The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SciFiRory
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/31/chelsea-jose-mourinho-conspiracy

just imagine the abuse we would get if this had been Sir Alex...

Not even, english media loved fergie the same way they love mourinho. If moyes said it hell would break loose but not if SAF said it. Mourinho says it all the time and he got some hefty ban for it when he said it when pepe got red carded vs barca. He'll probably get ignored or get a warning for the comments
Reply 9201
De Rossi or felleni ... Iknow felleni is less known but he could cause more of an arial threat .. But i do have an incline that moyes will make a deadline signing ...... ROSS barkley will become a great he has technique and composure like a young spaniard sooo goood
Reply 9202
FOOTBALLFOCUSSTAT : bails has created 5x more chances than evra ?!
Reply 9203
Valuation of Kaka ?! Yay or Nay
Reply 9204
Herrera is a panic buy by the seems of it, I've barely seen him play & he has never played for the NT, how much better is he than Clev & Anderson & like someone has said Munich & Madrid are bound to have some unhappy players this season & thats when we should pounce, maybe Moyes is worried about his job security if he doesn't sign a midfielder (never been in this position before). De Rossi would be the best signing we could make however, yes has just become 30 but Pirlo & Xavi peaked were the best midfielders in the world at 32.
Reply 9205
It doesnt make sense we should have bought the 20 yr old Kondogbia , soo much potential and technical at his age now we went to monaco for 20 mil .. We missed out
Reply 9206
Original post by rohitbd
Herrera is a panic buy by the seems of it, I've barely seen him play & he has never played for the NT

To be fair, you shouldn't read too much into not being able to get in the Spanish national team, especially when we're talking about a midfielder.
Guillem Balague (remember him?) says 'the conversations for Herrera have stopped' and that we think '36m euro's is too much to pay'. I hope it's true because I still can't bare how little Thiago went for...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Running out of time to get Fellaini. I think now, for the first time in the window, it's feasible that you end up with no new additions. The twitter ****storm is brewing...
Original post by Straight up G
Running out of time to get Fellaini. I think now, for the first time in the window, it's feasible that you end up with no new additions. The twitter ****storm is brewing...
We got Varela this window. There will be a bit of a storm because Moyes needed to bring in one player, a midfielder. We wasted most of the summer, then missed Fellaini's buyout clause. Its embarrassing mismanagement tbh. He should have hit Fellaini's buyout clause instantly, then pursued Fabregas or other targets.
Don't believe we need too much, listen - we've been very good recently and haven't even used Kagawa. Too good to sit on our bench.
Original post by doggyfizzel
We got Varela this window. There will be a bit of a storm because Moyes needed to bring in one player, a midfielder. We wasted most of the summer, then missed Fellaini's buyout clause. Its embarrassing mismanagement tbh. He should have hit Fellaini's buyout clause instantly, then pursued Fabregas or other targets.

Is Varela not youth player?

Honestly, I don't know if Fellaini would be the right player for you, I don't rate him too much when he's playing deeper and there's no way he'll be pushed up the field if he plays for you, Carrick and your defence would be more exposed than that Slane slut girl haha. At this stage, it's probably better to have Fellaini than not to have him, but he wouldn't be a roaring success imo.

You guys are pretty well stacked in all positions, you look very very strong up front, decent in midfield once you get Fellaini and pretty good in defence as well. On paper it all looks good, but for the first time, I think you're weaker on the pitch than you are on paper. I don't know what it is, but my gut just doesn't back you anymore for some reason.
Original post by Straight up G
Is Varela not youth player?
Yeah, he's not really a relevant player, and is going on loan, but I mean the club will talk about the young players in the team and how we have brought in a younger player. Spin it that we are investing in youth rather than a failed window.

Honestly, I don't know if Fellaini would be the right player for you, I don't rate him too much when he's playing deeper and there's no way he'll be pushed up the field if he plays for you, Carrick and your defence would be more exposed than that Slane slut girl haha. At this stage, it's probably better to have Fellaini than not to have him, but he wouldn't be a roaring success imo.
I don't really rate him that highly, but he's as good as the likes of Fernandinho or Paulinho, hardly a Schweinsteiger or Alonso but good enough to do the business domestically. I'd imagine we'd use him box to box, and he's certainly a step up from Cleverly or Anderson.

You guys are pretty well stacked in all positions, you look very very strong up front, decent in midfield once you get Fellaini and pretty good in defence as well. On paper it all looks good, but for the first time, I think you're weaker on the pitch than you are on paper. I don't know what it is, but my gut just doesn't back you anymore for some reason.
I think we only really need one midfielder, either someone who will offer defensive protection or the equivalent through possession. I think we'll be fine tbh, the only team I feel is better is City, Chelsea for me are equal, but Pellegrini really isn't getting the most out of them atm. I still think we'll put in a title challenge, but until we fix midfield we are going to struggle in the big games against the likes of City and massively against the big guns of Europe.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Yeah, he's not really a relevant player, and is going on loan, but I mean the club will talk about the young players in the team and how we have brought in a younger player. Spin it that we are investing in youth rather than a failed window.

I don't really rate him that highly, but he's as good as the likes of Fernandinho or Paulinho, hardly a Schweinsteiger or Alonso but good enough to do the business domestically. I'd imagine we'd use him box to box, and he's certainly a step up from Cleverly or Anderson.

I think we only really need one midfielder, either someone who will offer defensive protection or the equivalent through possession. I think we'll be fine tbh, the only team I feel is better is City, Chelsea for me are equal, but Pellegrini really isn't getting the most out of them atm. I still think we'll put in a title challenge, but until we fix midfield we are going to struggle in the big games against the likes of City and massively against the big guns of Europe.

Chelski finished 14 points behind us last season. In what way are we equal to them?
Reply 9214
People always forget that we play well throughout the season and we keep our form up. Wait till after Christmas, Chelsea and City won't put in amazing performances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't wait for the transfer window to close so we can get on with the football. The era of big spending, social media, fantasy football and Football Manager/FIFA etc has created a generation of people who think buying players is guaranteed to win you trophies and that not buying them is the end of the world.

Our squad won the Premier League last year by 11 points. Our rivals were MILES behind us last year and have strengthened slightly but for the most part have overspent for players that are good but not great. There are no all-time great squads in English football right now but we're the best of a mediocre bunch, signings or no signings.
If we buy Herrera and Fellaini this window I'd be happy, would be a step down from the players we were linked with this summer but would improve our midfield massively and give Carrick much needed support in the middle.
Original post by IanDangerously
I can't wait for the transfer window to close so we can get on with the football. The era of big spending, social media, fantasy football and Football Manager/FIFA etc has created a generation of people who think buying players is guaranteed to win you trophies and that not buying them is the end of the world.

Our squad won the Premier League last year by 11 points. Our rivals were MILES behind us last year and have strengthened slightly but for the most part have overspent for players that are good but not great. There are no all-time great squads in English football right now but we're the best of a mediocre bunch, signings or no signings.

This.
Original post by Dogwithwings
Chelski finished 14 points behind us last season. In what way are we equal to them?
Do you think Benitez/Di Matteo got the most out of that team? By the measure of simple points the manager plays no part. I think Jose will get a lot more out of that side quite simply.
Original post by IanDangerously

Arsenal said the exact same thing in 2004 and had the same team and we know what happened the next season. Take it this way, City had the same team as the last season yet got 11 points less than they got last season. While you guys strengthened with van persie yet got the same points total as the last season.

Teams need to evolve at the top in such a league like this.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest