The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm starting year 12 next week so am a 2015 applicant, but thought I would keep an eye on this thread anyway!

GCSEs: 7 A*s, 2.5 As & 1 distinction

Work Experience (completed by next summer):
- 1 week in hospital A&E
- 1 week in another hospital (not sure which department yet)
- 1 week in a GP surgery
- 1 year volunteering in a dementia care home
- 2 years volunteering in the local library, helping with community activities

ECs:

I'm a little low on these. I love to read and I play badminton. Will also make sure I get involved with some student council stuff at sixth form.

I plan to apply to Keele and BSMS, and then my other 2 choices will depend on my UKCAT score. If it's good I'll apply to either Newcastle or Exeter and Leicester. If not so good will probably be Bristol and possibly Nottingham.

I've done quite a lot of research into the different unis and ruled out those that wouldn't like me for various reasons. For example, Edinburgh and Birmingham are definite no's because of my lack of ECs. Can anyone see a reason why the choices I have mentioned would be definite no's, providing I (hopefully) get As and Bs in my AS levels?

Thanks!
Molly :smile:
Hey I'm really worried I got 1A*, 5A's and a C (Spanish) at GCSE (that's all my school offered!) At AS level I got A (Economics), A (Biology), B (Chemistry), B (Maths). I haven't done my UKCAT yet and I don't really feel fully prepared for it next week. Anyone have any advice? Also my work experience I have x1 week at dentist, x2 days in a GP surgery, x7 months a retail charity shop and x2 weeks in a pharmacy and x10 weeks in a youth club, x2 weeks helping people teach children. Is this enough w/e I know that only some of it is directly related to medicine and this is why I am struggling to write my personal statement. Please anyone which unis should I avoid and do you think its a realistic goal for me to pursue a career in medicine?
Reply 462
Hiii :biggrin:
I am an international student, and I am really scared about applying for medicine because most of the people I know who have applied for medicine in previous years to the UK were rejected although they were highly qualified. So I want to know which universities are known for accepting international students ?
I am doing the IB program, I take Biology and Chemistry HL and my predicted score is 40-42/42
I got an 8/9 in the IELTS
I have done a 2 week training program at a hospital
I shadowed a clinical dietician for 2 weeks and an orthodontist for 1 week
I participated and won at ISWEEEP 2013 (an international science fair in the US)
I particpated and won at Intel Arabia (also a science fair)
And basically thats it...
So with these qualifications (keeping in mind that I am an international student and most uni's only accept 6% of international students for medicine) do you think I have a chance? And in what uni's in particular?
I heard that international students have a higher chance of getting accepted in Scotland than in England. Is this true?
Thank you so much! I will appreciate any help I can get:smile:
If you don't mind , let me take a few minutes of your time and put you in my position. Please give me some advice, I certainly could use some right now. I am in Jordan (I do have British and Irish passports though) and am planning on applying to medical school in England in a few weeks time.
IGCSEs: 6A*1A
AS levels: AAAB ( hopefully the B in arabic will become an A after remarking as I am 2 UMS away from an A).
Average UMS is 84%
A2 prediction : A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (depending on that arabic remark)
UKCAT: 665, Band 3 in sjt Next year
I'm going to start studying for the BMAT from now , hopefully I'll do well.

My personal statement should be good , no volunteering though (in Jordan students don't do volunteer) but I did work in the lab of my father's IVF clinic for a while.
What universities do you recommend I apply to , taking my marks in consideration (I'm thinking Oxford, Imperial, Plymouth and Brighton)? Do you think I should do Physics AS and A2 next year ? How did you think I should prepare for the BMAT ? And finally do you think I am at a strong disadvantage due to my low number of IGCSE subjects ? My school only offered 7 subjects , hopefully universities will understand :redface:
Sorry about the long post folks :smile:
Which Universities am I most likely to get an automatic interview at with 10a*s gcse , 4a's as level and UKCAT 707.5?
Reply 465
Original post by hello10902
Which Universities am I most likely to get an automatic interview at with 10a*s gcse , 4a's as level and UKCAT 707.5?

Kings College London favours your application as would Birmingham (though they ask for A*'s in the sciences, Maths and English and/or English Literature). I believe Keele medical school used to also give interviews to those with the top 100 academics. Have a lot at those for now!
Hello lads,

what work exp should I do in my gap year for medicine?
Reply 467
Original post by Green Bubblegum
Hello lads,

what work exp should I do in my gap year for medicine?

Have you done any work experience at a care home or something along that line? You could look at getting some work experience through working as a ward volunteer at your local hospital (I definitely thought that was the best). Try looking for hospitals for work experience too?
Original post by JoshL123
Have you done any work experience at a care home or something along that line? You could look at getting some work experience through working as a ward volunteer at your local hospital (I definitely thought that was the best). Try looking for hospitals for work experience too?

Ok this is my experience:
7 weeks in a gp
1 week in hospital
2 week in nursing home
3 months in a disabilty centre
2 months in a charity shop
Mentoring little kids

what im going to do:
1 year with the hospital
tutoring if i Get it :biggrin:
volunteering with an agency

what else should i do
Reply 469
Ok this is my experience:
7 weeks in a gp
1 week in hospital
2 week in nursing home
3 months in a disabilty centre
2 months in a charity shop
Mentoring little kids

what im going to do:
1 year with the hospital
tutoring if i Get it :biggrin:
volunteering with an agency

what else should i do

Wow that is a lot! If you have some money saved up you could travel and gain some work experience in a hospital in another country (i.e. India), making it a cultural and educational visit. Other than that you seem to have ticked the boxes! Are you a re-applicant?
Reply 470
Hey guys! I want to apply for medicine this year and im worried that i might not get a place, does this sound ok to you? If so where do you think I could apply?

4A*s, 8As and 1B at GCSE (i know its a bit low)

AS 2Bs, 2Cs but wont be cashed in till next year (was disappointed)

predictions for A2: AAB (i know thats low too, thats what im worried about :frown:

715 in UKCAT and 1 for situational judgement

I've weekly volunteered for three years at a care home,

done further 2 weeks at a different care home,

one week at kings college hospital in surgery and obs and gynae and with prof nicholaides,

one weeks of A and E work experience,

peer mentoring at school - discussing drugs etc with younger girls at my school

general babysitting and tutoring

gold d of e not that that will make a difference

I know this is long its just I really need some advice!
thanks in advance
rosie xx
Original post by rosiee96
Hey guys! I want to apply for medicine this year and im worried that i might not get a place, does this sound ok to you? If so where do you think I could apply?

4A*s, 8As and 1B at GCSE (i know its a bit low)

AS 2Bs, 2Cs but wont be cashed in till next year (was disappointed)

predictions for A2: AAB (i know thats low too, thats what im worried about :frown:

715 in UKCAT and 1 for situational judgement

I've weekly volunteered for three years at a care home,

done further 2 weeks at a different care home,

one week at kings college hospital in surgery and obs and gynae and with prof nicholaides,

one weeks of A and E work experience,

peer mentoring at school - discussing drugs etc with younger girls at my school

general babysitting and tutoring

gold d of e not that that will make a difference

I know this is long its just I really need some advice!
thanks in advance
rosie xx

Everything is good, but with AAB predictions I believe only one medical school will accept your application - Liverpool. Maybe one more I'm not sure.

If I were you I'd see if I could get that prediction up - maybe explain your situation to the relevant subject teacher. With AAA you'd be able to apply to alot of places and have a shot at getting an interview.
Wow that is a lot! If you have some money saved up you could travel and gain some work experience in a hospital in another country (i.e. India), making it a cultural and educational visit. Other than that you seem to have ticked the boxes! Are you a re-applicant?

yes I am a reapplicant. I forgot to mention in the summer I went abroad and worked with an organisation that dealt with teenage pregnancy . Obviously with the strong cultural traditions and everything . That's one of my problems . I don't have enough money saved p. do you know of any jobs available?
Hey guys, ummm I have started to find a lot of GPs around my area and further away but I got a slight problem. When I contact them what do I say? I want work experience or do I give me CV?
Also how do I contact them? Shall I write a letter and expect them to reply or shall I call them on the phone? Many don't have email addresses.
Thanks a lot guys for being patient with me.
Reply 474
yes I am a reapplicant. I forgot to mention in the summer I went abroad and worked with an organisation that dealt with teenage pregnancy . Obviously with the strong cultural traditions and everything . That's one of my problems . I don't have enough money saved p. do you know of any jobs available?

There may be some posts that they are looking for at Hospitals! On the re-applicant page for 2013 entry people got jobs in hospitals. Look up there! Seems like you have it all though!
There may be some posts that they are looking for at Hospitals! On the re-applicant page for 2013 entry people got jobs in hospitals. Look up there! Seems like you have it all though!

Thanks , I just want to keep busy during my Gap year! Also I got A*AAb where would I be at an advantage when applying ?
Reply 476
Thanks , I just want to keep busy during my Gap year! Also I got A*AAb where would I be at an advantage when applying ?

Its hard to tell. If you give me your stats I can give you hand (GCSE'S, UKCAT and which subjects you got the grades that you did in A2)? Where do you think you went wrong with this year's cycle?
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate :smile:
Original post by katherine96
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate :smile:

672 is above average for UKCAT. If you've done Highers I presume you're Scottish? Are you intending to stay in Scotland or can you afford to cross the border?
Its hard to tell. If you give me your stats I can give you hand (GCSE'S, UKCAT and which subjects you got the grades that you did in A2)? Where do you think you went wrong with this year's cycle?

Well I have not done my Ukcat yet. I have got an A* in geo, an a in bio and chem and a b in phy. I have done the junior cert . In the jc the maximum grade is an a . There is no such thing as an A star .Also the exams are in the last year of studies in summer, there is no such thing as modules like in the UK. I got 6A's and 5Bs and 1C. I know not my best result.

i was really shocked why I didn't get an offer or even an interview as its only my second year in the UK.

in my ukcat mocks, I am getting around 710 average.
i also have numerous achievements(duke if Edinburgh, etc,

Quick Reply