The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YanaIguana
I think I want to be a novelist right now but would like to take a broad subject. I was set in becoming a veterinary surgeon for so long but can't do that anymore for various reasons. :frown: I've been changing my mind a lot with job prospects, but when the idea of a novelist came round it seemed perfect to me. I also love English (though I only discovered that quite recently) and it'll be very interesting to study it at university.

Sorry to just randomly barge in on your conversation (I feel awfully rude) but I also want to be a novelist :biggrin: although I'm not sure I'll ever get there. So I just wanted to say hi! What sort of novels would you be interested in writing? Personally I quite like fantasy/ sci-fi/ horror, sometimes with an element of dystopia or something similar. :smile:
Reply 3001
Original post by EvasiveRose
A novelist sounds great (who knows, in the future I may be reading one of your books :tongue:)
And it's great that you finally found an occupatio that appeals to you

Hates a strong word. More like disliked you :tongue:
17/20 is a good score :angry:

i know i need 18 in 2 CA's for an A* overall in language but she was a tough marker/person :mad:

and no she definitely hated me :colondollar: i had a CA marked at 20/20 and she lowered it to a 12 and said my punctuation and tense wasn't good enough ..even though it was an exam CA (the spoken study one) so it didn't matter.... i then went and 'bitched' about her (as she put it) to the MFL department and she found out :colondollar:
Original post by NikolaT
Oh, of course! If the mother wants to keep the child, then that's absolutely amazing! All I'm saying is, she should have an equal opportunity to fully explore her other options (e.g. abortion, adoption, foster care).

Another kettle of fish :wink:.

Just bear in mind the fact that all of your actions to this day have had consequences: whether good, bad or neutral. And from this, you can deduce that everything you will ever do will have consequences too. The future belongs to those who shape it, right? I believe actions have consequences, but not so much that they should affect our behaviour: for instance, I only support the idea of predeterminism to the extent that people shouldn't think they can just kill someone with the excuse of ' it was Fate' or other divine intervention.

To apply it to abortion, for all we know, the abortion could've been a good thing. What if the child had to die in a wrecked car accident (per chance) 18 months after it was born? It would have ruined the mother's life completely... would it not be better to have the mother decide herself, if she thought it wise, that she couldn't support a child and needed an abortion before being faced with the above scenario? Both are occasions of severe grief and trauma, but which would you rather be in?

Imagine if the mother found that out after giving the baby up for adoption? (Sorry for turning that into a story, typical of me right now). But yes, you make me think of that situation and what would be best. Although, for the child, at least they spent a prosperous 18 months in this world. It may have be short, but better than nothing.

This would be a whole different situation to the mother, as you said. She will be distraught, but this shows she doesn't regret having the child and at least, she would have spent a few months with her child before the death.

Sorry I have to wrap this up as I'm an early bird, so need my sleep. This has been an interesting discussion and I look forward to more. Thank you :smile:
Reply 3003
Original post by LeFailFish
Sorry to just randomly barge in on your conversation (I feel awfully rude) but I also want to be a novelist :biggrin: although I'm not sure I'll ever get there. So I just wanted to say hi! What sort of novels would you be interested in writing? Personally I quite like fantasy/ sci-fi/ horror, sometimes with an element of dystopia or something similar. :smile:

i've always wanted to write a book :awesome: haven't really thought about it though as it'll be a later in life thing :h: but i might start some think towards it actually :h:
I was planning to have four spiral notebooks and binders (that i will leave at home) for each subject. And a extra binder which I will carry around and empty out Into the subject specific binders that I leave at home at the end of the week. Is this a good idea? OR should I get 4 lever arch files and refill pads and hole punch the papers and put them into the specific files?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I'm discovering this myself and have been practicing with different genres (only planning so far, only had the time to write one short story). I love to use my imaginations, so definitely a genre that tests this. I am particularly looking towards writing children's (7-12 years) novels or fantasy novels.

The short story I wrote recently was for children and thoroughly enjoyed writing it. It was about a young boy who lived in the city and couldn't see the stars because of the artificial lights, so ventured to the moon by building his own rocket to see a clear sky. That was the basis of it anyway, I also added a few friendly aliens. xD

I would love to continue talking with you but I'm extremely tired. Hopefully we can continue this tomorrow. :biggrin:
Reply 3006
Original post by Aminaa124
I was planning to have four spiral notebooks and binders (that i will leave at home) for each subject. And a extra binder which I will carry around and empty out Into the subject specific binders that I leave at home at the end of the week. Is this a good idea? OR should I get 4 lever arch files and refill pads and hole punch the papers and put them into the specific files?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do whatever you think will suit you best. I'm planning on doing something similar to the first idea. I'm going to sort out all my work at home (leaving my folders at home too), and I'm going to take one smaller folder to college (with 4 plastic wallets - might take one or two more incase I have extra sheets for something else) to put in all the work I recieve/paper I use up that day.

At home I'll have my four folders I mentioned earlier, and lots of plastic wallets for each unit or whatever.

At least, that's my plan. I doubt it will still be in action after the first two weeks. :colondollar:
Reply 3007
What's on everyone's stationary list?:smile: I'm off to get my stationary tomorrow and so far all I have thought of is notepads and highlighters. I already have all the basic stationary e.g. pens, a calculator etc..:tongue:
Reply 3008
Original post by sr234
What's on everyone's stationary list?:smile: I'm off to get my stationary tomorrow and so far all I have thought of is notepads and highlighters. I already have all the basic stationary e.g. pens, a calculator etc..:tongue:

A calculator was on my list, but I just found my trusty Casio FX83GT under my bed. <3
Reply 3009
Original post by Red Fox
This is a new thing for my school. Before, you only had to attend lessons:frown:
Hmm wonder why they changed it.. do you still have free periods?:smile:
Original post by techno836
i've always wanted to write a book :awesome: haven't really thought about it though as it'll be a later in life thing :h: but i might start some think towards it actually :h:

Yes, I imagine I would only try and get a full-length novel published later in life - I need to get through school and uni and get a proper job first, so I have something to fall back on because writing is such a difficult career! Only 3% of novelists, apparently, can actually make a living out of their writing. Ugh, thinking... thinking is hard :tongue: but writing is awesome, so you should definitely give it a go if you want to!!
Original post by Lucas.
Do whatever you think will suit you best. I'm planning on doing something similar to the first idea. I'm going to sort out all my work at home (leaving my folders at home too), and I'm going to take one smaller folder to college (with 4 plastic wallets - might take one or two more incase I have extra sheets for something else) to put in all the work I recieve/paper I use up that day.

At home I'll have my four folders I mentioned earlier, and lots of plastic wallets for each unit or whatever.

At least, that's my plan. I doubt it will still be in action after the first two weeks. :colondollar:

Great thanks! What A levels are you doing if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3012
Original post by Lucas.
A calculator was on my list, but I just found my trusty Casio FX83GT under my bed. <3

I have the same one!:grin: It's never let me down:h: Just thought i'd share an image of it's magnificent beauty :giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
Goodnight everyone, I'm off. Thanks for the warm welcome. :smile: I look forward to joining in again soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YanaIguana
Hello! I'm discovering this myself and have been practicing with different genres (only planning so far, only had the time to write one short story). I love to use my imaginations, so definitely a genre that tests this. I am particularly looking towards writing children's (7-12 years) novels or fantasy novels.

The short story I wrote recently was for children and thoroughly enjoyed writing it. It was about a young boy who lived in the city and couldn't see the stars because of the artificial lights, so ventured to the moon by building his own rocket to see a clear sky. That was the basis of it anyway, I also added a few friendly aliens. xD

I would love to continue talking with you but I'm extremely tired. Hopefully we can continue this tomorrow. :biggrin:

Experimenting is great fun! I've tried writing quite a few different genres, I just tend to end up adding fantasy elements even when I try not to... fantasy and mythology fascinates me, I also love to use my imagination and I just find those genres are the best for expressing that in. Ahh, children's stories, that's awesome :biggrin: I tend to write for slightly older audiences, low teens mainly, but I'd love to try writing for a younger audience at some point. I'm particularly bad at planning though... I tend to just write and see where the story goes, which is sometimes great but sometimes really confusing!

That sounds like an incredible story! I love the idea, and I bet your target demographic would as well. I would love to read it at some point, if you were happy with that. :smile: A few friendly aliens are always a good addition to a story!

I'm writing more fanfiction than original stuff at the moment (I must get out of that habit) but I'm currently tossing a few ideas around about a mythology-based story centred around angels. I need to develop my characters more before I start anything though.

Of course we can continue this tomorrow! I should probably also be going to bed really... the internet is far too addictive. :redface:
x

Is your name inspired by me.
Original post by sr234
Hmm wonder why they changed it.. do you still have free periods?:smile:

They're called study periods where we have to work and do homework and **** we get put in a classroom I think with other people and a teacher watching us. Feels a bit forced if you ask me.
Reply 3017
Original post by Aminaa124
Great thanks! What A levels are you doing if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, German, Psychology and Sociology. Yourself? :smile:

Original post by sr234
I have the same one!:grin: It's never let me down:h: Just thought i'd share an image of it's magnificent beauty :giggle:

Everyone has that calculator. :wink:
But that's a good thing of course, it's a pretty damn good calculator! It just does everything it needs to do. :tongue:
Reply 3018
Original post by Lucas.

But that's a good thing of course, it's a pretty damn good calculator! It just does everything it needs to do. :tongue:

Yay someone else doing sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3019
Original post by Lucas.

Haha well in that case, excuse my blondness:colondollar:
Original post by Red Fox
They're called study periods where we have to work and do homework and **** we get put in a classroom I think with other people and a teacher watching us. Feels a bit forced if you ask me.
That's intense! Must be a pretty good sixth form! However i like to complete my homework/revision at home, so would get pretty demotivated if I was forced and spied on by the teachers on my free's:colonhash:

Latest