The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Was told that applicants for accommodation on the waiting list would be notified today, anyone heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Squirb
If you log into the accommodation portal you can see if it's been allocated yet or if it's still awaiting allocation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine still says awaiting allocation :frown:
Original post by JTP94
Was told that applicants for accommodation on the waiting list would be notified today, anyone heard anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an email saying I will get accommodation but I haven't been allocated anything. They said it would be most likely a single in the city or temporary sharing on campus.
I got an email saying I got nothing, I have to come to an event and get a house. :frown:
Original post by jilebinator
I got an email saying I got nothing, I have to come to an event and get a house. :frown:

Deuce.
Reply 265
Original post by jilebinator

Same here

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this isnt accommodation related but what do we do next? when do we enroll?
I am new to TSR and am not a student but a concerned mum! My son has also received an email from Bath saying he will need to find private accommodation as he has not been allocated anything else. With regard to the 'event' I presume this means the open weekend of the 7th and 8th Sept to look at private housing that may be available. If my son attends it will cost approx £100 in train fares and it takes approx 4 hours each way from where we live. Not very happy at the moment.:frown:
Reply 268
Original post by Laurieejade
Bath was my first choice and I got the grades and applied for accommadation the day it opened yet I still haven't been allocated accommadation......

Same here, I applied like 10 minutes after it opened and I only found mine out yesterday. Don't worry though, I still got my top choice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello to all soon to be students :smile:

I'm a current student and I know not getting accommodation can be a real pain but it isn't the end of the world. The housing event is brilliant and gives you the chance to meet people who are in the same position and then help each group of you to get a house.

I understand that this makes starting university even more daunting but the uni provide a lot of support (and you'll be a step ahead of everyone when it comes to second year accommodation!)

Good luck to you all and it will work out okay :smile:
Reply 270
Original post by Mumsknowbest
I am new to TSR and am not a student but a concerned mum! My son has also received an email from Bath saying he will need to find private accommodation as he has not been allocated anything else. With regard to the 'event' I presume this means the open weekend of the 7th and 8th Sept to look at private housing that may be available. If my son attends it will cost approx £100 in train fares and it takes approx 4 hours each way from where we live. Not very happy at the moment.:frown:

There's not very much else to do, it's ridiculous how they are making someone who lives so far away find private accommodation themselves! Was Bath his firm choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I highly suggest he buys a railcard as it makes train travel far cheaper! I live 4.5 hours away from Bath and can get a return for £30 (this included London underground etc)
Original post by Jessss
Same here, I applied like 10 minutes after it opened and I only found mine out yesterday. Don't worry though, I still got my top choice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me feel way better ! Might actually get my first choice, maybe it's done alphabetically cause my surname is always near the end
Reply 273

Hi, I am a mum in EXACTLY the same dreadful situation. I called the accom office yesterday and although they were sympathetic, there's no other solution. My son is gutted (as am I, we're 250 miles away). He's actually contemplating deferring because of this. We applied to the waiting list within 4 mins of it opening and still missed out. They were still offering clearing places at this point! If we travel down next weekend it's £200 if I go too, have no idea what to do. Private contracts are often for 11 months and mostly exclude bills. My son gets less than £4k maintenance loan so won't cover rent. We're so stressed by it all
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jrt70
Hi, I am a mum in EXACTLY the same dreadful situation. I called the accom office yesterday and although they were sympathetic, there's no other solution. My son is gutted (as am I, we're 250 miles away). He's actually contemplating deferring because of this. We applied to the waiting list within 4 mins of it opening and still missed out. They were still offering clearing places at this point! If we travel down next weekend it's £200 if I go too, have no idea what to do. Private contracts are often for 11 months and mostly exclude bills. My son gets less than £4k maintenance loan so won't cover rent. We're so stressed by it all

Glad it's not just us in this situation! Like yourself, if I accompany my son next week it will cost almost £200 in rail fares - unless we look at railcards as suggested. I have not discussed it properly with my son as he is abroad at the moment but I have also been thinking to myself if deferring may be an option for him too. It's stressful enough when your son/daughter goes off to university but this is making it so much worse.
Original post by Squirb
There's not very much else to do, it's ridiculous how they are making someone who lives so far away find private accommodation themselves! Was Bath his firm choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit of a long story! Bath was actually his insurance choice to do Engineering but he missed his offer ( his firm choice was Durham) He ended up in clearing and got a place in Bath on a completely different course - International Management with German. We knew he would probably be way down the pecking order for accommodation but hoped at the very least he may have got in one of the city centre student halls.
Original post by Jrt70

His maintenance loan wouldn't have covered rent in halls either...? Get him signed up to bathstudentpad.com, there will be lots of housefuls with everything organised who just need 1 to fill the last room.
Reply 277
Original post by RibenaRockstar
His maintenance loan wouldn't have covered rent in halls either...? Get him signed up to bathstudentpad.com, there will be lots of housefuls with everything organised who just need 1 to fill the last room.

It would've covered John Wood Court with a fiver a week to spare. However, the same over 11 months would be impossible for us right now. He's considering doing further maths a lev this year with his old maths teacher, and working to save up, at least he'd be Unconditional Firm when accom application opens next year. I hear Bath have new accom opening next year, too.
Original post by Jrt70
It would've covered John Wood Court with a fiver a week to spare. However, the same over 11 months would be impossible for us right now. He's considering doing further maths a lev this year with his old maths teacher, and working to save up, at least he'd be Unconditional Firm when accom application opens next year. I hear Bath have new accom opening next year, too.

Yes, but the new accomm is all en suite, which is pretty stupid tbh.

Where are you getting 11 months from? More likely to be 10 since most student lets in bath are July-June
Reply 279
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Yes, but the new accomm is all en suite, which is pretty stupid tbh.

Where are you getting 11 months from? More likely to be 10 since most student lets in bath are July-June

Im just going off the info the accom officer gave me yesterday when we called. We're going to try to sort it out this weekend before we she'll out for train fare next weekend.

Latest