The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Awesome news guys , what an awful two weeks you have had . Wonder why things changed so suddenly :wink:
Reply 141
Original post by Minerva
I am SO pleased to read this! Having seen the recent posts in this thread I did wonder whether you might have had some good news too, and it's great to see that you did. Many, many congratulations to your daughter - and to you, for keeping faith.

Thank you we were very happy indeed but were still pinching ourselves. They rung about 8.30pm Thursday daughter still in Zante on her first Girly holiday away I had to get them to email me to confirm before I rung her she was so happy. Its an awful process and I see how sometimes there is movement with people making other choices but the actual clearing process at Durham is very complex and difficult but heh who dares wins now she's there. We do our best for our kids and I couldn't believe this had happened but we also learn from the experience and hopefully this thread next year will teach people to ring, get names ask admissions to get Student admissions to confirm first before you let your place go in UCAS :o:p
Original post by jandanjan
the actual clearing process at Durham is very complex and difficult

it is hard to believe that either they or UCAS will let it develop like this next year.
Original post by nulli tertius
it is hard to believe that either they or UCAS will let it develop like this next year.

We live in hope, rather than expectation. Congratulations to everyone who got in! I know it's not over until the fat lady sings, but she must have been practically on her final note this time. What a performance.
Hi Everyone, just to add to the mix as well, my son has also been made an offer at Durham.
Original post by rowena7338
Hi Everyone, just to add to the mix as well, my son has also been made an offer at Durham.

Yay! That's fantastic! Does that make everyone on this thread, then?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yay! That's fantastic! Does that make everyone on this thread, then?

Yes I think so. How strange, what a complete nightmare this has been. However, good outcome. Just waiting for Durham to allocate college, until this is done we are unsure of what to buy or of costs etc. Also the department needs to get back with reading material etc. So absolutely fantastic news, but still in somewhat of a limbo situation.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
We live in hope, rather than expectation. Congratulations to everyone who got in! I know it's not over until the fat lady sings, but she must have been practically on her final note this time. What a performance.

Congratulations.

I wonder if your MP's letter caused the Vice-Chancellor to descend to Durham's metaphorical coal face to impose some order on this process. Admissions tutors may see no further than this year's cohort. Vice-chancellors are more likely to see this in terms of potential reputational damage.

I suspect that he won't be too happy about the total number of places in clearing either given the number of applicants Durham rejected earlier in the year.
Reply 148
My apologies if this has already been answered/is on another part of the website but I am having trouble finding the information - did Durham have clearing places for Theology for UK students?

Cheers
Do Durham enter adjustment for Physics?

I'm guessing not but what the hell
We do our best for our kids and I couldn't believe this had happened but we also learn from the experience and hopefully this thread next year will teach people to ring, get names ask admissions to get Student admissions to confirm first before you let your place go in UCAS :o:p

Congrats to everyone for finally getting there! On the subject of being persistent, I have a similar story about Cambridge (I know this is Durham but thought might be of interest to UCAS/advisor people plus also has happy ending!)
My friend's child applied for an artsy subject for Cam for 2013 and was given fiendish offer of 2A* in specified subjects via winter pool. Child got A* in non-specifed subject and two near-misses. Not picked up in summer pool. Remark came back and one subject had gone up to comfortable A* (!). School said they tried to plead with college but the relevant prof was away, nothing they could do. Child all set to go to insurance. Parent then had phonecall with college AT who promised to look into it, and late last week UCAS status changed from insurance back to Cam!
Original post by SR781
My apologies if this has already been answered/is on another part of the website but I am having trouble finding the information - did Durham have clearing places for Theology for UK students?

Cheers
Sorry have no idea what they had, but also have no idea on what process or procedures they follow if any.
Thank you we were very happy indeed but were still pinching ourselves. They rung about 8.30pm Thursday daughter still in Zante on her first Girly holiday away I had to get them to email me to confirm before I rung her she was so happy. Its an awful process and I see how sometimes there is movement with people making other choices but the actual clearing process at Durham is very complex and difficult but heh who dares wins now she's there. We do our best for our kids and I couldn't believe this had happened but we also learn from the experience and hopefully this thread next year will teach people to ring, get names ask admissions to get Student admissions to confirm first before you let your place go in UCAS :o:p

Hi really pleased for your daughter and you. Have you had any indication what college/halls your daughter may be in?
Original post by SR781

Cheers

They still do, according to UCAS course search :smile:

Original post by physicso
Do Durham enter adjustment for Physics?

I'm guessing not but what the hell

Same goes for physics- UCAS course search shows that there are still places in clearing 2013 for physics

x

x

Congrats to everyone who has just got a place- jandanjan and rowena, I'm glad you've got it sorted :smile:

This is really weird- when I checked last week they had fewer than 40 courses left in clearing according to UCAS, now it's gone back up to 150... Wonder what's up with that?
Original post by emma2013
They still do, according to UCAS course search :smile:

Same goes for physics- UCAS course search shows that there are still places in clearing 2013 for physics

Congrats to everyone who has just got a place- jandanjan and rowena, I'm glad you've got it sorted :smile:

This is really weird- when I checked last week they had fewer than 40 courses left in clearing according to UCAS, now it's gone back up to 150... Wonder what's up with that?

All only open to 'outside eu'
Reply 155
This is the Telegraph list as well ,
http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Institution=D86

Not sure if this has had any changes made to it since results day , or who clearing was open to . Nothing i could find on Durhams website tho except places for international students . More searching could reveal something else tho .

Glad it was sorted out in the end for everyone concerned .
(edited 10 years ago)
All only open to 'outside eu'

Nope if you look in the box below, it says open in clearing to all applicant from UK as well :smile:

There are two separate boxes, one for the original applications, and one for 'later applications'- clearing and adjustment come under the latter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 157
Many grats to those who have come through this nightmare, no prospective student (or family) deserves that stress :smile:.

I got to wondering if Durham, amongst other places, are trying to stuff their courses full of students via adjustment, clearing and otherwise because of the ABB rule? There will always be some people who drop out after the start of semester and maybe they're banking on that to leave a reasonable and yet still high cohort?

Do you reckon this is primarily funding led?
Original post by emma2013
Nope if you look in the box below, it says open in clearing to all applicant from UK as well :smile:

There are two separate boxes, one for the original applications, and one for 'later applications'- clearing and adjustment come under the latter.

Oh ok, wow i'm suprised Physics is in clearing!

It's a shot in the dark but i don't know if you know if Manchester enters adjustment for physics?
Oh ok, wow i'm suprised Physics is in clearing!

It's a shot in the dark but i don't know if you know if Manchester enters adjustment for physics?

If you mean for this year, the 5 day window is long past. If you mean for next year, even they won't know that yet. Sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending