The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elmo_83
Its alright, then I interpreted it wrong. . . but honestly, I dont think I am. I wanna learn german, french if given the chance and Arabic in terms of understanding. . .
can you speak any of these languages?

She can do German well! She also does French, as do I!

Arabic... Like you I can only read it!:redface:
هذ سائر ... I think that says here's car :mmm: je ne sais pas
Reply 7162
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Worth learning? Any resources for Brazilian Portuguese?

As I'd love to learn the language of Brazil!

Definitely worth learning! :biggrin:

I believe the only reason people don't learn Portuguese compared to other languages is the lack of resources, though I've found a few online.

Livemocha - Learn it, and get comments on your writing/speaking from native speakers. You can also help people learn your native language.

Duolingo - Learn it!

Memrise - For learning vocabulary on specific topics

issuu - Finding literature in Portuguese

These are the resources I have used/use to make sure I remain a polyglot. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7163
Anyone here speak Turkish? :redface:
Original post by Mário
Definitely worth learning! :biggrin:

I believe the only reason people don't learn Portuguese compared to other languages is the lack of resources, though I've found a few online.

These are the resources I have used/use to make sure I remain a polyglot. :biggrin:

Duolingo has terrible audio for Portuguese :frown:

Cut them out though. And saved for future!
Reply 7165
Original post by Mário
European Portuguese is very similar to Brazilian Portuguese. I'd say that the main difference is grammar as there are quite a few disagreements on what is/isn't grammatically correct. We can still understand each other quite easily understand each other even if it takes a little inferring.

In my opinion Brazilian Portuguese is closer to Spanish than Portuguese Portuguese in terms of the pronunciation of words, but other than that they are both very similar.

E o português de África? É mais parecido ao europeu ou ao brasileiro?
Original post by Vionar
Anyone here speak Turkish? :redface:

Say "Oroshpoo, seekteregeet" :wink:
Waar is mijn rep??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7167
Original post by thatitootoo
Ohh I see, I see :smile: Greater than the difference between BRITISH and American English, but less than the difference between Dutch and Afrikaans? Are there many/any Afrikaans speakers in Angola btw? If my geography is right, it borders South Africa?? :tongue:

And what's the situation in Angola, equatorial guinea(sp?) and Cape Verde? Do they just speak Euro Portuguese there, or do they have their own respective dialects?
Finally! I have found an unfortunate source to unload all my questions regarding Portuguese! :colone:

Hahaha. Yeah, I'd say the difference is quite similar to the British and American English one, but not so much Dutch and Afrikaans.

Angola borders Namibia, Zambia, and DR Congo. A lot of people have migrated to and from Angola due to civil wars and such. Near the borders you'll find a lot of people who do speak the language of their native country as well as Portuguese, but you can tell that Portuguese is not their first language. Not a lot of people speak Afrikaans in Angola despite the fact that some do speak it in Namibia.

Angola and Cape Verde both speak Euro-Portuguese, but in Cape Verde they also speak Portuguese creole which can be quite difficult to understand if you're not Cape Verdean.

Angola did have a language prior to colonization which was similar to other West African languages though this has been lost through the generations but some indigenous people still speak it.

As for Equatorial Guinea I do not know.
Reply 7168
Original post by AquisM
E o português de África? É mais parecido ao europeu ou ao brasileiro?

O português de África é igual ao europeu. :biggrin:
Original post by Mário
Hahaha. Yeah, I'd say the difference is quite similar to the British and American English one, but not so much Dutch and Afrikaans.

Angola borders Namibia, Zambia, and DR Congo. A lot of people have migrated to and from Angola due to civil wars and such. Near the borders you'll find a lot of people who do speak the language of their native country as well as Portuguese, but you can tell that Portuguese is not their first language. Not a lot of people speak Afrikaans in Angola despite the fact that some do speak it in Namibia.

Angola and Cape Verde both speak Euro-Portuguese, but in Cape Verde they also speak Portuguese creole which can be quite difficult to understand if you're not Cape Verdean.

Angola did have a language prior to colonization which was similar to other West African languages though this has been lost through the generations but some indigenous people still speak it.

As for Equatorial Guinea I do not know.

You've just physically fed my brain, young sir, OBRIGADOO!
Reply 7170
Duolingo has terrible audio for Portuguese :frown:

So it's not just me experiencing this problem.

Memrise has better audio. :smile:
Original post by Mário
So it's not just me experiencing this problem.

Memrise has better audio. :smile:

Okay :biggrin:

Thanks
Reply 7172
you've just physically fed my brain, young sir, obrigadoo!

De nada, amigo. :biggrin:
Reply 7173
Original post by Mário
O português de África é igual ao europeu. :biggrin:

Ah, entendo. Mais é muito difícil aprender o português europeu, todos os recursos em Internet ensinam o brasileiro. Eu quero aprender o europeu porque falo espanhol e parece que gramáticamente o europeu é mais parecido a espanhol, ainda que a pronuncição não é.
Original post by Elmo_83
Its alright, then I interpreted it wrong. . . but honestly, I dont think I am. I wanna learn german, french if given the chance and Arabic in terms of understanding. . .
can you speak any of these languages?
I speak some German (I've completed A-level German) and a little French (I've completed GCSE French and I'm starting A-level French in a fortnight).

She can do German well! She also does French, as do I!

Arabic... Like you I can only read it!:redface:
:biggrin: Thanks for the vote of confidence! :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7175
Original post by AquisM
Ah, entendo. Mais é muito difícil aprender o português europeu, todos os recursos em Internet ensinam o brasileiro. Eu quero aprender o europeu porque falo espanhol e parece que gramáticamente o europeu é mais parecido a espanhol, ainda que a pronuncição não é.

Não importa. Português brasileiro ainda é muito bom para o espanhol e é mais útil porque a economia do Brasil está crescendo. Mais pessoas vão falar o português brasileiro.
Original post by AquisM

INTERESTINGLY, there have even been some studies which even suggested that the grammar of Brazilian Portuguese is even closer to that of Mandirin Chinese, than it is to European Portuguese!

Just something I thought Aquismo might be interested in :tongue:
Reply 7177
Original post by Mário
Não importa. Português brasileiro ainda é muito bom para o espanhol e é mais útil porque a economia do Brasil está crescendo. Mais pessoas vão falar o português brasileiro.

Sim, eu sei, mais quero ir a Portugal um dia, então é mais útil para mim aprender o europeu. Além disso, não muitas diferenças entre os dois sotaques salvo a pronuncição, não?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7178
INTERESTINGLY, there have been some studies which even suggested that the grammar of Brazilian Portuguese is even closer to that of Mandirin Chinese, than it is to European Portuguese!

Hahaha, really? :laugh:

I shall have to learn Mandarin Chinese to find out. :biggrin:
Reply 7179
INTERESTINGLY, there have even been some studies which even suggested that the grammar of Brazilian Portuguese is even closer to that of Mandirin Chinese, than it is to European Portuguese!

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending