The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k1rby
Got a response from Leicester about their cut-off scores for 2013 entry!

Pre-interview cut-off scores for 2013: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_pre_interview_cut_off_score

That's very scary, but I dunno, I keep thinking in my head that they won't increase it, but they could. I don't think it'll go above 58/60 though, in fact, I don't think it will go up at all :s-smilie: (biting my tongue right now)
Reply 81
Original post by mynameisntbobk
That's very scary, but I dunno, I keep thinking in my head that they won't increase it, but they could. I don't think it'll go above 58/60 though, in fact, I don't think it will go up at all :s-smilie: (biting my tongue right now)

I don't think it'll go up either.. but surprising things do happen like Newcastle/Durham's UKCAT cut-off going up to ~695 last year. Last year, I was doubting whether I should apply with 57 but I'm glad I did! :smile:
Original post by k1rby
I don't think it'll go up either.. but surprising things do happen like Newcastle/Durham's UKCAT cut-off going up to ~695 last year. Last year, I was doubting whether I should apply with 57 but I'm glad I did! :smile:

That must have been shocking, but I think that was due to people with high scores realising they'd be better applying there, so loads more did.
Its a good thing you did :yes: I think I'm going to take the risk as well, and even if it does go up to 58, my PS could make up for it
Reply 83
Original post by k1rby
Got a response from Leicester about their cut-off scores for 2013 entry!

Pre-interview cut-off scores for 2013: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_pre_interview_cut_off_score

Would it be wise to apply with 58/60? To be honest with this uncertainty I reckon only 59 or 60 / 60 would make me confident enough to apply at the moment. How many people were actually invited to interview last year, and how many applied?
Original post by DrumChops
Would it be wise to apply with 58/60? To be honest with this uncertainty I reckon only 59 or 60 / 60 would make me confident enough to apply at the moment. How many people were actually invited to interview last year, and how many applied?

I have 59/60 points will I get a guaranteed interview? I thought it was scored out of 90 as there are 30 points for ps??
Reply 85
Original post by DrumChops

I think 58/60 would definitely give you an interview - even if it goes up by one point (which is unlikely), you're still safe. Don't hold me to that though because I can't see the future!

There were 2470 home/EU applicants for 162 places (which has separate quotas from the internationals). See the first post for more statistics. :smile:

Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
I have 59/60 points will I get a guaranteed interview? I thought it was scored out of 90 as there are 30 points for ps??

I can't *guarantee* but with 59 pretty much definitely yes. They only score your personal statement if you are one point away from meeting the cut-off for interview.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86

It's scored out of 90 for the borderline cases, where you may have literally just missed the requirement to be guaranteed an invite to interview; the extra 30 comes from the scoring of the personal statement which is looked at for these circumstances. I suppose 59/60 is a guarantee?

The PS is only used in borderline cases, such as people missing the cutoff by 1 mark. 59/60 would definitely guarantee you an interview
Reply 88
Original post by k1rby
I think 58/60 would definitely give you an interview - even if it goes up by one point (which is unlikely), you're still safe. Don't hold me to that though because I can't see the future!

There were 2470 home/EU applicants for 162 places (which has separate quotas from the internationals). See the first post for more statistics. :smile:

Thanks
Reply 89
The leicester scoring document says you will be scored on "Separate Sciences (up to 3)" at GCSE - does that mean if you have done 3 separate sciences but got 2A* and an A they would score the 2 science subjects with the A* and then substitute another subject that you got an A* in for the third science subject which you got an A in?
Reply 90
I'm joining you peeps! :biggrin:

(unless my choices change AGAIN!)
Reply 91
Original post by zog third
The leicester scoring document says you will be scored on "Separate Sciences (up to 3)" at GCSE - does that mean if you have done 3 separate sciences but got 2A* and an A they would score the 2 science subjects with the A* and then substitute another subject that you got an A* in for the third science subject which you got an A in?

No, if you've taken biology, chemistry and physics then they are the ones counted. Maybe they put that because some people might have taken the equivalent of 4+ GCSEs in the sciences, e.g. an extra separate GCSE called additional chemistry or something? You could email them to be 100% sure though but that's how it was last year. :smile:

Original post by g.k.galloway

Welcome to the party! :dancing2:
Original post by g.k.galloway

Can't say I'm surprised with your impressive profile
Hi guys!

I'm thinking of applying to Leicester next year too :biggrin:
You know with the academic score out of 30? Do they add extra points on for As in any AS's or just Chem and Bio. I got 3As (Bio, Maths and Geog) and one B (Chem)

Also, did anyone get to go on the open day? This may seem like a silly question but what did everyone think of Leicester city and the general atmosphere of the med school? I've never been and didn't get a chance to visit the open day unfortunately :frown:

Thanks!
Original post by Lucyloo859
Hi guys!

I'm thinking of applying to Leicester next year too :biggrin:
You know with the academic score out of 30? Do they add extra points on for As in any AS's or just Chem and Bio. I got 3As (Bio, Maths and Geog) and one B (Chem)

Also, did anyone get to go on the open day? This may seem like a silly question but what did everyone think of Leicester city and the general atmosphere of the med school? I've never been and didn't get a chance to visit the open day unfortunately :frown:

Thanks!

What are your GCSEs? You would get 2 extra points because of your AS' :yes:

I haven't actually been, but I've heard that its pretty small. I think that's because Leicester isn't really a city uni
Reply 95
Also, I got B's in Bio and Chem and A's in Maths and History at AS level - would I get any points for these?
Original post by zog third
Also, I got B's in Bio and Chem and A's in Maths and History at AS level - would I get any points for these?

You would get 1 extra point
Reply 97

Thanks!

I've been on the medicine specific open day and on a tour of the medical school. Leicester city is really good because it's small enough to be able to walk everywhere but big enough that there's lots of shops and good night life. The medical school hall ways look a bit run down in my opinion but that lecture rooms are good. ALSO bare in mind, they are building a new medical school which will be completed in 2015 and will be the best in the country apparently! Places like the David Wilson library, [URL="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leicester+university+students+union&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US[excludedFace]redface[/excludedFace]fficial&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=2KIfUoKCCeyZ0QXywYGIAQ&biw=1280&bih=894&sei=2qI***WdDszJ0AWS9IDoDQ"]the Students' Union and other facilities which look like the future. Outside of all the university buildings (including the medical school) are so many parks and open spaces.

Oadby student village is 3.5km away from the university buildings which is a 40 minute walk. I see an advantage in that though as you can wake up completely + exercise before lectures begin (bad if you're running late though). There's regular buses which you can buy a pass for. There's loads of bicycle sheds in both locations. A gym next to the oadby student village and a gym where all the university buildings are. You're also surrounded by nature again with the botanical gardens next door.

In your first year, you're in lectures from 9am-1pm apparently (obviously will have to study/revise after that but still). Also it's kind-of an inbetween university as it will never be as big as Manchester (intake of 300 students) but not as small as Durham (intake of 100), it has a 200 student intake. So it depends on what you are after really because it isn't a big urban city.
:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mynameisntbobk
What are your GCSEs? You would get 2 extra points because of your AS' :yes:

I haven't actually been, but I've heard that its pretty small. I think that's because Leicester isn't really a city uni

I got 7A*s (Including the 3 sciences and maths), 3As (Including English Language) and a B (I curse the day I picked art).

So can you only get a maximum of 2 points due to your AS's? I did the EPQ as well, I think someone told me you get a point for that but I might be wrong.

edit: What an idiot! I just read the application document and read the bit about AS grades. I understand now, thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
I got 7A*s (Including the 3 sciences and maths), 3As (Including English Language) and a B (I curse the day I picked art).

So can you only get a maximum of 2 points due to your AS's? I did the EPQ as well, I think someone told me you get a point for that but I might be wrong.

Thank you :smile:

You should get 30 points then.

The maximum extra is 3, but you can only get 2 because they award an extra point per each A you get at AS in biology, chemistry and one other subject up to the 30 point maximum for the academic section.

You would get 29 based purely on your GCSEs, but because you're eligible for 2 extra points, you would only get 1, because you can't go past the 30 point maximum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending