The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Unless it has changed recently, you take chemistry, physics , biology and maths up to Christmas. Your maths module will depend on a test that you take early on. After Christmas, you drop one of the modules.There are exams in the first semester as well.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Matureb
Unless it has changed recently, you take chemistry, physics , biology and maths up to Christmas. Your maths module will depend on a test that you take early on. After Christmas, you drop one of the modules.There are exams in the first semester as well.

What depth do the second semester modules go into? Are you essentially studying 3 A-levels in one year?
Reply 262
I don`t think that the foundation year is as hard as A levels. But my A levels were a long time ago. You are taught well, but only those concepts that you will need to start your chosen degree after the foundation year.
Some courses require you to be in the top group for maths. Brush up on your maths before the maths test.
Reply 263
Original post by Matureb

It has changed recently I think, at my interview the lady said that they used to make students take all 4 but now you select 3 of them specific to the course you want to take.
Reply 264
Original post by bestofyou
did you have previous experience of science/maths at A-level?

any word yet?

Apologies, I haven't been on TSR in quite a while.

I studied Biology and got a C.
My others were history (D), Psychology (B),

Also failed AS Chem. :redface:

As the semester has finished feel free to quote me and ask me any questions. :smile:

I just wanted to ask about how it works about progressing to the following year. Will you be guaranteed a place if you get the grades required? How high are the asking percentages. All the site tells you is 120 credits but provides no figures for the specific unit marks.

As I did it the year before this one I can only give you what was on my course and I've heard its gone up.

75% for Pharmacy (if science A-level had been studied), 70% Pharmacy (without science A-level).
70% other Masters.
65% for Biomed / Bio / Chem.

You'll get a handbook in your induction week detailing what you will need to get for which course.
Original post by Smorg
Does anyone here attend UEA and know much about what happens if you fail your modules?

I've heard UEA can be quite ruthless to Year 0 students who don't do well in their exams.

You can resit but you can only your marks will be capped at 40% (ie. get 99% and they will still only count it the same as someone who gets 41%)

I know one person who is redoing the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 265
Is the depth of study the same as A-level? Someone on here told me it wasn't the same as two full A-levels, maybe just a bit below A2 standard. Would you agree with that?

As I messed up my A-levels by not putting any effort in I studied harder than I did at A-level. I have no doubt you can put plenty of effort in to get the grades you want and still have an excellent social life (if that's what is worrying you).

But their assessment seems about right - Not as in depth or hard as A level.
Hi

I have just finished the Foundation in science year, if you have any questions feel free to ask!! :smile:
Original post by Wolowizard78
Hi

I have just finished the Foundation in science year, if you have any questions feel free to ask!! :smile:

Is it true there is an entry chemistry exam? & if so what's it like? Do I need to study for it at all?
(edited 10 years ago)
what do you mean entry exam? Do you mean at the beginning of the foundation year or to you mean after the foundation for entry onto the chemistry degree?

No I read on the My UEA there would be an entry exam in the summer before you start the degree, was wondering if anyone whose done it had any details on it
Reply 269
What level is the mathematics exam? What kind of things should I study before doing the exam? I am thinking of doing some maths during this summer to be ready for the exam.
Hi

Sorry i am late replying i'm on holiday! :smile:

There is NO chemistry entrance exam, so you do not need to worry about that! :smile: I hate chemistry (I found it the hardest) but i dropped it after first semester!

As for the entrance maths exam you have to take the test on your computer, it is just based on stuff you learn in gcse and its quite straight forward! :smile: i did pretty average on the test and i ended up in the top set! and i hadn't done A level maths.

If there is anything else you want just ask!
To try answer your first question, I haven't heard of a chemistry exam. I know that there was one for the mathematics modules, that makes sense as there are at least two you can choose from, one of which is above AS level standard. However the chemistry foundation year page (not to be confused with the science foundation year) states that you are allocated a maths module based on your qualifications, so maybe they removed the exam this year, I have no idea though.

where did you read that though? I'm not finding any degree related information on My UEA and cannot find a single piece of information about an entry exam prior to starting on Google. Do you have a link?

The link wouldn't work because You have to log in but here is exactly what it says-
"Please note: If you are studying an Access course, BTEC or Foundation Course outside of UEA and you are successful in obtaining an offer from us, part of the conditions will be to sit a UEA Chemistry Test. This will take place at the University in the Summer 2013. Further information will be made available to such applicants later in the cycle. "
I'm not sure what they mean by a course outside of UEA, it might be a different thing.

Hi

There is NO chemistry entrance exam, so you do not need to worry about that! :smile: I hate chemistry (I found it the hardest) but i dropped it after first semester!

As for the entrance maths exam you have to take the test on your computer, it is just based on stuff you learn in gcse and its quite straight forward! :smile: i did pretty average on the test and i ended up in the top set! and i hadn't done A level maths.

Ohh I see, thats nothing to worry about then, thanks. Yeah I think I was mixing stuff up, if you read my post above this one I posted what I read but I don't think it's applicable
Original post by Sam_Prudence
The link wouldn't work because You have to log in but here is exactly what it says-
"Please note: If you are studying an Access course, BTEC or Foundation Course outside of UEA and you are successful in obtaining an offer from us, part of the conditions will be to sit a UEA Chemistry Test. This will take place at the University in the Summer 2013. Further information will be made available to such applicants later in the cycle. "
I'm not sure what they mean by a course outside of UEA, it might be a different thing.

Generally foundation courses are offered by universities or higher education colleges. So what they mean by having done a course outside of UEA they simply refer to having obtained the qualification at a different university/college.

Seems very odd indeed though. I would guess that as Access courses and foundation courses are often mature students who haven't studied GCSE science in a while, and perhaps the BTEC refers to the level 5 BTECs also, then the test may be for those who haven't studied chemistry in a long time and it is just to ensure they do not struggle with the module.

As it says 'part of the conditions' is to sit the test, it would most likely be a conditional offer. It should state in you offer letter what your conditions are.

Hi

What did you take in second semester after dropping chemistry? It has changed slightly this year and you take only 3 subjects in first semester now as opposed to 4 in the first and 3 in the second which I assume you did? Did you do the computing module at all? If I struggle badly with any of the 3 modules my only option would be to drop one after the first semester and take up the computing module second semester, any idea how hard computing would be?
Generally foundation courses are offered by universities or higher education colleges. So what they mean by having done a course outside of UEA they simply refer to having obtained the qualification at a different university/college.

Seems very odd indeed though. I would guess that as Access courses and foundation courses are often mature students who haven't studied GCSE science in a while, and perhaps the BTEC refers to the level 5 BTECs also, then the test may be for those who haven't studied chemistry in a long time and it is just to ensure they do not struggle with the module.

As it says 'part of the conditions' is to sit the test, it would most likely be a conditional offer. It should state in you offer letter what your conditions are.

Well I was given an unconditional offer so I would say it's safe to assume I'm only gonna have to do the online maths test.

Does anyone know which kind of degrees you can go onto after the foundation year? I've heard it's pretty much all the sciences with the exception of theoretical physics, but does this include masters degrees or is it onlu bachelors?
The link below should hopefully shed some light on the degree courses you can take :smile:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/learningandteaching/students/gettingstarted/handbooks/SwFY+Handbook+2012-13+final+revised+November+2012

As for the computer module i don't know anyone who took it to provide feedback sorry!

I took Maths, Physics and biology in my second semester
Original post by Sam_Prudence
Well I was given an unconditional offer so I would say it's safe to assume I'm only gonna have to do the online maths test.

Does anyone know which kind of degrees you can go onto after the foundation year? I've heard it's pretty much all the sciences with the exception of theoretical physics, but does this include masters degrees or is it onlu bachelors?

there is no chemistry exam. They replied to my email and said that there are no entry exams and haven't been for many years. The information you got must have been old information from when there was exams that hadn't been updated.
Has anyone ever got into this course via clearing/adjustment?
Original post by Jakelee
As I messed up my A-levels by not putting any effort in I studied harder than I did at A-level. I have no doubt you can put plenty of effort in to get the grades you want and still have an excellent social life (if that's what is worrying you).

But their assessment seems about right - Not as in depth or hard as A level.

What modules did you take?

Do you know how in depth the physics module is? I see that it is 'Physics with ICT' as opposed to just physics for the first semester module, so would I be right in guessing it is slightly less in depth than the other modules, maths, chemistry and biology?

I have a feeling I always found biology easiest of all three sciences, but that was based on GCSE level science that I didn't work for at all. However I think I may be better doing chemistry and physics despite these two being the ones I would find harder.
Hello, need your help guys! Basically I did a national diploma in animal management and got only a PPM. I didn't put any work in at all. It had biology sections and also chemistry. I have no idea what I want to do but I know I want it to be science related especially biology! Is a foundation right for me? I literally have no clue how to even start looking or what I need to search for! Reading all your comments makes me think this is the right choice! Thanks! Jade

Quick Reply

Latest