The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You guys played great tonight and there were definitely a lot more positives than negatives to take from the game. Cahill and Luiz were sublime, Hazard was simply world-class, and Torres looked sharp up front on more than one occasion. If you play anything like you did tonight during your PL/CL campaigns then you will have a very successful season in my honest opinion. Was good seeing Jose's passion on the touchline however, I think he did make a few mistakes with his late substitutions. Fair enough Terry should have come on for his ability to command the defence and provide leadership at the back however, I felt either Hazard or Torres should have stayed on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5841
Original post by Cable
Yeah, he was good. Let's put it this way:

Hazard, Cahill, Schurrle & Luiz :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Cole :yy:
Cech :yy: (apart from the first goal)

Cole was so good today. They couldn't get past him at all.
Reply 5842
Original post by Dogwithwings
I can't help but think that with the resources and stature that Chelsea have in this era we should be a little more authorative in games. Tonight I have to admit that they were up against the best side in Europe but, this was a great time to play them as they are undergoing a subtle change in their game and they started without Goetze and Martinez, and Schweinsteiger wasn't there at all. Feel that a strong midfielder like makelele or ballaxk is needed in the team.

Agreed. But maybe we should be a bit more patient with Jose.

I think Chelsea should have lined up with a 4-3-3 if they wanted to take the game to Bayern whilst still remaining solid defensively. The 4-3-3 would have helped them match Bayern's midfield better and give them more control of the game.

But it was still a decent performance from Chelsea before Ramires was sent off. After that, I thought Chelsea were brilliant defensively with 10 men and did well to score another goal. Cech also played his part in keeping Chelsea in the game.
Perhaps he should have used Terry-Hazard switch on the 30th minute to slow down the intensity of play and bring Neur back to his base line.
We will only come back with a lot more passion, desire and spirit to succeed. Buying Willian has prooven to be even more stupid. Schurrle was beasting it on the right wing, he is strong, fast, good at holding play, good work rates and defending. To remove Oscar from team after his performance will be very harsh. Sniping Willian from Spurs is a big mistake.
Reply 5844
Original post by jam277
Cole was so good today. They couldn't get past him at all.

Yeah.

Although I'm happy for Pep, I am really gutted for Chelsea.

Hopefully, this gives them the encouragement to make up for tonight by winning the league.
Original post by cleveradam
Perhaps he should have used Terry-Hazard switch on the 30th minute to slow down the intensity of play and bring Neur back to his base line.
We will only come back with a lot more passion, desire and spirit to succeed. Buying Willian has prooven to be even more stupid. Schurrle was beasting it on the right wing, he is strong, fast, good at holding play, good work rates and defending. To remove Oscar from team after his performance will be very harsh. Sniping Willian from Spurs is a big mistake.

Willian is mostly a left winger though.
Reply 5846
The importance of Oscars miss now.

Sigh.
Reply 5847
Original post by pinda.college
You guys played great tonight and there were definitely a lot more positives than negatives to take from the game. Cahill and Luiz were sublime, Hazard was simply world-class, and Torres looked sharp up front on more than once occasion. If you play anything like you did tonight during your PL/CL campaign then you will have a very successful season in my honest opinion. Was good seeing Jose's passion on the touchline however, I think he did make a few mistakes with his late substitutions. Fair enough Terry should have come on for his ability to command the defence and provide some leadership at the back however, I felt either Hazard or Torres should have stayed on.

Hazard should have stayed on, seems like we had no threat on the counter, I think a problem was when we got possession, had we got hazard he'd have driven it to the wings. But eventually we just allowed too much pressure without any outlet. Oh and lukaku needs to improve his ability on the ball
Reply 5848
Big moment in Lukaku's career. Could be the making of him.

Or it could ruin him, lol. Terrible penalty tbf.
Reply 5849
Original post by Tweek
The importance of Oscars miss now.

Sigh.

Yeah lol.

Whenever teams miss opportunities like that, I always know that it's gonna bite them on the arse later on.

I thought tonight might be an exception since you were so close to winning. But Bayern had to equalise and make Chelsea rue missing that chance, didn't they?
Reply 5850
Original post by Isometrix
Haha you know Jose is pissed off:

But still, what could have been. European Champions, Europa League champions, and European Super Cup winners in consecutive seasons. What a pedigree that would have been :moon:

What could have been. If only you could hang on for another minute.

:sigh:
Original post by Cable

30 seconds :sigh:
Original post by jam277
Hazard should have stayed on, seems like we had no threat on the counter, I think a problem was when we got possession, had we got hazard he'd have driven it to the wings. But eventually we just allowed too much pressure without any outlet. Oh and lukaku needs to improve his ability on the ball

Pretty much what I was thinking when I typed my op.
I know we are all pissed especially because we were so close and they were bloody Germans but think about it, it's only the super cup!
Reply 5854
Original post by Enoxial
30 seconds :sigh:

Reply 5855
I didn't give a **** about Madrid spanking us last year.
But this time it hurts.
I'm so disappointed along with everyone else. If we had lost 3 or 4 nil it would have been easier for me to take than this.
Original post by Cable

You show this much sorrow for the loss and you still don't think of yourself as a supporter lol?
Reply 5858
Original post by mattmejevie
I know we are all pissed especially because we were so close and they were bloody Germans but think about it, it's only the super cup!

Slight consolation.

But a trophy is a trophy.

And to lose in the manner you did tonight is really gutting.
Waiting for Assasin's gifs that are always so apt for these kind of occasions.

Latest