The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilmissshady
ulquiorra is an anime character

yeah you mentioned that before lol..sounds very cool :biggrin: we've got civil (mostly), mechanical and electrical engineers in my household lol no medics at all! :eek:

Maths is very hard yes :frown:

ooh btw my wedding's defo going to be mixed, though I'd prefer it segregated...but as long as there's good food and music I don't give a **** :bunny:
We had gajjar halwa (gajar=carrot) in the last family wedding...man it were good :sogood: we also had jalebi and apple pie :wink:

Oh I see. Not bad, lots of physical work though. I need to get myself a jacket and I wonder if I can claim for trousers on expenses, due to kneeling down a LOT, though I guess all this manual work is pretty good exercise. After a while, you get used to the temperature changes (You lift a floor tile and it's really really cold) And then it can be really warm when you stand up. Thirsty work as well, not because it's strenuous but because of the noise, you talk a bit louder, and because of the cold, your mouth dries out

And your eyes dry out, so I've been wearing some (optional) specs goggles

One of the tile lifter is pretty scary. It's used to lift carpet. This thing:

Fortunately, they're slowly getting rid of the carpet tiles. They're annoying to pick up

Then we have something like this:

Which we use when there's little space. Normally we use something like this:

My manager however is like a machine, and because he's tall, it means he can kneel around tiles where I can't ie: one knee on one side of the tile, and one on another, and then we have to "knit" :biggrin:

And a couple of days we had FOUR 15 meter fibre cables fail. That's a lot, especially considering the length. Four 2m cables isn't bad, but 15 meters gets pricey. We use this thing to test:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/network-testers-certifiers/1293-fluke-dtx-1800-cableanalyzer.html

Ours cost around 10K. And every single time we get it out, we put it back basically as new, purely because it costs so much lol

That being said, we saw a switch, that was marked as "old", and it was introduced in 1999. That still retails for around 27K

That being said, I really appreciate what happens in data centres around the world now, purely because of the amount of effort needed, with pre-implementation, planning, implementation (and getting lucky), just to move two switches to different racks for 48 hours

Also, I promised pics of the house before so here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g4zr6syuw249x3z/tfdS8sQ_g7?m

Though I need to try and get my friend to contribute to the house cleaning....

Like he's gone home atm, but someone's coming tomorrow (supposedly) to fix our boiler, and I've cleaned the house since we moved in, and now he's gone home....

I mean the house should be clean any way, but it's kinda "worse" when people come...

Isn't gajjar halwa basically gajrella? Jalebi and apple pie. Interesting

Original post by MsFahima
Hello! Well, my family (and me) have an obsession with Pakistani Dramas (although we're indian) Just love the Urdu! :biggrin:

Do any of you watch Pakistani Dramas?

I do sometimes when I'm home I guess, but not that much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5281
Original post by Lil08
Hi.

how r u

Original post by de_monies

Tbh, I'd prefer it mixed, but I know it'd be segregated :angry:

I don't think many people (especially students) really care tbh

Halwa/icecream. Need to try that

Who?

May sound like bragging but my job title does say "engineer" in it :biggrin:

Maths is also hard....

Heya. How you feeling?

i dno
Oh I see. Not bad, lots of physical work though. I need to get myself a jacket and I wonder if I can claim for trousers on expenses, due to kneeling down a LOT, though I guess all this manual work is pretty good exercise. After a while, you get used to the temperature changes (You lift a floor tile and it's really really cold) And then it can be really warm when you stand up. Thirsty work as well, not because it's strenuous but because of the noise, you talk a bit louder, and because of the cold, your mouth dries out

And your eyes dry out, so I've been wearing some (optional) specs goggles

One of the tile lifter is pretty scary. It's used to lift carpet. This thing:

Fortunately, they're slowly getting rid of the carpet tiles. They're annoying to pick up

Then we have something like this:

Which we use when there's little space. Normally we use something like this:

My manager however is like a machine, and because he's tall, it means he can kneel around tiles where I can't ie: one knee on one side of the tile, and one on another, and then we have to "knit" :biggrin:

And a couple of days we had FOUR 15 meter fibre cables fail. That's a lot, especially considering the length. Four 2m cables isn't bad, but 15 meters gets pricey. We use this thing to test:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/network-testers-certifiers/1293-fluke-dtx-1800-cableanalyzer.html

Ours cost around 10K. And every single time we get it out, we put it back basically as new, purely because it costs so much lol

That being said, we saw a switch, that was marked as "old", and it was introduced in 1999. That still retails for around 27K

That being said, I really appreciate what happens in data centres around the world now, purely because of the amount of effort needed, with pre-implementation, planning, implementation (and getting lucky), just to move two switches to different racks for 48 hours

Also, I promised pics of the house before so here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g4zr6syuw249x3z/tfdS8sQ_g7?m

Though I need to try and get my friend to contribute to the house cleaning....

Like he's gone home atm, but someone's coming tomorrow (supposedly) to fix our boiler, and I've cleaned the house since we moved in, and now he's gone home....

I mean the house should be clean any way, but it's kinda "worse" when people come...

Isn't gajjar halwa basically gajrella? Jalebi and apple pie. Interesting

I do sometimes when I'm home I guess, but not that much.

Your job sounds so cool! But I don't understand why you need to lift the tiles?
Oh and let me know if the have any vacancies...put in a good word for me :wink: lol

ok the place looks very clean! I wasn't expecting it to be that clean lol love the ironing board :biggrin: and the kitchen windows got a nice view too lol would be even better if you got a gori neighbour living there lol

So you're doing all the chores now...joys of having roommates :sigh:

Thought only we called it gajjerella lol yeah that's it
(edited 10 years ago)
Had a lonnnnnnnng chat with sahdia13 just now, haven't laughed so much in ages lol!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Tbh, I'd prefer it mixed, but I know it'd be segregated :angry:

I don't think many people (especially students) really care tbh

Halwa/icecream. Need to try that

Who?

May sound like bragging but my job title does say "engineer" in it :biggrin:

Maths is also hard....

Heya. How you feeling?

All I require are your bank account details and sort code and my cousin bansin can wire you de monies directly
Reply 5285
Early bird catches the worm. Wake up ya lazy pakiz.
Hi
Reply 5287
Original post by Blackshadow
Hi

Go bed, you clown.
Original post by Lil08
Go bed, you clown.

I am in bed, you numpty.
Original post by Lil08
Early bird catches the worm. Wake up ya lazy pakiz.

I'll probs get up in an hour or so
Original post by Blackshadow
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Your job sounds so cool! But I don't understand why you need to lift the tiles?

Its not bad. I like to be up and about rather than sitting at a desk doing low level work. I'm happy if its technical work but if its low level work is: auditing, then that can get boring. Also confusing considering the size of the spreadsheet

We lift tiles because we either lay down cables or we remove them. If you're any where near the core switches it gets incredibly fiddly to trace the cables in order to pull the right ones out

You have to be pretty good with your fingers removing cables I guess and putting cables in, last time we cheated a bit. We pushed the cables through some trunking "knitting" under the tiles and through to a rack

We knit under all the other cables or try to because in theory whatever goes in first comes out first (not always the case)

And we often remove cables that are dangling in the data centre because well it cleans things up and any grey cables I find I get to keep :biggrin:

And you have to be pretty careful with the fibre cables because they've got glass in them

Oh and let me know if the have any vacancies...put in a good word for me :wink: lol

Lol you'd still have to apply! And you'd kinda need the knowledge as well if you have that?

I didn't originally apply for this job. I originally applied to another department and they told me I were better suited for this

ok the place looks very clean! I wasn't expecting it to be that clean

Really? Why not?

lol love the ironing board :biggrin: and the kitchen windows got a nice view too lol would be even better if you got a gori neighbour living there lol

Well clothes don't iron themselves :tongue:

And one person working at the company (a gori) is a next door neighbour (kinda) Directly next to us is an old man

And the view is pretty nice outside of the balcony ie: you can see the canals.

Its not a bad place, except that the lounge is my bedroom because the second bedroom is tiny. I'd be happy if they had an Asda here lol. Let's put it in to perspective how expensive Co Op is. I bought some Powerade from Co-op for £1.40

At the vending machines in the gym any drink costs £1.30

I'd get it from the vending machines but they didn't have Powerade (I like the design of the bottle)

It's only a 10p difference but my point is that vending machines tend to be overpriced and Co-Op was more expensive than a vending machine...

So you're doing all the chores now...joys of having roommates :sigh:

Thought only we called it gajjerella lol yeah that's it

Yup and yup. Though at least I have someone to share rent with

Like I know a guy who has a one bedroom place and he pays £400/month, a girl who has a 2 bedroom unfurnished place who pays £490/month and then there's me and my friend who have this 2 bedroom unfurnished flat for £500/month

So in that sense we did well. Though if the company told us about that guy and that girl then maybe wed all be living in a four bedroom house or at least a three bedroom house at a cheaper cost. The guy is also Asian (Indian)

And maybe its a Mirpuri thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5291
Is there any prospective maths student or maths students in this forum?
Reply 5292
Had a lonnnnnnnng chat with sahdia13 just now, haven't laughed so much in ages lol!!

Lol haha
Good times :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5293
Original post by shahidk1
Is there any prospective maths student or maths students in this forum?

I studied Maths in GCSE, if that counts.
Its not bad. I like to be up and about rather than sitting at a desk doing low level work. I'm happy if its technical work but if its low level work is: auditing, then that can get boring. Also confusing considering the size of the spreadsheet

We lift tiles because we either lay down cables or we remove them. If you're any where near the core switches it gets incredibly fiddly to trace the cables in order to pull the right ones out

You have to be pretty good with your fingers removing cables I guess and putting cables in, last time we cheated a bit. We pushed the cables through some trunking "knitting" under the tiles and through to a rack

We knit under all the other cables or try to because in theory whatever goes in first comes out first (not always the case)

And we often remove cables that are dangling in the data centre because well it cleans things up and any grey cables I find I get to keep :biggrin:

And you have to be pretty careful with the fibre cables because they've got glass in them

Lol you'd still have to apply! And you'd kinda need the knowledge as well if you have that?

I didn't originally apply for this job. I originally applied to another department and they told me I were better suited for this

Really? Why not?

Well clothes don't iron themselves :tongue:

And one person working at the company (a gori) is a next door neighbour (kinda) Directly next to us is an old man

And the view is pretty nice outside of the balcony ie: you can see the canals.

Its not a bad place, except that the lounge is my bedroom because the second bedroom is tiny. I'd be happy if they had an Asda here lol. Let's put it in to perspective how expensive Co Op is. I bought some Powerade from Co-op for £1.40

At the vending machines in the gym any drink costs £1.30

I'd get it from the vending machines but they didn't have Powerade (I like the design of the bottle)

It's only a 10p difference but my point is that vending machines tend to be overpriced and Co-Op was more expensive than a vending machine...

Yup and yup. Though at least I have someone to share rent with

Like I know a guy who has a one bedroom place and he pays £400/month, a girl who has a 2 bedroom unfurnished place who pays £490/month and then there's me and my friend who have this 2 bedroom unfurnished flat for £500/month

So in that sense we did well. Though if the company told us about that guy and that girl then maybe wed all be living in a four bedroom house or at least a three bedroom house at a cheaper cost. The guy is also Asian (Indian)

And maybe its a Mirpuri thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, still seems pretty interesting...it's like rush hour 2 lol you gotta cut the right cable or it's boom! No second chances Lol

Hmmm I guess guys tend to be messier lol

Oh how come I don't see a pic of that gori :frown: show me now!

Wasn't he from Peshawar? Lol?

Yeah, it's mirpuri for sure..
Original post by sahdia13
Lol haha
Good times :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You forgot to add 'abba ji' :'(
loooool
Oh I see, still seems pretty interesting...it's like rush hour 2 lol you gotta cut the right cable or it's boom! No second chances Lol

Kinda I guess. Like if you take the wrong thing down, we'd have the French and the Germans shouting at us (again)

Hmmm I guess guys tend to be messier lol
Tbf, I think it does need a bit of cleaning up now as well. Not much but does need some tidying up

Oh how come I don't see a pic of that gori :frown: show me now!

Because it'd be a tad creepy if I were to randomly take a pic of her :biggrin: I haven't even taken a pic of my friend that lives with me

Wasn't he from Peshawar? Lol?

Yup. He was born there as well. Though sometimes I think his mindset is stuck in Peshawar

If I were to work here in the future, I wouldn't live here that's for sure. That being said, the Co-Op has elephant atta, and in the entire town, I think there'd probably be about three people who'd buy it (Two when you consider that we don't use elephant atta at home), and it's not your little packs, that English people might get to make roti's as a one off, but it's the big 10Kg packs. Who the hell is going to buy it?

That being said, the gym is pretty cheap (If you're a student) and when I got my car serviced yesterday, I dropped it off at 8am and walked up to work (half an hour) It were ready for lunch, and I finish at half 5. They close at 5. They offered to pick me up, and they said when I needed my MOT doing, or when I come back for them to do a test on my engine (the light was on),then I could park the car at 8:15, and they'd get me to work for 8:30 (They'd be driving my own car, but still)

So that's not bad I guess
freshie yarrrrrrrr :PPPP
Original post by kitty_toxic
freshie yarrrrrrrr :PPPP

Sorry? Also, hi
well yar is a normal word for desis
hmmmm i thought you would know.....

Latest

Trending

Trending