The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doggyfizzel
Do you think Benitez/Di Matteo got the most out of that team? By the measure of simple points the manager plays no part. I think Jose will get a lot more out of that side quite simply.

Agreed.

We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.

When Anderson inevitably goes down, we're one injury away from Giggs or Jones playing at CM.

Original post by jam277
Arsenal said the exact same thing in 2004 and had the same team and we know what happened the next season.

Exactly.

Man United and Arsenal are the only top teams that have failed to improve on their squads. It's worse for Arsenal for obvious reasons, but if other teams that have won trophies have felt the need to strengthen, why on earth shouldn't this team do the same?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18
Agreed.

We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.

When Anderson inevitably goes down, we're one injury away from Giggs or Jones playing at CM.

Tbh, a main problem about chelsea were that they completely changed their style of play and added new players that would need time to gel, you could see that we played much better last season than the previous two seasons and eventually we got a better points total than the previous two. But we were never going to win the league. Similar thing went for City in the 10/11 season. Which is why I'd say we have just as much a chance of winning it as you guys.
Agreed.

The top will be tighter for us, I think we'll be okay with the players we have, the squad is still very competitive. As I said I still think we will be up there with a title challenge but against the top sides, the ones where we can directly mess up their title ambitions they are going to be closer games. Europe is going to be difficult with the squads Bayern, Madrid and Barca have, but I'm happy to put that on hold I think it would be foolish to try and spend our way into competition atm. The weak area is CM and has been for a while, and you have to be realistic with spends and targets but considering the spend we know the club is capable of within reasonable limits, I don't see why we didn't make the purchase. With the Chelsea game, Cleverly and Carrick did fine, but take Cleverly and replace him with a top quality player and I don't think Jose would have left with anything. Moyes is just making it more difficult for himself with seemingly no good reason.
Agreed. We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.

Neither did we. 3 league goals from Valencia, Welbeck, Nani and Young last season?

I expect Welbeck, Zaha, Nani and Young to score 15+ between them. Hernandez and Rooney will most likely get 10-15 league goals each. RVP is looking at another 20+ league goals. Kagawa will also add another 5-10 league goals.

In addition, I expect our defence to perform better than last August-December.

Overall, we have so much room for improvement that the signings of Chelsea/City don't bother me.
Original post by doggyfizzel
The top will be tighter for us, I think we'll be okay with the players we have, the squad is still very competitive. As I said I still think we will be up there with a title challenge but against the top sides, the ones where we can directly mess up their title ambitions they are going to be closer games. Europe is going to be difficult with the squads Bayern, Madrid and Barca have, but I'm happy to put that on hold I think it would be foolish to try and spend our way into competition atm. The weak area is CM and has been for a while, and you have to be realistic with spends and targets but considering the spend we know the club is capable of within reasonable limits, I don't see why we didn't make the purchase. With the Chelsea game, Cleverly and Carrick did fine, but take Cleverly and replace him with a top quality player and I don't think Jose would have left with anything. Moyes is just making it more difficult for himself with seemingly no good reason.

For me, we're pretty much ignoring Europe right now. Our midfield can't compete with the top midfields in Europe. I can accept that. Of course our current squad is still competitive in the league. I wouldn't ever say anything else, but a midfielder is still needed. No matter how much people say that we won the league and that the current team can still improve, a midfielder will still be needed.

Original post by Manchester United
Neither did we. 3 league goals from Valencia, Welbeck, Nani and Young last season?

I expect Welbeck, Zaha, Nani and Young to score 15+ between them. Hernandez and Rooney will most likely get 10-15 league goals each. RVP is looking at another 20+ league goals. Kagawa will also add another 5-10 league goals.

In addition, I expect our defence to perform better than last August-December.

Overall, we have so much room for improvement that the signings of Chelsea/City don't bother me.

I agree with the first part, but then again, we didn't have a problem scoring goals last season. The goals being spread out a bit more would help, though. It was a bit tougher for us when Van Persie had his dry spell. I think that cost us in the Champions League.

Our problem was the midfield and conceding more goals than we usually do. As you said, it was a lot worse in the first part of the season, but there were still a few games where we ended up conceding first. We still came back to win, but that was not something that has been typical of us in the past. We also had a tough job controlling quite a few matches.

Overall, I agree with your points, but I still think this squad could use 2 new players.
I wouldn't ever say anything else, but a midfielder is still needed. No matter how much people say that we won the league and that the current team can still improve, a midfielder will still be needed.
This is basically why I'd disagree with it. The definition of "need", needed means its essential, I need oxygen. I don't think we need a midfielder to compete and win the league in the same way we would need one in Europe. Yes Moyes can go and win it with our current squad, but that doesn't mean CM isn't a weak area. We should be looking to eliminate weak areas, so it comes down to why hasn't it been addressed, and I don't think there is good reason other than incompetence.
I don't think we need a midfielder, mainly because every other player in our spine is exceptional. The man next to Carrick isn't always so relevant with guys like Vidic at the back and Robin up top. It could make us pretty unstoppable though.

Tomorrow's match thread, if it hasn't already been posted...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2451756
(edited 10 years ago)
A few papers reporting that rooney has suffered a gash on his head during training and will be out for some time. I think Kagawa will end up with more time on the whole but would have liked to have seen Rooney again after his last impressive performance.
Reply 9228
Rooney's always getting 'injured' when we play Liverpool...potential bonus of missing some international games too.
Opportunity beckons for Kag if Rooney's out. If he played, I can't envisage him playing well because hardly had much game-time but on other hand, might not faze him and he'll be ready to prove his worth.

I'm expecting the same side as Monday with Rooney possibly out. Valencia, in the first half, defensively, was sound and he'll be needed to keep an eye on Coutinho.
If Rooney is injured, Giggs will start.
Hoping Kagawa will start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how long Fletcher is out for? If he does come back and play a deeper role he could be very useful for us especially against the big teams where he plays his heart out.
If Giggs plays, based on his performance at Chelsea, it will be a very hard game for MU
Original post by Silver060
Does anyone know how long Fletcher is out for? If he does come back and play a deeper role he could be very useful for us especially against the big teams where he plays his heart out.

I can't see him ever coming back in all honesty. :sad:
really want a win today.

if Rooney isn't fit then hopefully Kagawa comes in, be good to see him get some game time.
FWIW, Herrera only made the bench for Bilbao today.

I think Giggs and even Young would be more likely to start then Kagawa, if Rooney is injured.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
FWIW, Herrera only made the bench for Bilbao today.

I think Giggs and even Young would be more likely to start then Kagawa, if Rooney is injured.

didn't come on either, Madrid 3-0 up and Athletic have used all subs.

edit: my mate is a **** sending me the wrong line up on a message, ****ing prick

De Gea

Jones, Fedinand, Vidic, Evra

Carrick, Cleverley

Young, Giggs, Wellbeck

Van Persie
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9238
Kagawa's not even on the bench. Not sure how he's become less fit since he was at the last match. Giggs it is then...
Original post by xDave-
Kagawa's not even on the bench. Not sure how he's become less fit since he was at the last match. Giggs it is then...

I would guess he probably is injured/unfit tbh.

Giggs is a good player still, really don't get the hate from some fans, him, Wellbeck and Van Persie are a great attacking line up imo.

Latest