The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey I got 2As 6Bs 2Cs in my GCSEs with A in maths and B in english and A/B/B in AS maths further maths and chem and im getting A*/A/A predictions, is it worth applying for acturial science or shoukd I turn elsewhere?

thanks
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 141
Hi,I am an applicant from China. I have a chance to get an offer of Economics or Mathematics and Economics from LSE?

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*
(edited 10 years ago)
If anyone has any questions about applying for Law, PM or quote me, I'm also scheduled to start this year! Best of luck people :biggrin:
Reply 143
Anyone applying on a gap year?
Reply 144
Original post by CD315
Anyone applying on a gap year?

Yes, Maths and Econonomics, yourself?
Reply 145
Original post by Deltaa

Good luck! Is this your first time applying or did you apply to some unis last year as well?
Reply 146
Original post by Deltaa

Maths with economics for me! What grades are you applying with? Also are you doing much on your year out?
Anyone know if LSE take into account extenuating circumstances?
Reply 148
Original post by slayer12
Good luck! Is this your first time applying or did you apply to some unis last year as well?

It's my first time.

Original post by CD315
Maths with economics for me! What grades are you applying with? Also are you doing much on your year out?

I'll inbox you the grades.
Reply 149
Hi,
I'm looking at Anthropology at LSE, I seem to be the only one on here looking at this course but I thought I'd join this thread anyway :smile:.
I'm doing the IB and am predicted 37 without any bonus points.
I'm starting law at SOAS next month but with the results that I recieved for my a levels (A*A*A) I've decided to apply for LSE and start law from the beginning
Reply 151
Hi, do you need to declare your UMS for Government and economics? I got 10 A*s at GCSE, 4 A's at AS but UMS scores were fairly average, certainly nothing spectacular. I have a few other things such winning an econ essay prize aswell as the usuals for my ps. I know it's a really competitive course so will my UMS scores be a hinderance?
Thanks
Original post by Yolosta
Hi, do you need to declare your UMS for Government and economics? I got 10 A*s at GCSE, 4 A's at AS but UMS scores were fairly average, certainly nothing spectacular. I have a few other things such winning an econ essay prize aswell as the usuals for my ps. I know it's a really competitive course so will my UMS scores be a hinderance?
Thanks

As far as I know you should be alright they mostly care about GCSE's more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 153
I got AB(79%)B(78%)B at as level , I sadly got a B in History and I want to apply to read history. I'm an overseas student so I'll be paying more ,do you think I stand chance?Should I apply or is it going to be a waist of space? Please answer me, I am desperate for answers :-(
Original post by arminb
I got AB(79%)B(78%)B at as level , I sadly got a B in History and I want to apply to read history. I'm an overseas student so I'll be paying more ,do you think I stand chance?Should I apply or is it going to be a waist of space? Please answer me, I am desperate for answers :-(

Grade requirements are AAA and you're close to 3 A's at AS so it's worth a shot but I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected you.
Reply 155
Original post by Dilzo999
Grade requirements are AAA and you're close to 3 A's at AS so it's worth a shot but I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected you.

thank you very much, i think i ll give it a shot, especially due to the fact that i have extenuating circumstances, i have severe stress problems and experience panic attacks. I was on therapy when doing the exams and can get the letters :-) thank you for your help:-) would i be seriously disadvantaged , i know someone who got into imperial to do engineering and had AABC at AS. Isnt history a less competitive course?
Reply 156
Original post by NedStark
Anyone know if LSE take into account extenuating circumstances?

yes they do, al unis are required to consider applicants who were disadvantaged at the time of their examination
Original post by arminb
thank you very much, i think i ll give it a shot, especially due to the fact that i have extenuating circumstances, i have severe stress problems and experience panic attacks. I was on therapy when doing the exams and can get the letters :-) thank you for your help:-) would i be seriously disadvantaged , i know someone who got into imperial to do engineering and had AABC at AS. Isnt history a less competitive course?

All the courses at LSE are really competitive. The best you can do now is get a good personal statement done and just hope for the best.
Reply 158
Original post by Dilzo999
All the courses at LSE are really competitive. The best you can do now is get a good personal statement done and just hope for the best.

guess i ll do that, God is great
Original post by mmms95
Hi, is anyone thinking of applying for BMS (business maths and statistics)?

I'm thinking of applying, but I also wanted to know how easy/difficult it is to switch courses at LSE? Let's say from BMS, to Maths with Econ? (Mainly because I feel like I might end up doing that)

Also, if I'm applying for BMS, I basically have to write a PS based on maths right? Or do I have to include things like business/finance etc? And is it necessary to mention books? (I'm an international student and tbh finding books here is not an easy task) if I mention work experience etc, plus EC activities is it enough? (I feel like the EC is mainly to show you're a well-rounded student)

Anyways, I'm mainly worried about the PS, because I hear they place a lot of emphasis on that. It would be really helpful if anyone could help/advise me (especially if you've gone for BMS)! :smile::smile:

anyways thanks in advance!! (btw my current AS subject are Maths Physics English Language and ICT - ICT is soft I know :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starting BMS in a few weeks. My personal statement was pretty much based around math, but a bit touched on how I'm interested in its applications to finance etc and talked about this one book I'd read that I found very interesting. I do think they value P.S a lot since my GCSE grades were mediocre by LSE standards, though my AS/A levels were good.

Read the LSE guidelines for the personal statement on their website, its quite helpful. Most of all though, make sure your passion for the subject shines through, as your reference will most likely talk about your academic quality/potential+that's what your GCSE's and A levels etc are for.

Also, its quite easy to switch into Maths with Econ as long as your first year grades are good, I've asked LSE about this directly. Pretty much all of the modules taken in both courses are the same for the first year and you make the correct class choices when given one(take abstract maths over intro to accounting and finance).

Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest