The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peanut
I'm a 5'3 female, 20 in 2 weeks (so fairly similar to you) and about 56kg. I did 2km in 9 minutes flat tonight on the erg on resistance 4. The quickest i've done 5km is 23.30 (resistance 10) but i probably had more in the tank if i had pushed myself further. I'm joining the boat club at uni when I get back next next month. I would preferably like to row in an 8+ if they have a place for me.
I don't really know if those times are any good as I have no benchmark as what I should be hitting. Any advice now you know a little more?
Thank you x

At 56kg you'll definitely be classed as a lightweight, as whilst it's a slightly fluid term it generally means the crew average must be below 60kg excluding the cox so if your uni enters lightweight categories that may well be the one for you. 9 minutes certainly isn't a bad time, particularly for a complete beginner as I'm sure that your time will improve simply with your technique which you'll be able to achieve through coaching when you're there. I currently cox at an Oxbridge college, and I think that our Women's First Boat all had sub 8 minute 2ks and our second boat was 8 minute something or 9 minute something. To trial for the university they do take into account your weight and factor that into the 2k time they would expect you to achieve. I don't know a huge amount about 5k times as my boat club tend to focus testing on 2k times.

When approaching a 2k (or indeed a 5k) do your best to even split the whole way - so if you've just pulled a 9 minute 2k that would put you at a 2:15 500m split, perhaps try and hold a 2:13 or 2:14 the whole way next time. It's so so so much easier, and more efficient on the water, to even split the whole way - I imagine you wouldn't have much trouble holding a 2:00 split (or lower) for the first 500m, but you may find you struggle later and your middle 500m is more like 2:30. It would be better to settle at around 2:15 and stay there the whole way, possibly with a sprint in the last 100-200m if there's anything left in the tank. Try working down off one or two seconds from your 500m split each time to find what your actual limits are. Also, doing 2k after 2k isn't going to be the best training technique, try to mix it up a bit with different distances, or rates. When you're at uni I'm sure that you'll be given a training plan as to what to do though! Again, with rate in a 2k you want to make sure that (after the first few strokes) you settle at a sensible and sustainable rate, probably in the region of 30-36, but you'll just have to determine for yourself what's best!

I hope that helps a bit!!!
Reply 1221
Original post by Becca :)
At 56kg you'll definitely be classed as a lightweight, as whilst it's a slightly fluid term it generally means the crew average must be below 60kg excluding the cox so if your uni enters lightweight categories that may well be the one for you. 9 minutes certainly isn't a bad time, particularly for a complete beginner as I'm sure that your time will improve simply with your technique which you'll be able to achieve through coaching when you're there. I currently cox at an Oxbridge college, and I think that our Women's First Boat all had sub 8 minute 2ks and our second boat was 8 minute something or 9 minute something. To trial for the university they do take into account your weight and factor that into the 2k time they would expect you to achieve. I don't know a huge amount about 5k times as my boat club tend to focus testing on 2k times.

When approaching a 2k (or indeed a 5k) do your best to even split the whole way - so if you've just pulled a 9 minute 2k that would put you at a 2:15 500m split, perhaps try and hold a 2:13 or 2:14 the whole way next time. It's so so so much easier, and more efficient on the water, to even split the whole way - I imagine you wouldn't have much trouble holding a 2:00 split (or lower) for the first 500m, but you may find you struggle later and your middle 500m is more like 2:30. It would be better to settle at around 2:15 and stay there the whole way, possibly with a sprint in the last 100-200m if there's anything left in the tank. Try working down off one or two seconds from your 500m split each time to find what your actual limits are. Also, doing 2k after 2k isn't going to be the best training technique, try to mix it up a bit with different distances, or rates. When you're at uni I'm sure that you'll be given a training plan as to what to do though! Again, with rate in a 2k you want to make sure that (after the first few strokes) you settle at a sensible and sustainable rate, probably in the region of 30-36, but you'll just have to determine for yourself what's best!

I hope that helps a bit!!!

Thank you so much. That's really helpful!

I'll give those tips a go :smile:
Are Warwick and KCL good at rowing?
Reply 1223
So excited for my taster session on Saturday and then starting training on Monday!
Reply 1224
Original post by mctruffle
Are Warwick and KCL good at rowing?

If you're going for KCL, you can also have a look at ULBC.
EDIT: Providing you're not a beginner.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1225
What sort of stations are likely to be present at a circuits session for rowing?
Reply 1226
Original post by Peanut
What sort of stations are likely to be present at a circuits session for rowing?

Rowing has a tendency to work out almost every muscle, so be prepared for a bit of everything. Lots of stretching and core as well.
Original post by Peanut

As said above, lots of different stations are used as rowing uses essentially all muscle groups. IIRC the stations present at my circuit sessions were:

Leg extensions
Leg press
Leg curls
Bench pull
Lat pull down
Incline crunches
Supermans
Some other core stuff
Anyone have any experience of Glasgow universities rowing team?
Any juniors here? J17-18 area? I get the feeling that most people at this age are quite competitive (whereas at Uni it can be more of a social thing) so they don't want to talk :tongue: I row where it says I'm from ^^
Reply 1230
On Sunday I've got my first proper outing. Any ideas what I might be doing? Learning to turn the boat? Full strokes? Feathering?
Do you think seniors might be in stroke and bow?
Reply 1231
Original post by Peanut
On Sunday I've got my first proper outing. Any ideas what I might be doing? Learning to turn the boat? Full strokes? Feathering?
Do you think seniors might be in stroke and bow?

I'm not sure they'll bother sticking seniors in the boat, but you'll probably only row in pairs, or fours if they're feeling a bit adventurous. I'd expect them to teach you a full stroke, not sure about feathering, there's only so much you can take in one session and getting your coordination right the first time round is enough :p:.

Turning the boat is inevitable, but that'll be the cox's job, all you'll learn from it is how to back down if you're in a seat that needs to do something, or how to tap down if they use another way of turning round. Don't expect too much, it'll be basic stuff to start with but you'll do more as you progress.

Do make sure you've got lots of layers if it's cold, and waterproof ones if it rains as you're likely to not do that much and could get cold quickly (and it's never nice.) If you get a novice cox (my old club sticks all the novs together) just be patient, it requires good spacial awareness and understanding of how the boat works - it's trickier than it looks when you start coxing, especially when you've got to listen to the coach telling you stuff, keep the rowers moving and direct the boat while trying not to crash it.

Anyway, enjoy!
By pairs, he means only 2 of the 8 rowing - putting you in a pair on your first outing would be suicide :biggrin: and from my experience occasionally helping out training the novices I wouldn't expect any feathering.

Oh, your first session has presumably already passed - how did it go?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1233
Hi everyone, I'm new to rowing :smile: I'm in year 12 and have been doing it for about a month now, we're going out in racing boats for the first time next week.
I just had a couple of questions about kit if any girls rowers could help me out. Are there any sports bras that are particularly good for rowing? I find cross back ones really uncomfortable, but I'm not sure where sells good quality ones with a different style. And what about tops? I don't really want to invest in proper rowing ones yet, but I only have loose sports ones otherwise, and I'm having some problems with these getting caught with sculling.
Reply 1234
Original post by Kilaskwiral
By pairs, he means only 2 of the 8 rowing - putting you in a pair on your first outing would be suicide :biggrin: and from my experience occasionally helping out training the novices I wouldn't expect any feathering.

I did say "in pairs/fours" not "in a pair/a four" :wink:
(and I'm a she :p:)

Original post by Alix23
Hi everyone, I'm new to rowing :smile: I'm in year 12 and have been doing it for about a month now, we're going out in racing boats for the first time next week.
I just had a couple of questions about kit if any girls rowers could help me out. Are there any sports bras that are particularly good for rowing? I find cross back ones really uncomfortable, but I'm not sure where sells good quality ones with a different style. And what about tops? I don't really want to invest in proper rowing ones yet, but I only have loose sports ones otherwise, and I'm having some problems with these getting caught with sculling.

Just get a lycra top from any running shop, it'll do the job just fine! If you check out crewroom or godfrey they may have some bras, although I have a feeling all you'll find are cross back ones because they offer good support. H&M has some brassiere-style ones, but they don't offer as much support. Check Nike, Adidas or maybe even Sweaty Betty?
Reply 1235

It went well thanks. We were in an 8 with seniors at stroke and 7. We did all our exercises in either fours or just all the six freshers.
We did lots of tapping exercises, roll ups and just working our way up to some kind of unison in full stroke.
I really enjoyed it but it might be Wednesday next week or even the week after that when I next get a water session :frown:
I've just started 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it :biggrin:
Original post by Peanut
It went well thanks. We were in an 8 with seniors at stroke and 7. We did all our exercises in either fours or just all the six freshers.
We did lots of tapping exercises, roll ups and just working our way up to some kind of unison in full stroke.
I really enjoyed it but it might be Wednesday next week or even the week after that when I next get a water session :frown:

Sounds like you should stick with it! If you get chance to, go to a gym and see if any technical coaching is available for you on the rowing machines. Are you rowing at uni or at your local club?

Original post by Anatheme
I did say "in pairs/fours" not "in a pair/a four" :wink:
(and I'm a she :p:)

But if there was eight of them, and they went in four pairs, or 2 fours, then saying 'in pairs/fours' would mean the same thing :P and eh, you don't have one of those pink cross thingies :s
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1238
Sounds like you should stick with it! If you get chance to, go to a gym and see if any technical coaching is available for you on the rowing machines. Are you rowing at uni or at your local club?]

I'm definitely sticking with it.
I'm rowing with uni and they've given us an ergs workshop to teach us technique and we're just waiting for them to set up more training sessions for us now.
Original post by Peanut
I'm definitely sticking with it.
I'm rowing with uni and they've given us an ergs workshop to teach us technique and we're just waiting for them to set up more training sessions for us now.

Well, good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest