You are a fully-fledged polyglot!
Reply 7144
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Only five?!

You are a fully-fledged polyglot!

I didnt say I was, i wanted to be one.
Apart from these which I can read write and speak,
I can read and write Arabic
I can speak a little kazakh and spanish as well.
Knowing Russian helps in Ukranian and polish too. .
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Elmo_83
I didnt say I was, i wanted to be one.
Apart from these which I can read write and speak,
I can read and write Arabic
I can speak a little kazakh and spanish as well.
Knowing Russian helps in Ukranian and polish too. .
Sorry! I wasn't being sarcastic.

Five is a huge number of languages. That's what I mean- you already are a real polyglot!
Reply 7146
Original post by Mário
Não, sou de Angola. :biggrin:

Ah. Quão bom ter um nativo aqui! Quantos anos tem? E vive na Inglaterra?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7147
Original post by AquisM
Ah. Quão bom ter um nativo aqui! Quantos anos tem? E vive na Inglaterra?

16. Sim, vivo na inglaterra.
Reply 7148
Original post by Mário
16. Sim, vivo na inglaterra.

Ooh, eu tenho 16 anos também.

São sete e meia na Inglaterra, não? despertou?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7149
Sim, eram sete e meia quando eu despertei.

Não durmo muito.

Estás em Hong Kong? Que horas são aí?
Reply 7150
Original post by Mário
Sim, eram sete e meia quando eu despertei.

Não durmo muito.

Estás em Hong Kong? Que horas são aí?

Sim, estou. Vivo em Hong Kong. Agora são vinte para as cuatro da tarde aqui.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7151
Original post by AquisM
Sim, estou. Vivo em Hong Kong. Agora são vinte para as cuatro da tarde aqui.

Ah, que bom. Tenho um amigo que estudou em Hong Kong mas vive na inglaterra agora.
Original post by Mário
Ah, que bom. Tenho um amigo que estudou em Hong Kong mas vive na inglaterra agora.

How similar is Portuguese to Spanish?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

And in extension, how similar are Brazilian and European Portuguese to each other? :tongue:
And in further extension, which one is closer to Spanish?:wink:
Reply 7154

The grammar of both languages is very similar and there are a lot of words which are easily recognisable as a lot of the time there is only a difference of one or two letters.

I think this is what makes it easy for speakers of either language to understand the other. The similarity is so much so that I did have to restart one Spanish speaking exam as I had slipped into speaking Portuguese subconsciously. However, there are always those faux amis.

In my opinion Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Portuguese Portuguse in terms of the pronunciation of words.
Reply 7155
Original post by thatitootoo
And in extension, how similar are Brazilian and European Portuguese to each other? :tongue:

European Portuguese is very similar to Brazilian Portuguese. I'd say that the main difference is grammar as there are quite a few disagreements on what is/isn't grammatically correct. We can still understand each other quite easily understand each other even if it takes a little inferring.

In my opinion Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Portuguese Portuguese in terms of the pronunciation of words, but other than that they are both very similar.
Original post by thatitootoo

Original post by Mário
The grammar of both languages is very similar and there are a lot of words which are easily recognisable as a lot of the time there is only a difference of one or two letters.

I think this is what makes it easy for speakers of either language to understand the other. The similarity is so much so that I did have to restart one Spanish speaking exam as I had slipped into speaking Portuguese subconsciously. However, there are always those faux amis.

In my opinion Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Portuguese Portuguse in terms of the pronunciation of words.

Worth learning? Any resources for Brazilian Portuguese?

As I'd love to learn the language of Brazil!
Original post by Mário
European Portuguese is very similar to Brazilian Portuguese. I'd say that the main difference is grammar as there are quite a few disagreements on what is/isn't grammatically correct. We can still understand each other quite easily understand each other even if it takes a little inferring.

In my opinion Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Portuguese Portuguese in terms of the pronunciation of words, but other than that they are both very similar.

Ohh I see, I see :smile: Greater than the difference between BRITISH and American English, but less than the difference between Dutch and Afrikaans? Are there many/any Afrikaans speakers in Angola btw? If my geography is right, it borders South Africa?? :tongue:

And what's the situation in Angola, equatorial guinea(sp?) and Cape Verde? Do they just speak Euro Portuguese there, or do they have their own respective dialects?
Finally! I have found an unfortunate source to unload all my questions regarding Portuguese! :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7158
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Sorry! I wasn't being sarcastic.

Five is a huge number of languages. That's what I mean- you already are a real polyglot!

Its alright, then I interpreted it wrong. . . but honestly, I dont think I am. I wanna learn german, french if given the chance and Arabic in terms of understanding. . .
can you speak any of these languages?
Worth learning? Any resources for Brazilian Portuguese?

As I'd love to learn the language of Brazil!

Think about that oral-less A-level!!!:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending