edit: For those who have started one, how has it worked out for you?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As a matter of fact, I've already started my own business, doing web development and marketing for small businesses.
I did it on a freelance basis for a few years, and registered as a limited company a few months ago.
It's going very well so far, and am about to hire my 3rd employee!

I'm about to go into my Final Year of University, studying Business and PR at Liverpool John Moores - saying that you've got too much work on is no excuse, it's simple if you're good at what you're selling!
Reply 2
Original post by TristanBacon
As a matter of fact, I've already started my own business, doing web development and marketing for small businesses.
I did it on a freelance basis for a few years, and registered as a limited company a few months ago.
It's going very well so far, and am about to hire my 3rd employee!

I'm about to go into my Final Year of University, studying Business and PR at Liverpool John Moores - saying that you've got too much work on is no excuse, it's simple if you're good at what you're selling!

That sounds really good! Lol I don't want to sound like I'm bombarding you with questions but, when did you start? How was the start up - was it hard? What help did you get?

I too have started a business but I haven't started trading yet so no income as of yet. I'm just scared no one would want the product even though the idea is perfectly viable. Did you ever feel scared that you wouldn't be a success?
Reply 3
That sounds really good! Lol I don't want to sound like I'm bombarding you with questions but, when did you start? How was the start up - was it hard? What help did you get?

when you want to start your business, do what you love and love what you do, thats the key of conducting your business well :smile: so do i, i start my clothing business by selling them to my close friend, your school's friend, family than you start launching at bigger area to reach many buyer
Reply 4
I started a company with 2 friends, but unfortunately it didn't work out due to a clash of work personalities, I worked hard and did more than my share when the others were falling behind, but the guy who "initially" came up with the idea for the company is very much a control freak and claimed I was "Stealing his company" so the other 2 dropped out, with other work commitments I was unable to deal with the load of a full company on my own. The company, while only operating for a short while, actually picked up a bit of hype considering, granted we didn't make as many sales as we were hoping for, but made enough to cover all the expenses of the set up, equipment and materials, so not too bad really, and had magazine advertising/facebook advertising/etc.

The biggest things to remember is to plug your product well. We were an indie t-shirt company, so facebook and student magazines were perfect for our projected demographic. Learn your audience, know your product, have faith, and commit to what you're doing (unlike my "partners" haha) and you should be fine. There is a lot more to it than that but there are a lot of guides to it.
Reply 5
I would like to start a small e-commence store, selling homemade things. I have already tabled, possible suppliers, costs of me making the products, standard packaging etc. I do have a very interested investor. However, I don't know a lot of people and those I do know will be very excited to see me fail. so I don't know if it will be successful and that's why I am hesitant to put the plan in mention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Trill
I would like to start a small e-commence store, selling homemade things. I have already tabled, possible suppliers, costs of me making the products, standard packaging etc. I do have a very interested investor. However, I don't know a lot of people and those I do know will be very excited to see me fail. so I don't know if it will be successful and that's why I am hesitant to put the plan in mention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is an interesting one, as without knowing a lot of people it can make it more difficult, as word of mouth is great for a small business, so facebook and the like are great for spreading word about it until you're starting to make a name for yourself. If you already have an interested inverstor though that's a good sign. Maybe you could join a few online communities that deal with the kind of things you'd be selling, and see how interested people would be, then take it from there??

Not being a student of business, I couldn't give you much information other than that, and a business student may tell you I'm talking a load of rubbish, but logically those are the first steps I would take. Also use family to promote your products?
Start on eBay if you don't want to dive straight in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that feeling! You want to do it to prove them wrong but you just know it may not work and you'll have to live the the stick from them for ages.
Original post by Doja
I was wondering why there aren't more people on tsr who want to start a business. I really like the idea of working for myself and don't understand why people here don't really talk about it as they do with unis and everything else.

Has anyone ever wanted to start their own business? Or is there anyone that's actually gone on to do it?

I have. Although I haven't registered it. I really should although I will not be earning enough to be taxed.

I'm really loving running my own business at the moment. It has a nice sense of satisfaction when I make a profit at the end of the month. However there is a lot of hard work involved. It involves a lot of early morning wake ups and planning. I will be decreasing my level of activity in the next few months as I start to get settled in to university though.
I'm doing very well at the moment and cannot keep up with demand it makes me sad that I will have to put it on the back bench whilst I study.
It requires a great deal of organisation and I'm hoping skills that I've learnt so far will aid me in the future.

I probably make as much as someone on minimum wage working full time. I started my business as I couldn't find a job and wanted some money so instead of complaining went and did something about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
I will be decreasing my level of activity in the next few months as I start to get settled in to university though.

To be honest, I probably work a whole lot more harder on my business while I'm at uni than when I'm at home for the holidays. I guess the reluctance to do uni work drives me to do something else. :tongue:

Either way you should be able to find time to work on at while you're at uni.
Reply 11
Yeah started up 2 business in the past 18 months in property as that's my passion and network marketing as I see that as my vehicle to financial freedom. Going well I just can't wait for the next 5 years to see it all come to fruition.

I help blind people see...
Original post by Doja
To be honest, I probably work a whole lot more harder on my business while I'm at uni than when I'm at home for the holidays. I guess the reluctance to do uni work drives me to do something else. :tongue:

Either way you should be able to find time to work on at while you're at uni.

For me one of three things will happen.

1. I end up focusing on my studies and my business suffers or the other way round

2. I tried to keep on top of my studies and business and end up messing up both.

3. I end up becoming a machine who only eats works and studies who occasionally goes out.

I hope it's the last option because I think I'm going to really enjoy my subject so it's not going to be a burden learning content and revising and running my business seems like a way for me to de-stress although sometimes it can increase my stress levels. As long as I organise and plan well it should be fine.
Original post by Doja

I too have started a business but I haven't started trading yet so no income as of yet. I'm just scared no one would want the product even though the idea is perfectly viable. Did you ever feel scared that you wouldn't be a success?

I have been doing freelance web development for a few years, and so it just naturally progressed to taking on more people to help with bigger projects, to the extent that I registered a company name and started trading as an actual company.

I taught myself a lot of the technical skills that I use, but I got a lot of help from my university's Centre for Entrepreneurship, which gives business advice to student startups and acts as a sort of mentoring programme. They helped me with my cash flow forecasts, funding from the regional development fund and even down to things like how to network properly.

Thanks to the help they have me with networking, I've had a big increase in clients and have net some really interesting people, many of whom refer startups to my company when they need a website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AdamLC
This is an interesting one, as without knowing a lot of people it can make it more difficult, as word of mouth is great for a small business, so facebook and the like are great for spreading word about it until you're starting to make a name for yourself. If you already have an interested inverstor though that's a good sign. Maybe you could join a few online communities that deal with the kind of things you'd be selling, and see how interested people would be, then take it from there??

Not being a student of business, I couldn't give you much information other than that, and a business student may tell you I'm talking a load of rubbish, but logically those are the first steps I would take. Also use family to promote your products?

In not knowing a lot of people I have decided to develop my own personal blog as it already has followers on it, who are pretty interested in what I do for some strange reason. I know it's an odd angle, but it might just work for a small business. I'm not expecting to be a millionaire or anything.

Original post by Runninground
I know that feeling! You want to do it to prove them wrong but you just know it may not work and you'll have to live the the stick from them for ages.

Yup, even if I get stick from them, at least I know I tried.
Original post by Doja

I have tried and failed 3 times but I am trying again and this time i have someone to steer me in the right direction
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I have got my own online business which also offers othrr people to the same and its very easy aswell simple copy and paste only take few hours not even that really alot people i find think its a get rich quick system but its not you have to treat it like a normal job end of day is your business more work you put init more results you find the system I use is simple and straightforward compared to what I have found online. anybody intrested in what I do please message me.
Original post by lavidaeasy
I have got my own online business which also offers othrr people to the same and its very easy aswell simple copy and paste only take few hours not even that really alot people i find think its a get rich quick system but its not you have to treat it like a normal job end of day is your business more work you put init more results you find the system I use is simple and straightforward compared to what I have found online. anybody intrested in what I do please message me.

...and breathe.
Reply 18
Dont read so fast. Lol and yea me grammar **** and..........
Reply 19
Original post by lavidaeasy

Original post by Runninground
...and breathe.

LOOL!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending