The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Don't worry , those are some great grades for being in the U.K for only two years! As a leeway (if your UKCAT doesn't turn out to plan) I would say that you should look to medical school such as Keele, BSMS and possibly St Geroge's. You have a multitude of experience in a caring setting and its exactly what they are looking for in their personal statement (alongside commitment). Did your referee make it clear to your chosen universities that you had only been in the U.K for two years?
Original post by JoshL123
Don't worry , those are some great grades for being in the U.K for only two years! As a leeway (if your UKCAT doesn't turn out to plan) I would say that you should look to medical school such as Keele, BSMS and possibly St Geroge's. You have a multitude of experience in a caring setting and its exactly what they are looking for in their personal statement (alongside commitment). Did your referee make it clear to your chosen universities that you had only been in the U.K for two years?

I would think so. Basically, the teachers write your reference and then the principal combines those and produces a resultant reference. She knows that I have moved from Ireland and I asked her a copy of my reference but she refused to give so.
On the 15th of August(results day) I told the principal to update my reference.
Also, my friend told me not having my full grades put me at an disadvantage?
Reply 482
Original post by Green Bubblegum
I would think so. Basically, the teachers write your reference and then the principal combines those and produces a resultant reference. She knows that I have moved from Ireland and I asked her a copy of my reference but she refused to give so.
On the 15th of August(results day) I told the principal to update my reference.
Also, my friend told me not having my full grades put me at an disadvantage?

Ah right I see. What do you mean by full grades? Is that a combination of As and A2?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
672 is above average for UKCAT. If you've done Highers I presume you're Scottish? Are you intending to stay in Scotland or can you afford to cross the border?

Yep, well I live in Scotland. I would love to return to England to study but I think my parents would rather not pay my fees. I am really hoping to get into Edinburgh. Do you have any idea which other universities would be good?
Thanks
Ah right I see. What do you mean by full grades? Is that a combination of As and A2?

No just as. I got AbbB in my as and after I sent my application I re sat the modules and got AaAA in As. However, I got my results in MArch and someone told me that the universities update you grades.

Plus, principal told me to apply to unis 'away' from each other. But I though this was a bit too far fetched ??
Reply 485
Ah right! Well in this years application cycle I am sure you can enter your new grades but double check to make sure. I don't think that you have to often enter your As results if you have completed your A2 exams but your results are good so I wouldn't take the risk as some universities (i.e. Birmingham) will want to know.

Your principal's advice seems a bit weird? Do you know why he told you that? It shouldn't really matter (unless you are in London as in that case applying to three or four London universities can be considered a risk). Otherwise universities have no idea of where you applied to :/
Ah right! Well in this years application cycle I am sure you can enter your new grades but double check to make sure. I don't think that you have to often enter your As results if you have completed your A2 exams but your results are good so I wouldn't take the risk as some universities (i.e. Birmingham) will want to know.

Your principal's advice seems a bit weird? Do you know why he told you that? It shouldn't really matter (unless you are in London as in that case applying to three or four London universities can be considered a risk). Otherwise universities have no idea of where you applied to :/

It's alright now as my as grades are AAAA and my a2 grades A*AAb so my total grades are A*AAB , the B in Physics. Idk why and my principal is a female :biggrin:

She told me that it would be more advisable to apply far away. I don't know why, I was new into the UK!
Reply 487
It's alright now as my as grades are AAAA and my a2 grades A*AAb so my total grades are A*AAB , the B in Physics. Idk why and my principal is a female :biggrin:

She told me that it would be more advisable to apply far away. I don't know why, I was new into the UK!

I wouldn't base your application on that advice tbh. Its all about making a strategic application to get the best chance of getting into medical school. Research into med schools and go for those you feel you will be better suited to!
I wouldn't base your application on that advice tbh. Its all about making a strategic application to get the best chance of getting into medical school. Research into med schools and go for those you feel you will be better suited to!

Keele and st georges are nice. I might apply to those. Anyways thanks a lot for answering my questions , it helped a lot!

Ps are u in medical school?
Reply 489
Keele and st georges are nice. I might apply to those. Anyways thanks a lot for answering my questions , it helped a lot!

Ps are u in medical school?

No problem, glad to help :smile: I am actually starting at medical school this year (Birmingham) :smile:
No problem, glad to help :smile: I am actually starting at medical school this year (Birmingham) :smile:

What were your grades and ukcat scores ?
Reply 491
What were your grades and ukcat scores ?

GCSE's: 11A*'s 1A
As Levels: AAAA
A2 Levels: A*A*A*A
UKCAT: 677.5 (average)

And I applied also to BSMS, Keele and UEA :smile:
Original post by katherine96
Yep, well I live in Scotland. I would love to return to England to study but I think my parents would rather not pay my fees. I am really hoping to get into Edinburgh. Do you have any idea which other universities would be good?
Thanks

If you're staying in Scotland you just need to rule out one uni since you've only 5 to pick from... You meet the Higher requirement for all of them and based on previous year data you'd get past the UKCAT cut off for all of those that have one, so it's more about where you'd like to go if you don't get Edinburgh.
I'm applying to Newcastle, Durham, Hull/York and one other (very long list I haven't narrowed down yet), anyone else? :smile:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you're staying in Scotland you just need to rule out one uni since you've only 5 to pick from... You meet the Higher requirement for all of them and based on previous year data you'd get past the UKCAT cut off for all of those that have one, so it's more about where you'd like to go if you don't get Edinburgh.

I think I will apply to Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen but I am not sure about the other one. I know Glasgow use the UKCAT more but at St Andrews you have to move half way through your degree. Better to gamble on Glasgow or be unsettled at St Andrews?
Thanks for all your help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by katherine96
I think I will apply to Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen but I am not sure about the other one. I know Glasgow use the UKCAT more but at St Andrews you have to move half way through your degree. Better to gamble on Glasgow or be unsettled at St Andrews?
Thanks for all your help :smile:

If you did a normal degree you'd leave after 3 years anyway, and everyone moves at St As, so it's not quite the same situation as say Oxbridge where some leave after 3 and some stay. And it would mean a second shot at Edinburgh, or a chance to go south as Barts now have a link with St Andrews (though I'm not quite sure how funding would work for that). St Andrew's is also a guaranteed intercalated degree whereas Glasgow you have the choice to do it, so consider which way you're leaning on that issue. They also have pretty different teaching methods, so I'd suggest making a list of all the pro's and con's of each before deciding either way.
Reply 496
Hi guys just did the UKCAT:
VR 530
QR 660
AR 660
DA 840

SJ BAND 3

Is it good or bad? Where can I apply with this score? Is King's impossible?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anybody please just answer me this
Do I have to have maths at A2 level to get into medicine? Will my application be considered any less if I have it at AS but not at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauren1brown
Could anybody please just answer me this
Do I have to have maths at A2 level to get into medicine? Will my application be considered any less if I have it at AS but not at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. There is only one cambridge college that requires maths. Nowhere else is bothered :smile:
Reply 499
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on this book? I'm thinking of buying it so that I can start preparing asap. let me know :smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251333374548?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending