The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophhiee
Ahhh this thread :biggrin:

My username is eyreheathcliff (if i remember rightly..) if you wish to add me :smile: I have some pretty generic lists at the moment but the library near me has been under refurbishment and I'm stingy when it comes to buying books I don't know much about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea how to find you! I tried searching your username but it doesn't come up. :erm: You can add me, if you want? :smile:

Original post by manic_fuzz
I do :yep: I only have a few friends who use it... although one of them is a linguist who seems to read more books than I thought possible so my account just feels inferior in comparison :lol:

:awesome: Another medic!
Original post by Mr Porter
I have no idea how to find you! I tried searching your username but it doesn't come up. :erm: You can add me, if you want? :smile:

Maybe I didn't remember my username rightly then :tongue:
I added you anyway! My to-read shelf is much more interesting than my read shelf... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yesterday, I have read an excerpt from Charlote Bronte's novel Jane Eyre. In this excerpt the town Millcote is mentioned. But as foreigner who don't live in Great Britain I wonder whether the town exists or its just a fictional one. When I googled it I can't locate the town...
Reply 6923
I've started using Goodreads more now, especially since my booklist has been growing steadily..

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6155801-gunjan

I also just finished American Gods. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.. I really liked the story behind it, but didn't feel very satisfied with the way it turned out.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy now. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6924
Is anyone doing the 2013 Reading Challenge on Goodreads? I've set mine at 60, after only getting 54/100 last year. Currently 10 books behind schedule, but I remain optimistic!
Original post by Angury
x

I've added you as well :yep:

Original post by knope
Is anyone doing the 2013 Reading Challenge on Goodreads? I've set mine at 60, after only getting 54/100 last year. Currently 10 books behind schedule, but I remain optimistic!

I might have set mine at 1 book just to have ensured that I definitely reached it... not quite the definition of challenge but hey-ho :lol:
Reply 6926
Has anyone read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold? I thought the plot sounded very interesting, but it's received some pretty awful reviews on Goodreads.
Original post by Kallisto
Yesterday, I have read an excerpt from Charlote Bronte's novel Jane Eyre. In this excerpt the town Millcote is mentioned. But as foreigner who don't live in Great Britain I wonder whether the town exists or its just a fictional one. When I googled it I can't locate the town...

Fictional.
Has anyone read much of Hermann Hesse? I'm reading Steppenwolf at the moment, pacing myself with it so I have time to think it over. Always find Hesse's ability to draw you in to these philosophical discussions amazing, although I wish I didn't have to read in translation.
Reply 6929
Original post by SixteenHundred
Has anyone read much of Hermann Hesse? I'm reading Steppenwolf at the moment, pacing myself with it so I have time to think it over. Always find Hesse's ability to draw you in to these philosophical discussions amazing, although I wish I didn't have to read in translation.

Siddhartha is very high on my to-read list. :yep:

I've recently read some more Lu Hsun - Medicine and A Madman's Diary - and will begin to read some short stories based in China very soon. :holmes:
Original post by KingMessi
Fictional.

Thanks for answer. I'm not surprised anymore why I didn't find this town on a map.
Original post by Angury
I've started using Goodreads more now, especially since my booklist has been growing steadily..

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6155801-gunjan

I also just finished American Gods. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.. I really liked the story behind it, but didn't feel very satisfied with the way it turned out.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy now. :biggrin:

Neil Gaiman can be a little like that; sometimes he doesn't sustain his ideas throughout a novel. I actually disagree on American Gods as it happens, though, but if you want to read something along the same lines with a slightly more focussed plot try Anansi Boys. :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 6932
Neil Gaiman can be a little like that; sometimes he doesn't sustain his ideas throughout a novel. I actually disagree on American Gods as it happens, though, but if you want to read something along the same lines with a slightly more focussed plot try Anansi Boys. :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not sure if I should try another one of Gaiman's books.. I loved the commencement speech he gave, and his interviews are always enjoyable to watch.
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Not sure if I should try another one of Gaiman's books.. I loved the commencement speech he gave, and his interviews are always enjoyable to watch.

I've read all of his novels for adults and a few of his young adult ones and would recommend Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods, and Coraline to anyone (Neverwhere also has a great Radio 4 adaptation which just aired with a fantastic cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer, Bernard Cribbins and James McAvoy). If you like Terry Pratchett or just want something to tone down the Gaiman-ness then Good Omens is great as it's a collaboration, and it's got a good mix of humour with the fantasy elements. Nowhere near as heady as American Gods and never aspires to be, but fun for a light read! Sorry to be so enthusiastic, hardly anyone I know has read anything of Gaiman's so I'm keen to talk about his books. :colondollar:

Good luck with The Road btw, it's miserable but beautifully written from what I've read of it!
Reply 6934
I've read all of his novels for adults and a few of his young adult ones and would recommend Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods, and Coraline to anyone (Neverwhere also has a great Radio 4 adaptation which just aired with a fantastic cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer, Bernard Cribbins and James McAvoy). If you like Terry Pratchett or just want something to tone down the Gaiman-ness then Good Omens is great as it's a collaboration, and it's got a good mix of humour with the fantasy elements. Nowhere near as heady as American Gods and never aspires to be, but fun for a light read! Sorry to be so enthusiastic, hardly anyone I know has read anything of Gaiman's so I'm keen to talk about his books. :colondollar:

Good luck with The Road btw, it's miserable but beautifully written from what I've read of it!

Ah yes, that reminds me I need to read some Terry Pratchett's Disc World series books. I read a Colour of Magic, but I've been told to read Mort or Going Postal which are supposed to be better. Thanks for the recommendations - will need to add them to my four page book list. :tongue:

I really liked The Road. It was very simple, but the writing and the relationship between father and child was really well done.

Original post by Abiraleft
A Madman's Diary - and will begin to read some short stories based in China very soon. :holmes:

I just looked this up, looks like a very interesting read. Will definitely put it at the top of my book list. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by knope

I haven't heard of this before. Could you explain what it is?
Just finished Steppenwolf. Wow, that was an odd but intense read. It's so heady and surprisingly emotionally involving (although I was reminded of Chapter 11 of Dorian Gray during Harry's experience in the Magic Theatre, hehe). Would definitely recommend but I'm going to have to reread to pick up on some of the ideas properly.

Not sure what to read now. I should read some poetry as I'm applying for English and I'm weak on it outside of the syllabus, and I've been meaning to pick up some Byron for a while now since I read Darkness for my coursework, any suggestions where to start on Amazon? A collection of all the Big Six Romantics would be nice actually.
Original post by Decerto

Goodreads is a site where you can list and 'bookshelf' down the books you're reading/have read/want to read; you can also write reviews for them, get recommendations and join various lit communities. They have a 'reading challenge' which means you put down how many books you want to read, say 50, and it sees how much you have to go. (I'm 15% ahead! :awesome:) But mainly I use Goodreads to keep track of my books and my thoughts about them. It's good, I would give it a go.

Just finished Steppenwolf. Wow, that was an odd but intense read. It's so heady and surprisingly emotionally involving (although I was reminded of Chapter 11 of Dorian Gray during Harry's experience in the Magic Theatre, hehe). Would definitely recommend but I'm going to have to reread to pick up on some of the ideas properly.

Not sure what to read now. I should read some poetry as I'm applying for English and I'm weak on it outside of the syllabus, and I've been meaning to pick up some Byron for a while now since I read Darkness for my coursework, any suggestions where to start on Amazon? A collection of all the Big Six Romantics would be nice actually.

Don Juan is Byron's most lauded 'epic satire' if I'm not mistaken. But to be honest, as a poetry fan, I would really suggest reading away from old, white men. They're so dead (and overdone). :tongue:
Reply 6938
Original post by Decerto

Mr Porter explained it well - here's a link for the ongoing one, where you can sign up if you're on Goodreads. :smile:
Original post by Mr Porter
Goodreads is a site where you can list and 'bookshelf' down the books you're reading/have read/want to read; you can also write reviews for them, get recommendations and join various lit communities. They have a 'reading challenge' which means you put down how many books you want to read, say 50, and it sees how much you have to go. (I'm 15% ahead! :awesome:) But mainly I use Goodreads to keep track of my books and my thoughts about them. It's good, I would give it a go.

Don Juan is Byron's most lauded 'epic satire' if I'm not mistaken. But to be honest, as a poetry fan, I would really suggest reading away from old, white men. They're so dead (and overdone). :tongue:

Original post by knope
Mr Porter explained it well - here's a link for the ongoing one, where you can sign up if you're on Goodreads. :smile:

It sounds good. I think I will try it out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending