The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carrotstar
Hi peeps!

So I've just started A2 Chemistry OCR B Salters, and I have to choose a topic for my project. At the moment I'm thinking of something like the Catalytic Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide. But I'm not sure what it includes.

Can anyone who's either already done this or has chosen it give me a few pointers,or even suggest another one that they've enjoyed? It all seems very vague at the moment!

Thanks!

I did Hydrogen Peroxide as my Individual Investigation. It is fairly good topic :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MangaDreams
I did Hydrogen Peroxide as my Individual Investigation. It is fairly good topic :smile:

Did you follow the OCR guidelines, or did you do it differently?
Did you follow the OCR guidelines, or did you do it differently?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

We were 'assigned' to topics that the teachers believed would be suitable to our ability.

For each topic, there was a booklet that suggested experiments we would use. I just followed that and asked help from my Chemistry teacher.
Reply 4
Honestly, I'm not sure.

We were 'assigned' to topics that the teachers believed would be suitable to our ability.

For each topic, there was a booklet that suggested experiments we would use. I just followed that and asked help from my Chemistry teacher.

Haha okay, I wish I had it that easy! We were given a booklet with suggestions in but have to come up with our own experiments from research!
Haha okay, I wish I had it that easy! We were given a booklet with suggestions in but have to come up with our own experiments from research!

Oh yes, we had to do our research about the experiments such as the Titrations. & Had to research on the reactions that are taking place etc. The booklet suggested like amounts and stuff, but we had to make our own instructions to follow. Like equipments needed & Why. Methods etc. Then an evaluation and explanation.

Stressful times, lemme tell you haha.
Reply 6

MangaDreams, I'm doing the hydrogen peroxide decomposition too but I'm really worried about how long the investigation will take. Apparently 18+ hours is good but how long does the peroxide take to decompose generally (with catalyst)?
Reply 7
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey people of TSR!!

I am currently studying OCR B (Salters) Chemistry and I am doing my Individual Investigation on 'The Purity of Aspirin'. If anyone who has previously done this could help me out in any way, I would be truly grateful.

Many Thanks
tomatron :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah, someone has made a thread!
I'm doing the iodine and propanone one.
Reply 9
Posting details about the coursework on this forum is against TSR's rules and guidelines. Any specific information that has been posted shall be removed and 5 warning points given. Posting any personal information (such as email addresses, or asking to be PM'd) or asking for specific help on this thread shall be considered as an attempt to cheat, and will be dealt with in the same way.

General discussion is fine however, and the above rules are rarely enforced, however they need to be stated due to a few recent attempts to get round them. Good luck guys! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Nirgilis
Posting details about the coursework on this forum is against TSR's rules and guidelines. Any specific information that has been posted shall be removed and 5 warning points given. Posting any personal information (such as email addresses, or asking to be PM'd) or asking for specific help on this thread shall be considered as an attempt to cheat, and will be dealt with in the same way.

General discussion is fine however, and the above rules are rarely enforced, however they need to be stated due to a few recent attempts to get round them. Good luck guys! :smile:

I've only had my account since yesterday so what does PM'd mean?
Reply 11
Original post by EmwyH
I've only had my account since yesterday so what does PM'd mean?

PM = Private Message :smile:

Basically, what's not allowed:

''Could anyone who's done XX practical send it to [email protected] please?'' or ''Could anyone who's done XX practical please PM me'' or the like :smile:

It's really not fair on the guys who have already done their practicals if someone else gets all the help :h: . Plus, OCR get a bit grumpy if everyone's coursework ends up being the same, and so make it known to us here :erm: . In my school year, just as an example, the exam board downgraded us all from an A to a C because the entire class had done very similar coursework :rolleyes:

You guys are allowed to chat about most things, just nothing like ''The results from adding A to B gave me C''; something that blatantly gives away the answer :tongue:
Reply 12
Completely agree with your point Nirgilis. Have had way too many incidents of someone copying answers over my shoulder or not trying as hard as me and still getting the same marks :frown:
Reply 13
Just in addition though, obviously your teacher can help you but is there a certain limit to this, besides them doing the work for you? I feel like I'm nagging my teacher all the time.
Reply 14
I am looking into doing kinetics of the reaction between propanone and iodine in acid solution.

Does anyone have a link for a good quality examplar or a previous essay they have done? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm supposed to be looking at the concentration of chloride ions in sea water for this. I know the chemistry isn't that difficult but I've been told to do a whole bunch of planning work over half term with no resources or any idea how to get started :L can someone please tell me what's supposed to be included?! :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by Study or cake?
Hi, I'm supposed to be looking at the concentration of chloride ions in sea water for this. I know the chemistry isn't that difficult but I've been told to do a whole bunch of planning work over half term with no resources or any idea how to get started :L can someone please tell me what's supposed to be included?! :confused:

Same boat. I am doing the one about bromate ions and kinetic energy etc. But have no idea where to start and what to do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. What do you have to include in the plan for the experiement. Thanks.
Original post by ahmad94
Same boat. I am doing the one about bromate ions and kinetic energy etc. But have no idea where to start and what to do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. What do you have to include in the plan for the experiement. Thanks.

Original post by Study or cake?

hi, i've also been told to write up my plan over half term! but i actually got a lot of information on what to include so hopefully this list helps:

•

aims of the investigation

•

background knowledge (this is the section with all your research about substances used, reactions that are happening, that sort of thing- for kinetics stuff about order of reactions as well)

•

risk assessment tables

•

equipment list

•

your preliminary method

•

and a bibliography for what you've done so far

the only additions you'll make to this section of the coursework after your lab time will be the improvements to your preliminary method and then a formal write up of the full method you used, incl. tables showing how you diluted your standard solutions if applicable - my teacher recommended we do those calculations over half term as well so we only have to change them slightly if necessary.

hope this helped, i have quite a lot of information that my school's given us, so if you have any other questions about how to write it up i might have the answers - but bare in mind i haven't done it yet :wink:

(oh and mine is on the reaction of magnesium and acids)
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm looking at the hardness of water samples. Does anybody know if water samples deteriorate?
Reply 19
If kept properly closed (in general it is a good idea to close the samples in such a way there are no air bubbles in the bottle), and if you are trying to investigate hardness only, they should be stable. But you should look for any precipitate or cloudiness - if you see these, your results can be off.

Latest