The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Help! Timetable Conflict!

Hi.

I'm enrolling for subjects in the University of Glasgow for a Bsc of Science, but the subjects I'm hoping to choose clash with each other!

I want to do Physics, Maths and Astronomy. The Physics and Maths are fine, but the Astronomy clashes with everything - what can I do? The other times for Physics and Maths don't help the situation - if I selected them, they'd still clash with the Astronomy times.

What really saddens me is that Chemistry was my back up, but it's the same case as with Astronomy!

What can I do?
Exactly the same problem, I can't fit in Astronomy, or almost any other class because it clashes with my biology labs. Can i just not go to one lecture a week and deal with it or do i need to find something that perfectly fits?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Hi.

I'm enrolling for subjects in the University of Glasgow for a Bsc of Science, but the subjects I'm hoping to choose clash with each other!

I want to do Physics, Maths and Astronomy. The Physics and Maths are fine, but the Astronomy clashes with everything - what can I do? The other times for Physics and Maths don't help the situation - if I selected them, they'd still clash with the Astronomy times.

What really saddens me is that Chemistry was my back up, but it's the same case as with Astronomy!

What can I do?

Does Astronomy not lecture at 10am, Maths at 11am and Physics at 1pm?
Reply 3
Original post by GermanScientist
Does Astronomy not lecture at 10am, Maths at 11am and Physics at 1pm?

Indeed it does - I changed my entire time choices to find those times which fit.

The enrollment site is rather poorly designed... Wouldn't it be much easier to just select what subjects you want, then the system automatically allocates a suitable timetable for you? Or providing alternative options instead of just saying "there is a confliction"...
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Indeed it does - I changed my entire time choices to find those times which fit.

The enrollment site is rather poorly designed... Wouldn't it be much easier to just select what subjects you want, then the system automatically allocates a suitable timetable for you? Or providing alternative options instead of just saying "there is a confliction"...

I'm afraid that's the only way to do it - sometimes the subjects you want to do mean you need to take times you might not have wanted. What times were you originally taking?

That'd be too complex though. Also, it's so students can choose the times they want as often labs and tutorials are at different times.
I had the same problem but EVENTUALLY i got it to work but now i am very worried i wont have time to get between classes, i read the lectures finish 5 mins before the hour and start 5 mins after but what about labs and tutorials? (especially if they are in different buildings like the Adam Smith and the Boyd Orr).

And it also doesn't help that when i click on "my timetable" it only shows 2 lectures of 2 of my classes...

cheers
Original post by Fast Eddie F
I had the same problem but EVENTUALLY i got it to work but now i am very worried i wont have time to get between classes, i read the lectures finish 5 mins before the hour and start 5 mins after but what about labs and tutorials? (especially if they are in different buildings like the Adam Smith and the Boyd Orr).

And it also doesn't help that when i click on "my timetable" it only shows 2 lectures of 2 of my classes...

cheers

Labs and tutorials are the same so don't worry. Also, the Adam Smith and Boyd Orr aren't too far away anyway :tongue:
Reply 7
I've got the same problem! I really need both first year Sociology courses 'cause I'm interested in joined honors but one of the lectures clashes with a lecture I'm doing with my main course... I'm not sure what to do.
Original post by tobbweb
I've got the same problem! I really need both first year Sociology courses 'cause I'm interested in joined honors but one of the lectures clashes with a lecture I'm doing with my main course... I'm not sure what to do.

Email your advisor. I was having the same issue and mine told me he could override the clash if I could get permission from the lecturer to miss one lecture a week and catch up in my own time. I decided against it because it seemed like a lot of hassle :P but it's definitely possible.
Original post by tobbweb

Usually if joint honours is available with your subjects (you'll need to make sure they are) the timetables shouldn't clash.
Reply 10
To be honest as annoying as clashes are. I don't think an automated system would be good. For one, if you can't schedule your own simple timetable I don't know why you would be at university in the first place.
Reply 11
Original post by Jamin
To be honest as annoying as clashes are. I don't think an automated system would be good. For one, if you can't schedule your own simple timetable I don't know why you would be at university in the first place.

Well going by that logic, quite a few people shouldn't go to university given the amount of issues with clashes and whatnot that's going on, especially on the FB Glasgow admissions page.

This enrollment procedure is new and confusing to some people, me included. Is that a problem?

The automated system could generate a possible schedule given the chosen subjects. Alternative times for lectures/classes - if there are any - could then be displayed if needed. That would save time and effort. I'm sure people are hassling staff at the university over enrollment too (I know I did).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending