The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the thread and my decision to go into teaching is fairly recent, during my final year of uni. However, as it was my final year I didn't have time to research a lot and focused on my degree. I was hoping for some advice.

I've been talking to a Headteacher for a primary school near me and it's likely that I will be getting some school experience starting in September. I haven't had any previous experience before and I am hoping to apply for a PGCE in Primary Education. I was wondering if I continuously volunteered 2/3 days a week starting from mid September, would this be enough?

I have graduated with a 2.1 in Criminology, would this affect my applications? I have searched some institutions and they have said they want a degree in a 'relevant subject'. I'm getting pretty worried as I really feel like this is a good career option for myself and becoming a teacher is something I want.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by AnuNaj
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the thread and my decision to go into teaching is fairly recent, during my final year of uni. However, as it was my final year I didn't have time to research a lot and focused on my degree. I was hoping for some advice.

I've been talking to a Headteacher for a primary school near me and it's likely that I will be getting some school experience starting in September. I haven't had any previous experience before and I am hoping to apply for a PGCE in Primary Education. I was wondering if I continuously volunteered 2/3 days a week starting from mid September, would this be enough?

I have graduated with a 2.1 in Criminology, would this affect my applications? I have searched some institutions and they have said they want a degree in a 'relevant subject'. I'm getting pretty worried as I really feel like this is a good career option for myself and becoming a teacher is something I want.

Thank you :smile:

You should have two weeks experience by November if you do that, so it should be fine. The most important thing is what you draw from your experiences and how you communicate that in your PS/interview.
Normally, they expect you to show some sort of relevant to the national curriculum with your degree. Did you do any modules to do with children? Anything maths/history/geography/etc related? Try to link it if you can.
Reply 382
Original post by Shelly_x
You should have two weeks experience by November if you do that, so it should be fine. The most important thing is what you draw from your experiences and how you communicate that in your PS/interview.
Normally, they expect you to show some sort of relevant to the national curriculum with your degree. Did you do any modules to do with children? Anything maths/history/geography/etc related? Try to link it if you can.

That's good then.
Well I've done a fair bit of sociology in my degree...which I'm not sure counts as a national curriculum subject. I've done children and the law (family law) and my degree has focused around youth (and my dissertation).
I spoke to the Teaching Line and they have said some course requirements may change...how should I be prepared at the moment?
Reply 383
Original post by AnuNaj
That's good then.
Well I've done a fair bit of sociology in my degree...which I'm not sure counts as a national curriculum subject. I've done children and the law (family law) and my degree has focused around youth (and my dissertation).
I spoke to the Teaching Line and they have said some course requirements may change...how should I be prepared at the moment?

If things do change everyone else will be in the same boat as you. They can't expect people to jump through hoops when they haven't put them in place. Check and contact the providers you'd like to go with, as it is them who make the decisions.
I was wondering: if I got an offer and accepted, would I then be able to decide not to do a PGCE anymore or would me acceping be binding? Like, would I be forced to pay??
So does that mean if I accepted I could still retire without paying? Sorry I'm a bit confused
Reply 386
Original post by FrancescaDB
So does that mean if I accepted I could still retire without paying? Sorry I'm a bit confused

You only pay for the terms in which you are enrolled.

So if you accepted but then decide to leave before the course starts, you won't be required to pay anything.

I will say this though. These courses are competitive and a lot of people become broken-hearted not getting on, getting onto a courses is a multiple year process for some people and it can be a case of blood sweat and tears yet still no results.
If you're not sure if you want to take that place before even applying, I'd do more in-schools experience. Someone may have really wanted that place you weren't sure about and not getting it could have caused a lot of heartache. If I was this person and found out that someone quit before they even started, it would be a huge kick in the balls to me as I'm sure it would be to others.

Make sure you really want this place before applying. Save yourself the time and someone else the potential heartache.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by neonlj
You only pay for the terms in which you are enrolled.

So if you accepted but then decide to leave before the course starts, you won't be required to pay anything.

I will say this though. These courses are competitive and a lot of people become broken-hearted not getting on, getting onto a courses is a multiple year process for some people and it can be a case of blood sweat and tears yet still no results.
If you're not sure if you want to take that place before even applying, I'd do more in-schools experience. Someone may have really wanted that place you weren't sure about and not getting it could have caused a lot of heartache. If I was this person and found out that someone quit before they even started, it would be a huge kick in the balls to me as I'm sure it would be to others.

Make sure you really want this place before applying. Save yourself the time and someone else the potential heartache.

Of course. You see, my problem is money not being unsure of what I want :smile: I will be working like crazy to save enough money to be able to pay accomodation and living in general but you never know...
Reply 388
I was going to apply this year, however, due to there being only 2 universities near me who I can potentially apply to,I want to gather more experience working in schools and see if it's really for me. Most unis near me want a certain amount of experience in ks1 and ks2 and a national curriculum degree (which I don't have) so I'm going to give it another year....is this a wise choice? Will I be considered as a possible candidate if I wait another year? I'm graduating this November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by FrancescaDB
Of course. You see, my problem is money not being unsure of what I want :smile: I will be working like crazy to save enough money to be able to pay accomodation and living in general but you never know...

If you get a student overdraft for whilst you're on your course you will easily pay it off during your firs year in teaching. :smile:
So I here the QTS study guides are very useful but do they bring an edition out every year, if so when will this years be released?
Original post by neonlj
If you get a student overdraft for whilst you're on your course you will easily pay it off during your firs year in teaching. :smile:

I can only get a loan for the rent, not for the living costs cause I'm not a UK student :frown:
So in a surprising and extremely unfortunate turn of events, the high school that said I could go back any time for work exp in September is burning down as I type :frown: four 11-14 year olds have been arrested and it's basically burning the whole school down! They were due to start on Tuesday, so now it looks like the students are going to have to be spread out across the rest of the schools in my town. It is very, very sad. I have no idea what this means for me getting any more work exp seeing as I think the rest of the schools will be pretty stressed out with all this business. I may have to look further afield.
Original post by Airfairy
So in a surprising and extremely unfortunate turn of events, the high school that said I could go back any time for work exp in September is burning down as I type :frown: four 11-14 year olds have been arrested and it's basically burning the whole school down! They were due to start on Tuesday, so now it looks like the students are going to have to be spread out across the rest of the schools in my town. It is very, very sad. I have no idea what this means for me getting any more work exp seeing as I think the rest of the schools will be pretty stressed out with all this business. I may have to look further afield.

Oh no this is awful! I just saw it on the news!
Does anyone know of any list of the most and (more importantly for me) the least popular PGCE providers?

I'm from outside the UK, and I'm probably not even going to stay there for more than a few years: I'll be off to teach in China I think. So where I do my PGCE doesn't matter much to be. And since all PGCE's are seen as being of roughly equal worth, I figure I may as well just apply to the places that are easier to get into.
Original post by SharpyShuffle
Does anyone know of any list of the most and (more importantly for me) the least popular PGCE providers?

I'm from outside the UK, and I'm probably not even going to stay there for more than a few years: I'll be off to teach in China I think. So where I do my PGCE doesn't matter much to be. And since all PGCE's are seen as being of roughly equal worth, I figure I may as well just apply to the places that are easier to get into.

Have a look at some of the statistics in this. No need to read it all but you may find something of relevance in the tables.

I don't think any place is going to be easy to get in to as such. What are you wanting to teach? Primary/secondary/what subject? Some are more competitive than others.

It doesn't really matter where anyone does their PGCE, btw. Everyone gets QTS at the end of successful completion, which is all that matters.
Reply 396
Hi guys,

I graduated with a degree in information systems but having observed both I decided I wanted to do primary. . It seems like your degree has to link with it somehow my degree has nothing to do with children or studying their behaviour although I did a separate course online which taught be about teaching methods, learning styles and behaviour management... am I doomed?
Original post by Sam89
Hi guys,

I graduated with a degree in information systems but having observed both I decided I wanted to do primary. . It seems like your degree has to link with it somehow my degree has nothing to do with children or studying their behaviour although I did a separate course online which taught be about teaching methods, learning styles and behaviour management... am I doomed?

You shouldn't be. Forgive my ignorance, but is your degree IT related? Because that would be useful in a school. Have a think about why you want to teach and get some more experience, then you're just as prepared as any of us. :smile:
Reply 398
Hi everyone

I'm due to graduate in 2014 with combined subjects (media major/English minor) and I'm hoping to teach secondary English. Will the fact that I study English minor affect my application to the PGCE course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tamiic
Hi everyone

I'm due to graduate in 2014 with combined subjects (media major/English minor) and I'm hoping to teach secondary English. Will the fact that I study English minor affect my application to the PGCE course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it the fact it's a minor subject means 50% of your course isn't studying it? I know a lot of places require you have at least 50% in the course you want to teach. A good English A-Level grade and lots of work experience could help though. English is a VERY competitive subject at PGCE, so sadly that won't help.

Latest

Trending

Trending