The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

How many hours a week do you vonlunteer? I am about to start but they have not told me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1141
Original post by TheGeneral95
How many hours a week do you vonlunteer? I am about to start but they have not told me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did one afternoon a week for 6 months, two weeks solid at a school, and then occasionally during the school holidays when I had time. I think it is less about the number of hours than a long term commitment - after all you are unlikely to mention the precise hours in your PS.
Original post by HCubed
I've heard that Leeds is no longer giving extra points for achieved A levels - read it on TSR but haven't checked that it's correct.

Not true open up the academic section- Full marks for achieved grades -

http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/592/faqs

Original post by Dr.Ugs
Would you know how Leeds use the UKCAT?

Has a weighting, haven't disclosed how much it's worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1143
Original post by Richyp22
Not true open up the academic section- Full marks for achieved grades -

But didn't they use to give an extra 2 marks for achieved grades over and above the max? I know one of the places I applied to did - I was fairly sure it was Leeds.
Original post by HCubed
But didn't they use to give an extra 2 marks for achieved grades over and above the max? I know one of the places I applied to did - I was fairly sure it was Leeds.

they used to, yes.
Reply 1145
Original post by ameelia22
they used to, yes.

:colondollar: thanks - don't know how that slipped through!
When it says insight into medicine, does that mean like understanding that medicine is a tough career, requires responsibility, caring and general altruism as well as application of science? Or does it mean like work experience :s-smilie:
Didn't even get through to the shortlisting stage for the Nursing Auxiliary job :frown: I should be used to rejections by now but I really wanted this job!
Reply 1148
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I think there's a box on the form that asks if you've applied before, and if so you put your old UCAS number in so they can match up your old and new details - means if you use parts of your old PS it doesn't show up as plagiarised.

I've been trying to find this box to enter my old UCAS personal ID but I just can't seem to find it anywhere?:confused:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Would you know how Leeds use the UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am still in the process of practising for my UKCAT, but from what I have heared, they look at your application as a whole. They explicitly say:
There is no predetermined cut-off score. All applicants applying for entry must take the test year prior to the year they wish to join the course. The scores will be considered when the assessors look at the whole of the application which includes the personal statement, academic background and referee's statement.

Visit the previous Leeds thread, as I have heared rumours of them using a low UKCAT cut-off for 2013 entry.(~ 630) I would e-mail admissions.

Original post by MX123
I looked up Cardiff's website and couldn't find anything about preferring re-applicant :/.. Can you link me your source?

I have personally sent an e-mail to Cardiff Admissions on the 13th May 2013, referring to 2014 entry, and this is what they said:

Dear frogs r everywhere,

Many thanks for your email and we apologise for the delay in our reply. We are currently working through a very large back log of email traffic after the interview and offer cycle and therefore some things have become a little delayed.

You may re-apply again via UCAS and we will treat your application as new. Any previous unsuccessful applications will be not be taken into account when considering your new application.

If an applicant does not think they will meet the minimum threshold for the academic score, we do advise them to apply once they have obtained their A2 Levels and have those grades in hand as this will increase their score. A2's are not scored in the same way as GCSE's (i.e. points) they are scored on a sliding scale.

I hope this helps and best wishes for the future.
Kind regards
Medical Admissions

Undergraduate Medical Admissions
5th Floor
Cochrane Building
Cardiff University
School of Medicine
Heath Park
Cardiff
CF14 4YU

Original post by meowcat
I've been trying to find this box to enter my old UCAS personal ID but I just can't seem to find it anywhere?:confused:

It will ask you when you submit your application to your referee I believe.

Original post by SusieShire
Didn't even get through to the shortlisting stage for the Nursing Auxiliary job :frown: I should be used to rejections by now but I really wanted this job!

:hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by raveen789
I forgot that there is two types of way that medical schools teach their stuff. Im not really talking about PBL vs traditional but it's like system based learning vs ______ not sure what it is, think it could be life cycles?

Subject based? So you do anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc separately rather than doing all of the A&P and pathology of the heart at the same time, for example.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Subject based? So you do anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc separately rather than doing all of the A&P and pathology of the heart at the same time, for example.

Yeah I think it's that! Although I think it was called something else but tht might just be me and my memory :tongue:
Reply 1152
Original post by raveen789
When it says insight into medicine, does that mean like understanding that medicine is a tough career, requires responsibility, caring and general altruism as well as application of science? Or does it mean like work experience :s-smilie:

Well both - work experience will allow you to see that many doctors, for example, work under extreme time pressure, do not spent all day saving lives, and sometimes can't do much for their patients. (As an example I talked in my PS about working with a severely autistic child, and recognising that I would never be able to fully engage him, but concentrated on achieving small tasks - apparently that went over very well.) I just think it means you have a realistic idea of what the job entails, and of the qualities required to succeed - good communcation/social skills, ability to work in a team and show leadership when required.
Original post by ameelia22
Whilst this doesn't apply to me, where can you apply if you resit your AS year with no extenuating circumstances? I ask, because many universities that would normally consider reapplicants consider them on the basis that they achieved XXX at A2 at first sitting, however because you resit your AS year you don't know that information?

Retaking your AS modules in your A2 year would not pose a problem to most medical schools, its your predictions that matters.

Or if youre talking about retaking the AS year again, so taking 3 years to complete the A level course (2 years of AS, 1 year of A2), then I'm not really sure...
Reply 1154
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I am still in the process of practising for my UKCAT, but from what I have heared, they look at your application as a whole. They explicitly say:

Visit the previous Leeds thread, as I have heared rumours of them using a low UKCAT cut-off for 2013 entry.(~ 630) I would e-mail admissions.

I have personally sent an e-mail to Cardiff Admissions on the 13th May 2013, referring to 2014 entry, and this is what they said:

It will ask you when you submit your application to your referee I believe.

:hugs:

Oh thanks

But what do they mean by sliding scale?...
Okay so I'm a re-applicant after getting 4 rejections last year (got an interview at Aberdeen). I know most people on here are English so these qualifications may be confusing haha
Standard Grades: 8 1s
Highers: AAAAA (AA in 6th year)
Advanced Higher Chem and Bio: AA
UKCAT: 2910 (avg. 727.5)

I've done really well in my exams and improved my UKCAT this year by 450 points, the thing I'm worried about is that I don't look like I've had a productive gap thus far. In reality though I've been applying for every job that I can in the NHS since the end of May and had no luck so far :frown:

I've had two interviews and have another on the 10th but if I don't get this one then I'm going to have a boring PS I reckon. I have done voluntary work on a palliative care ward for like an hour a week and I am nearly finished my Gold DofE. Any advice on what I should do for work because I'd obviously like to be earning money for uni but also want the work to be relevant. Thanks :smile:

EDIT: BTW, you can't get A* in Scottish exams haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1156
With the Leeds and the UKCAT use (or any other university for that matter), even with their web policy...I know this sounds so obvious but just call them up tomorrow and ask. It should be a quiet time now post A level results. You'll feel a lot more reassured by taking 5 mins to do so than relying solely on TSR.
Reply 1157
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

Hello, do you know whether soton is accepting resitters this admission cycle?
Reply 1158
Original post by Toppy
Resitting was easier for me as I could do the exam in January! Reapplying was also easier as I think more places accepted resits. I applied to BSMS, UEA, Keele and Southampton. I got an interview at UEA and Keele. I got rejected after interview by UEA and I withdrew from Keele after getting my offer at Southampton. Southampton didn't interview (I think they do now?). Good luck to your daughter!

I really want to get into UEA, you got any tip in securing an interview?
Reply 1159
Original post by Scottasaurus
x

it seems like you've done enough stuff really for people to know you havn't just wasted away the last few months and remember there's still a couple of months yet and pssibly more time till interviews start, so time to do other stuff :smile:

But if you were struggling than why bit talk about the struggle for jobs etc with competition and also about what you want to do for the restof the year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending