The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physics4ever
you could start teaching yourself further maths now,and by june you could have taught yourself it like 4 times and be a master! :biggrin:

Where should I start? Can you give me some tips, advice and resources please! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CrisSBaader
Where should I start? Can you give me some tips, advice and resources please! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would start by learning all the core modules first so you know all the methods for solving different types of mathematical problems,dont buy the CGP textbooks they dont go into a lot of detail and doesnt give you a good understanding at all,if your doing OCR i'd recommend the textbooks by hugh neil and douglas quadling they explain how everyting works so you get the full picture,and they have plenty of excercizes too,if you do a different exam board idk which textbooks to get,if you have any problems you could ask here or go on youtube theyre really helpful
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2222
Hi guys

I was wondering whether it would be advisable to drop chemistry in A2, which will make it easier to take some additional mechanics modules (and pure), as well as hopefully taking STEP. I'm not overly interested in chemistry so I doubt I could get more than an A in it. I assume they don't much care for chemistry either? This won't have any repercussions is what I'm asking essentially?
Hi guys I have a quick question,

I heard Oxford do this PAT thing and that is pretty much one of the most important things, other than the interview, to get into the university there and I'm a bit worried about it :/ So my question is, where am I meant to start? Some of the questions on the papers are subjects that I haven't covered in school yet, so where am I able to find out this information, learn it inside out and hopefully get a good mark at the end of it?

and can anyone recommend any resources they used to revise for it? and how they learnt ahead of the course in the first place?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 2224
Wassup people!

So, after finally deciding that I am going to be applying to Oxford for engineering rather than Cambridge, it is now time for me to start preparing for the PAT. I thought the best people to ask about how to prepare and what sort of score I should aim for would be you lovely Oxonians from TSR.

So, what did you do to prepare for the PAT? How much did you prepare? What worked for you and what didn't?

Thank you for any advice. :smile:
Reply 2225
hey guys is anyone here doing physics and could tell me what the application process for physics is like? Stuff like the exam before hand and the interview thanks in advance.
Hi, so, I'm taking the PAT in November, and I've been attempting past papers, but obviously, as they don't publish mark schemes, I have no idea how I'm doing.

Are there any sample answers online anywhere? Even if they're not necessarily perfect? Like, solutions that a teacher or even a student have done so I can compare?

I've asked my Physics and Maths teachers for help, but they seem a bit reluctant (I guess it is an extra lot of work on their behalf.) They'll go through a couple of papers with me, but I want to do all the past papers if possible.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 2227
Original post by blumemusik

Are there any sample answers online anywhere? Even if they're not necessarily perfect? Like, solutions that a teacher or even a student have done so I can compare?

These are a great help - and pretty much perfect ...

http://matthewfrench.net/oxans.html

and the BPhO past papers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2228
Original post by Branman
how to prepare and what sort of score I should aim fo

Obvs know your maths and physics - you will have covered most of the stuff in GCSE and AS. Look at matt french's answers and the physics olympiad papers.

70% is a very good mark - there where some results charts I found a while ago, cant find them now though.
Reply 2229
Sup future physicists!

I have a question. When you apply to oxford through ucas, you have 2 options for physics. A 3 year one and a 4 year one. Which one do most people generally choose? And can you apply to both (I would think not)?
Original post by ZafarS
Sup future physicists!

I have a question. When you apply to oxford through ucas, you have 2 options for physics. A 3 year one and a 4 year one. Which one do most people generally choose? And can you apply to both (I would think not)?

They are treated in the same way for admissions purposes, and it's easy to change between them (the courses are the same for the first two years). Generally for student finance reasons it's better to apply for the 4 year course (if you start on 3 years, but want to go to 4, student finance can be funny about giving you the extra year).
Reply 2231
Original post by fluteflute
They are treated in the same way for admissions purposes, and it's easy to change between them (the courses are the same for the first two years). Generally for student finance reasons it's better to apply for the 4 year course (if you start on 3 years, but want to go to 4, student finance can be funny about giving you the extra year).

Wow! Thanks for the swift reply! Duly noted. Another quick question; What would you say is the 'best' college for the physicists? I know 'best' is subjective, but I have absolutely no clue, and I don't really mind the college as long as it is physicist-friendly and not too un-oxford-y (It doesn't have to be the most Harry Potter-ish college, but if the college was founded in 2009 it would detract from the magic, imo. )
Original post by ZafarS
Wow! Thanks for the swift reply! Duly noted. Another quick question; What would you say is the 'best' college for the physicists? I know 'best' is subjective, but I have absolutely no clue, and I don't really mind the college as long as it is physicist-friendly and not too un-oxford-y (It doesn't have to be the most Harry Potter-ish college, but if the college was founded in 2009 it would detract from the magic, imo. )

I'm not actually a Physicist, but I'm pretty safe to say that there's no 'best' college :smile:

As a Physicist, you've got a pretty long list to choose from: Balliol, Brasenose, Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Jesus College, Keble, Lady Margaret Hall, Lincoln, Magdalen, Mansfield, Merton, New College, Oriel, Pembroke, Queen’s, St Anne’s, St Catherine’s, St Edmund Hall, St Hilda’s, St Hugh’s, St John’s, St Peter’s, Somerville, Trinity, University College, Wadham, Worcester

If you want some older architecture, avoid St Anne's and St Catherine's, but you're probably safe otherwise (although all colleges have their more modern buildings!)

You might want to check out the general TSR advise on choosing a college: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Choosing_an_Oxford_College
Reply 2233
Original post by fluteflute
I'm not actually a Physicist, but I'm pretty safe to say that there's no 'best' college :smile:

As a Physicist, you've got a pretty long list to choose from: Balliol, Brasenose, Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Jesus College, Keble, Lady Margaret Hall, Lincoln, Magdalen, Mansfield, Merton, New College, Oriel, Pembroke, Queen’s, St Anne’s, St Catherine’s, St Edmund Hall, St Hilda’s, St Hugh’s, St John’s, St Peter’s, Somerville, Trinity, University College, Wadham, Worcester

If you want some older architecture, avoid St Anne's and St Catherine's, but you're probably safe otherwise (although all colleges have their more modern buildings!)

You might want to check out the general TSR advise on choosing a college: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Choosing_an_Oxford_College

That link doesn't say anything about tutors I believe, are they not considered as an important factor? I have stumbled upon this site: http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/

I've tried every option, and Merton/Balliol seem to be the best according to my preferences.

Merton has a lot of undergrads for physics, is (one of) the best in terms of performance, is old, has a big endowment and looks cool. The only thing which might be bad is the relatively low number of tutors. But does this matter at all? If not, then Merton is definitely my #1. I looked at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons#Merton_College and Merton seems awesome from that site too.

If the amount of tutors is really important, than it is a toss-up between Hertford and Balliol. But I hope it isn't, it would make my choice easier...
Original post by ZafarS
That link doesn't say anything about tutors I believe, are they not considered as an important factor? I have stumbled upon this site: http://www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/

I've tried every option, and Merton/Balliol seem to be the best according to my preferences.

Merton has a lot of undergrads for physics, is (one of) the best in terms of performance, is old, has a big endowment and looks cool. The only thing which might be bad is the relatively low number of tutors. But does this matter at all? If not, then Merton is definitely my #1. I looked at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons#Merton_College and Merton seems awesome from that site too.

If the amount of tutors is really important, than it is a toss-up between Hertford and Balliol. But I hope it isn't, it would make my choice easier...

The tutors themselves are important, because they'll be a reasonably important part of your teaching (at least for the first year, or maybe two). But there's no easy way to find out whether the individual tutors are amazing/good/dodgy without hunting down some current students to ask.

I wouldn't place that any importance on the number of tutors. Every college will have enough tutors to teach you, and if not, they'll send you to other colleges for tutorials. :smile: In some cases more tutors might mean more contact time, but it would more likely just mean that there's people doing research that have no impact on you. (plus the numbers on that website are about five years old so don't pay much attention!)

Sounds like Merton is your answer :biggrin:
Re PAT preparation.
My daughter is struggling with the PAT past papers. Can anyone advise the best way to go about the preparation.
Her ums in the AS was 300 so she thought that she should be able to cope with the Pat.
Do people attempt the questions without checking the solutions? Or do you revise a subject first? Or are there any books to buy? Or is it all too much?
be grateful for any suggestions
Original post by Treetops66
Re PAT preparation.
My daughter is struggling with the PAT past papers. Can anyone advise the best way to go about the preparation.
Her ums in the AS was 300 so she thought that she should be able to cope with the Pat.
Do people attempt the questions without checking the solutions? Or do you revise a subject first? Or are there any books to buy? Or is it all too much?

Hey Dude I'm taking the PAT too and so far I've found the best way is to get a teacher that knows their stuff to help you out. My physics teacher has agreed to go through a whole past paper every week after school one day up until the exam.
I haven't got a specific books but i have got my dads old a level book simply because it goes into more depth than the newer ones we get given at school.
In answer to your last question its not too much as long as she works for it, especially if she got full ums in her AS year so she should be more than capable :P but yeah i think the most important thing is to get a teacher because i don't think anyone would be able to get through it by themselves :L
Hope that helped and Good Luck!
Reply 2237
Original post by Treetops66
Re PAT preparation.

The most important piece of advice I can give your daughter is to revise everything before the test, don't use a calculator and try to finish the test within the time limit.

Try to mimic making the actual PAT to the best of your abilities (by doing the aforementioned things). This way you and your daughter can look at her weaknesses and even make a strategy on what section to do first and what to do last.

Don't buy anything, lol. This is the age of the internet, everything she needs is online. You have TONS of practice material (I've heard the past physics olympiad papers are very good), you have a lot of sites where she can ask questions, you have everything you'll ever need.
Reply 2238
Does anybody know when the physics course in 2014 starts?
Original post by ZafarS
Does anybody know when the physics course in 2014 starts?

The start of term will be October 12th, with most freshers arriving about a week beforehand.

If you're planning things for next summer then bear in mind that almost every other university starts a bit before Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending