The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
RT is well known to be complete utter garbage with ex KGB officers even admitting it's basically a Kremlin news service. Yeah western media has it's problems but nothing on the scale of RT
Reply 681
Original post by Aj12
RT is well known to be complete utter garbage with ex KGB officers even admitting it's basically a Kremlin news service. Yeah western media has it's problems but nothing on the scale of RT

absolute nonsense.

Liberate yourself from preconceived ideas before passing judgement,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 682
Original post by Bart1331
I think its more that rt reports on things that biased western media refuses to, and you just dont like it so its easier to dismiss rt as "biased". If rt is biased, its no more biased than western media. Are you going to tell me to "use BBC as a source at your peril"?

When you're conditioned by the controlled media to consider russia as an enemy and deterrent, people will stick with that idea and refuse to take anything from that country as noteworthy.

Like De Gaulle said: "this bunch of cattle"....
Original post by Rovey
When you're conditioned by the controlled media to consider russia as an enemy and deterrent, people will stick with that idea and refuse to take anything from that country as noteworthy.

Like De Gaulle said: "this bunch of cattle"....

RT is like Press TV. They're both government funded and get used as propaganda tools.

The western media outlets don't tend to be government funded and are independent of government.

During the cold War we had a chunk of people in teh West who believed that the Soviet Union/Russia was a bastion of freedom. They aligned themselves to that country. The Soviet Union collapsed as it's people knew it was pump, yet this same grouping never realised that their dream and fantasy of a workers paradise didn't work.

Some people still look towarads the east as they are hard wired to believe that everything we do is wrong. I don't know why, but I think it's because of a lack of education and a deep seated belief that they know that they are a failure in life, so they go on exhorting the virtues of the Russia and Iran.

Go out,, travel, see some of these places. You'll then realise how lucky we are to live in the UK and how much these regimes don't like us because they can't offer their people what we have. So they produce negative propaganda in order to secure their own regimes.
Reply 684
Ok, this is probably a rather naive comment to make but what were/ are the rebels demands? Trying to look at the options for peace here. What would stop them fighting the government? If I am correct, Assad was elected democratically, so why can't they pursue the opposition political party route? I'm sure it's far more complex than this but would this not be a start and an end to the killing at least? Elections could be monitored to make sure there is no fixing etc. In return, Assad would have to call an election this year or something similar? What do you think the bargain should be to keep both sides happy?
Reply 685
[QUOTE="MatureStudent36;44253683"]RT is like Press TV. They're both government funded and get used as propaganda tools.

The western media outlets don't tend to be government funded and are independent of government.

Western media outlets tend to be independent of government, get yourself a clue! If they were, we would know by now how corrupt these countries are

During the cold War we had a chunk of people in teh West who believed that the Soviet Union/Russia was a bastion of freedom. They aligned themselves to that country. The Soviet Union collapsed as it's people knew it was pump, yet this same grouping never realised that their dream and fantasy of a workers paradise didn't work.

you're talking out of your ass, no one thought that everyone knew people in East germany and elsewhere were having a rough time the USSR was a dictatorship.

Some people still look towarads the east as they are hard wired to believe that everything we do is wrong. I don't know why, but I think it's because of a lack of education and a deep seated belief that they know that they are a failure in life, so they go on exhorting the virtues of the Russia and Iran.

yes, people who don't understand the sufferance inflicted by these countries really do lack education and critical thinking. Not sure how that links in with being a failure in life, i think you're just ignorant.

Go out,, travel, see some of these places. You'll then realise how lucky we are to live in the UK and how much these regimes don't like us because they can't offer their people what we have. So they produce negative propaganda in order to secure their own regimes.

Except the UK was responsible for installing despots in some of these places, again, you're completely outside of reality while people continue to have their rights curtailed in the very place we live these places take issue with the west because these countries are terrorist states.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 686
Original post by MTR_10
Ok, this is probably a rather naive comment to make but what were/ are the rebels demands? Trying to look at the options for peace here. What would stop them fighting the government? If I am correct, Assad was elected democratically, so why can't they pursue the opposition political party route? I'm sure it's far more complex than this but would this not be a start and an end to the killing at least? Elections could be monitored to make sure there is no fixing etc. In return, Assad would have to call an election this year or something similar? What do you think the bargain should be to keep both sides happy?

The rebels/syrian people asked for a peaceful resolution right from the start, for 11 months they marched peacefully down the street demanding he listens to them, if there was any democracy or stability (as some on here seem to think) then he would have (if he was in the right mind) invited them, sat down and agreed on a resolution. All they wanted was the ability to express ones opinion without been imprisoned or have their family dragged in the middle of the night into a tiny cell...they wanted to be able to have a job without the discrimination between class and religion. They were sick of being discriminated against just because of their political or religious beliefs, so they put an end to it.

You know what he is a bit crazy of he had listened to their demands back then without using violence from day 1 and shooting at funerals then they would still be on his side they would have listened to him as well, But am afraid its too late now for a political resolution he has gone too far there is just no turning back, he has damaged so much its unbearable for anyone...He missed his chances. There are is a limit to everything and he crossed it way back.

Can you forgive Hitler for killing all the Jewish people back then? No, some people until this day hate Germans and anything associated with them because of that. You do a Hitler salute now a days and you see what happens to you...and rightly saw. You get my point?

To be on the same page Bashar has to start with a new leaf...and HOW could you if you still have blood on you hands and if you STILL gassing them, and even worse he still disapproves (just like some on here) that there is actually a revolution, what maniac would do that?

p.s forgot to add, election does NOT exist in syria, just like any arab country, the current president won by 99.1% :tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin: Never in the history of syria was their a politically elected president. Hafez passed on the "throne" to his stupid son and bashar (will pass it on to his son who is currently ~7 years old if I remember correctly. This is just ONE of the mess in syria for ~40 years...

So take democracy out of the equation, for now at least!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 687
Original post by MTR_10

The rebels want Assad to go no matter what, they don't give one pence for democracy as it can be illustrated from mission of Al Nusra, they want to reinstate the Caliphate and they some how think getting Syria in their command will suddenly restore the Caliphate.
Reply 688
It is completely absurd that the government is considering military intervention in Syria. It is clear to us that you should not make the same mistake twice and the UK needs to follow this principal based on past events which ensued in Iraq. More to the point, the British government needs to stop being a puppet to its friend across the Atlantic and end this 'special relationship' at once.
Reply 689
Original post by Enoxial
The rebels want Assad to go no matter what, they don't give one pence for democracy as it can be illustrated from mission of Al Nusra, they want to reinstate the Caliphate and they some how think getting Syria in their command will suddenly restore the Caliphate.

yes, these wahhabis were mobilised from all over the arab world, including north africa, arabia, and the caucuses to al qaeda camps in turkey and jordan where they are shown vids of jihad by funded clerics who tell them alawites are infidels and must be killed.

that was from a confession by a captured fsa terrorist.
Reply 690
Original post by Rovey
yes, these wahhabis were mobilised from all over the arab world, including north africa, arabia, and the caucuses to al qaeda camps in turkey and jordan where they are shown vids of jihad by funded clerics who tell them alawites are infidels and must be killed.

that was from a confession by a captured fsa terrorist.

I can almost picture how horrible Syria would be if these terrorists come in power.
And there's more good news:

Syria's neighbours are preparing for conflict.

Turkey is on alert against possible chemical attacks from Syria and has stocked food and gas masks along their shared border, officials say.

The Turkish government's crisis management centre said on Twitter on Thursday that officials had designated bunkers at seven areas along the border to protect the people in the area from harm.

It also said a team of 100 chemical weapons experts were sent to the border area which was being screened for any signs of chemical attacks.
Turkey has backed Syria's opposition and rebels and said it would take part in any international coalition that would move against the Syrian government.

Meanwhile, Israeli police say thousands of Israelis are crowding gas-mask distribution facilities.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said officers were deployed to maintain order in the northern city of Haifa, where more than 5,000 people jostled in line as they waited for their protective kits today.

Israel has called up reservists and deployed missile defense batteries in preparation for a possible Syrian response to an American attack.
Reply 692
Original post by Enoxial
I can almost picture how horrible Syria would be if these terrorists come in power.

Not as horrible as it is now...this is the lowest of the lowest. But I gather from your posts and your rather fruitless comments you rather see alwites killing sunnis it gives you more pleasure to see army officers telling normal sunni guys to kiss their shoes and kneel to the god "bashar"...You rather see alwites raping sunni women and killin sunni children, this is nothing to do with terrorism this is your hatred towards Muslims in general especially sunnis. The alwites in their power have killed more than any "terrorist" has in syria. I wont start down that road because its pointless but you know too well that the government (national security, army..etc) consists of more than 80% alwites who have ruled the country for the past 40 years and have brought it to its knees, they have started a sectarian war although they deny it, as always claim to be the victim.

The only problem here is not everyone is as naive as you and they have (most people) realised by now that Bashar is killing people in syria rather than the usual waffle "bashar is fighting terrorist..bashar is peaceful guy, bashar is bringing stability" Who are you kidding by saying stability, there was never any stability in syria and there will never be unless bashar is kicked out of the country or better still imprisoned for his horrific crimes along with any supporters who shout for violence and support a sectarian war.
Original post by Ama2007
Not as horrible as it is now...this is the lowest of the lowest. But I gather from your posts and your rather fruitless comments you rather see alwites killing sunnis it gives you more pleasure to see army officers telling normal sunni guys to kiss their shoes and kneel to the god "bashar"...You rather see alwites raping sunni women and killin sunni children, this is nothing to do with terrorism this is your hatred towards Muslims in general especially sunnis. The alwites in their power have killed more than any "terrorist" has in syria. I wont start down that road because its pointless but you know too well that the government (national security, army..etc) consists of more than 80% alwites who have ruled the country for the past 40 years and have brought it to its knees, they have started a sectarian war although they deny it, as always claim to be the victim.

The only problem here is not everyone is as naive as you and they have (most people) realised by now that Bashar is killing people in syria rather than the usual waffle "bashar is fighting terrorist..bashar is peaceful guy, bashar is bringing stability" Who are you kidding by saying stability, there was never any stability in syria and there will never be unless bashar is kicked out of the country or better still imprisoned for his horrific crimes along with any supporters who shout for violence and support a sectarian war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was never any stability in Syria?
Reply 694
So the vote was rejected last night. Am I right in saying that there will be a re-vote once the UN has published their findings?
Reply 696
vote or no vote the revolution will not end unless bashar is tried for his crimes. Thats that.

At the end of the day the syrians inside syria are the ones who are going to decide their future, not you or I.

They said from the start and I dont think for a minute they are backing away after 2 years of sacrificing, they will get there in the end whether today, tomorrow or sometime in the future...they will get what they want. Thats just the way the ball is rolling now :biggrin:
Original post by Ama2007
vote or no vote the revolution will not end unless bashar is tried for his crimes. Thats that.

At the end of the day the syrians inside syria are the ones who are going to decide their future, not you or I.

They said from the start and I dont think for a minute they are backing away after 2 years of sacrificing, they will get there in the end whether today, tomorrow or sometime in the future...they will get what they want. Thats just the way the ball is rolling now :biggrin:

So you support what the rebels have been doing for the last 2 years? Do you know what the rebels are fighting for, and who the rebels are?
Original post by Ama2007

What about the hundreds of atrocities committed by Opposition forces?

(I am all for Assad leaving, but I don't believe now is the time, not during the civil war, all fighting must end first and only then should a new government form.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why dont the UK attack isreal. They have killed millions yet no cares.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending