The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I realize I've come to this thread kind of late, but has anyone applied to Oxford Brookes for Japanese. I'm deciding between Manchester and Brookes. I'm currently living in Manchester right now, so I guess it would be more convenient, but Brookes seemed good too. Anyone know about the course? Also, is anybody here planning on doing Japanese as part of a joint honours degree?

Hi! I've recently firmed Japanese at Oxford Brookes (as part of a joint honours with English). :smile:

I didn't apply for Manchester, so I cannot really say much about that, but the reason I firmed Brookes was mainly because of the course (not many universities did Japanese and English) and the location of the university (historic city etc). I'd suggest having a good long look through the course content and also deciding on whether you'd mind staying another 3 years in Manchester.

But of course, you may have already chosen your course. :P
Reply 41
Original post by laurenelucy
I realize I've come to this thread kind of late, but has anyone applied to Oxford Brookes for Japanese. I'm deciding between Manchester and Brookes. I'm currently living in Manchester right now, so I guess it would be more convenient, but Brookes seemed good too. Anyone know about the course? Also, is anybody here planning on doing Japanese as part of a joint honours degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess you probably have made up your mind already but I firmed Manchester to study Business & Management and Japanese :smile: I chose Manchester because the Business school is good, the East Asian department has amazing partner universities, the modules look great, it's a big city with lots of opportunities and much cheaper than London ...

I can't wait for September ! :biggrin:
Heyy everyonee I'm a bit late :tongue: just checking if there are any Leeds Japanese firmers hanging about here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why????? I may have missed it but I read about people learning bits of jap from jdrama and music how come no one said ANIME? Am I the only one? I'm going to do jap at Edinburgh and aiming to be a manga artist in japan. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any anime fans out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Zafyr Estel
Why????? I may have missed it but I read about people learning bits of jap from jdrama and music how come no one said ANIME? Am I the only one? I'm going to do jap at Edinburgh and aiming to be a manga artist in japan. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any anime fans out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a huge fan of all the Ghibli movies, but I haven't watched many other anime. ^^
Original post by introvertedraccoon
Hi! I've recently firmed Japanese at Oxford Brookes (as part of a joint honours with English). :smile:

I didn't apply for Manchester, so I cannot really say much about that, but the reason I firmed Brookes was mainly because of the course (not many universities did Japanese and English) and the location of the university (historic city etc). I'd suggest having a good long look through the course content and also deciding on whether you'd mind staying another 3 years in Manchester.

But of course, you may have already chosen your course. :P
Hey! Totally forgot about this thread, but I ended up firming Brookes too! Just kind of went with my gut instinct really, and the course was what I wanted + I had the assurance of being able to speak to someone doing exactly what I want to do. Oxford is a beautiful town as well, haven't seen much of it, but what I have seen was so charming!
Original post by Bambirina
Yeah I guess you probably have made up your mind already but I firmed Manchester to study Business & Management and Japanese :smile: I chose Manchester because the Business school is good, the East Asian department has amazing partner universities, the modules look great, it's a big city with lots of opportunities and much cheaper than London ...

I can't wait for September ! :biggrin:
Manchester seemed really good! The only reason I put it as my insurance was because I didn't learn much about the film course on the open day and how it worked as a joint honours with Japanese, how much was theory or practical etc. The lecturer I saw and spoke to for Japanese seemed really cool and enthusiastic, and having lived in Manchester I can definitely say that its a really cool city, so many cool places to visit, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Hope you have a great time :smile:
Yeah!! Which one is your fav?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Yeah!! Which one is your fav?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have more than one : Princesse Mononoké, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. :smile: You?
Original post by IzzyJay25
I have more than one : Princesse Mononoké, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. :smile: You?

Howl is my all time favourite. Spirited away being 2nd. And I also love only yesterday cos its quite deep in terms of story. :-)
Reply 49
Howl is my all time favourite. Spirited away being 2nd. And I also love only yesterday cos its quite deep in terms of story. :-)

I haven't heard of that one. :frown: Have you seen The Girl Who Leap Through Time? :biggrin:
Reply 50

Leapt*
Original post by IzzyJay25
I haven't heard of that one. :frown: Have you seen The Girl Who Leap Through Time? :biggrin:

Yep. Have that on dvd. :-)
Reply 52
Hi :smile: I am thinking of doing Japanese and Edinburgh, but I was wondering whether the course is flexible enough for me to study subjects like English Lit and Chinese/German alongside Japanese. Is that possible?
OH MY GOD! FELLOW JAPANESE STUDENTS! THE EXCITEMENT!

I'm looking to apply in 2016. I think I will apply to Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford and SOAS. I haven't decided on the last one, and I'm not sure about SOAS as I live in London. It's between Edinburgh, Leeds and Sheffield as I found out you can only study Japanese with another subject at Nottingham. Any advice would be welcomed with open arms! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending