Nope I'm on OCR :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn haha.

Original post by Mr.Nor
Oh and I did much worse than that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you didn't do too bad man. :smile:

Original post by Georgiecat
I think those grades are fine! You have to remember this is TSR, where getting any lower than 57895337 A*s is seen as having done badly. As long as you tried your best, that's all that matters.

Yeah I know, that's why I feel out of place. :tongue:
I didn't try my best... I just did enough to get by, and the reason L&T and Food Tech were the two subjects I didn't pass was because they were a 'doss' and I just found it too easy/boring and didn't bother paying any attention in class whatsoever. I'm just kicking myself because I know that if I actually knuckled down I could have gotten a better set of results. Oh well. It's not like GCSEs are that important anyway. I mean, after tomorrow (my enrolment), they're practically useless/irrelevant..
Reply 3041
Original post by Lucas.
Damn haha.

I'm sure you didn't do too bad man. :smile:

I didn't try my best... I just did enough to get by, and the reason L&T and Food Tech were the two subjects I didn't pass was because they were a 'doss' and I just found it too easy/boring and didn't bother paying any attention in class whatsoever. I'm just kicking myself because I know that if I actually knuckled down I could have gotten a better set of results. Oh well. It's not like GCSEs are that important anyway. I mean, after tomorrow (my enrolment), they're practically useless/irrelevant..

I got ABBBCCCCDD haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3042
Original post by LeFailFish
Yeah, I'm kind of nervous about it but as you said, they compliment each other so it should be OK! :smile: The only reason I considered something else is because I'm not as good at Physics, I struggle with it more than the others so I was a bit worried about taking it further. But in the end I did fine at GCSE, only a few UMS worse than the others, so I decided I should be able to cope - and if I can't, I'll just drop it after AS.

Im in the exact same situation as you :biggrin: :five:
Original post by Lucas.

Ah, I was in a similar situation with English Lit - I hated the novels we were studying, so I was a bit reluctant to revise them. But good or bad, GCSE grades are forgotten a week after results day. You should enjoy sixth form/college a lot more, because you'll only be doing courses you enjoy! What are you going to be studying?
Reply 3044
Original post by Mr.Nor
I got ABBBCCCCDD haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's still a good set of results. :smile: What did you get the A in?

Original post by Georgiecat
Ah, I was in a similar situation with English Lit - I hated the novels we were studying, so I was a bit reluctant to revise them. But good or bad, GCSE grades are forgotten a week after results day. You should enjoy sixth form/college a lot more, because you'll only be doing courses you enjoy! What are you going to be studying?

Yeah, it's horrible when you can't stand what your studying. I was the same in English Lit too - somehow managed to get an A in both the coursework and poetry exam though - and I got a B overall. :tongue: Yeah, I am seriously looking forward to starting! Maths, German, Psychology and Sociology, you? :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
8 A*s, 6 As, B and a C.

(AAB was meant to be A*A*A* so I fell short!)

I like biology actually, HATE the A Level and exam system for it :wink:

I like... French, Spanish, Italian... Starting German, speak some Welsh, Bengali and read Arabic and Russian...throw in some Swahili :biggrin:

Aah, I'll have to have a listen!

Woah, you took a lot of GCSEs!! How did you manage to take so many?? That's seriously impressive :eek: Congrats!!

Oh, are you doing A level biology then? :smile:

That's loads of languages! I can't imagine being able to speak/ read some of all of them. That's incredible! I thought I was doing OK with some French, a little German and a little Malagasy :tongue:
Reply 3046
Original post by Lucas.
That's still a good set of results. :smile: What did you get the A in?

Yeah, it's horrible when you can't stand what your studying. I was the same in English Lit too - somehow managed to get an A in both the coursework and poetry exam though - and I got a B overall. :tongue: Yeah, I am seriously looking forward to starting! Maths, German, Psychology and Sociology, you? :smile:

Portuguese which I took in year 10 (it still counts right)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3047
Wow, haven't been on TSR for a while... I don't post often anyway lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
Im in the exact same situation as you :biggrin: :five:

:biggrin: Well, at least we're in this together then!! (tries to avoid getting the High School Musical song in head and fails)
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

I'm taking Geography so add me in for AQA I think.

I am going to get 6 books for all the modules in Maths and Further Maths on Edexcel so that I am prepared for the exams so I have bought this bag.

How many hours to people have to go in to study at the moment?

I am going in for an Induction day tomorrow on the afternoon but because I am going in to study Physics on the Morning and Maths on the afternoon of Tuesday 3rd September and I am going to study Geography between those sessions in the Library, Tuesday will be my first proper day.I'm only in again on Wednesday for Geography and then I start proper on Monday 9th September.

What Homework have people got?
I got a Physics and Maths work booklet that is pretty small and looks relatively easy( most of the Physics questions are really easy Maths and the Maths booklet includes questions on fractions at the start and doesn't really get very hard at all) and I got two tough exam questions for Geography but they were probably only tough because I hadn't studied those topics at GCSE and I got given the task of writing an A4 on why I want to study Geography?-I didn't get any homework for Further Maths:angry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3050
:biggrin: Well, at least we're in this together then!! (tries to avoid getting the High School Musical song in head and fails)

haha :h: :five:
Reply 3051

You have failed fish, avoid the song:tongue: Haha oh god my jokes are so lame:cool: High school musical days seem so far back now!:eek:
Reply 3052
Original post by Mr.Nor
Portuguese which I took in year 10 (it still counts right)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Portuguese!? Nice one mate haha. :tongue: Yeah of course it counts, an A is an A :wink:
Ah...this thread seems splendid :biggrin:

No...No...
Woah, you took a lot of GCSEs!! How did you manage to take so many?? That's seriously impressive :eek: Congrats!!

Oh, are you doing A level biology then? :smile:

That's loads of languages! I can't imagine being able to speak/ read some of all of them. That's incredible! I thought I was doing OK with some French, a little German and a little Malagasy :tongue:

Haha, I genuinely don't know... Considering my school is Band 3 as well :mmm:

NO!:emo:

They're not to a good standard... Slowly improving though!

:teehee:
Experimenting is great fun! I've tried writing quite a few different genres, I just tend to end up adding fantasy elements even when I try not to... fantasy and mythology fascinates me, I also love to use my imagination and I just find those genres are the best for expressing that in. Ahh, children's stories, that's awesome :biggrin: I tend to write for slightly older audiences, low teens mainly, but I'd love to try writing for a younger audience at some point. I'm particularly bad at planning though... I tend to just write and see where the story goes, which is sometimes great but sometimes really confusing!

That sounds like an incredible story! I love the idea, and I bet your target demographic would as well. I would love to read it at some point, if you were happy with that. :smile: A few friendly aliens are always a good addition to a story!

I'm writing more fanfiction than original stuff at the moment (I must get out of that habit) but I'm currently tossing a few ideas around about a mythology-based story centred around angels. I need to develop my characters more before I start anything though.

Of course we can continue this tomorrow! I should probably also be going to bed really... the internet is far too addictive. :redface:

Yeah! I'd love to show you ^.^ I'm still actually trying to find a website where I can publish them. I'll probably make a blog, though haven't got round to it yet.
I'd love to read yours too.

I've never actually tried writing fan fiction before as I'm not too sure where to start there.

I love planning and shaping the story before I write it. I thinks it's better for me and I love coming up with characters. I'm not afraid to divert a little from the plan though as I think it's great to add fresh new ideas.

I'm looking to write a fantasy novel with pirates in it next. I feel they haven't been around for a long while in the market. I find it strangely scary how easy I find developing story ideas. I wish we had the chance to do this at GCSE.

I'm reading lots of books right now to improve my writing and develop my vocabulary. My goal right now is to improve my writing as I wouldn't say it's particularly great right now.

I'm sick of novels right now that don't test the reader's vocabulary (The Hunger Games is a prime example of this, great story but badly written in my opinion), so I don't want to go off doing the same. Obviously, I don't want to go off and right a Shakespeare style novel, but I do love words. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3056
Enrolment in a few hours. I was talking to my friend who had it yesterday, and they said that we have to write an essay (at least one side of A4) about where we think we will be in 10 years...

... I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YanaIguana
Maybe xD What occupation are you thinking about? :smile:

Sorry to just randomly barge in on your conversation (I feel awfully rude) but I also want to be a novelist :biggrin: although I'm not sure I'll ever get there. So I just wanted to say hi! What sort of novels would you be interested in writing? Personally I quite like fantasy/ sci-fi/ horror, sometimes with an element of dystopia or something similar. :smile:

i know i need 18 in 2 CA's for an A* overall in language but she was a tough marker/person :mad:

and no she definitely hated me :colondollar: i had a CA marked at 20/20 and she lowered it to a 12 and said my punctuation and tense wasn't good enough ..even though it was an exam CA (the spoken study one) so it didn't matter.... i then went and 'bitched' about her (as she put it) to the MFL department and she found out :colondollar:

I'm not really set on an occupation yet. Maybe a novelist, lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc. :sigh:

You are forgiven :tongue:
(your name reminds me of another user but I cant remember who....)
Another aspiring novelist here, I see. Preserve and anything is possible
I also do a bit of writting on the side myself. Mainly one-shots and poetry (*cool, I know*)
I'm more interested in tragedy, romance, sci-fi. No horror for me though....
Dystopia? I'm doing an essay on that. Feel free to exhange ideas with me about it :laugh:

:laugh:
And from that she may have held a sense of resentment towards you, for the remainder of your school year
It does seem a bit odd her lowering your controlled assessment mark for no real reason though. Did you take this matter up with another member of the English department as opposed to the French department? :tongue:
Main Question: Did you get your A*? :eyebrow:
Original post by Lucas.
Enrolment in a few hours. I was talking to my friend who had it yesterday, and they said that we have to write an essay (at least one side of A4) about where we think we will be in 10 years...

... I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck then
:laugh:
Original post by Lucas.

Me too! Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography.

Latest