The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvasiveRose
I'll probably order it some time next week :tongue:
And I just finished reading Oryx and Crake; very confusing yet a great read
I enrol on Tuesdy (2 hours) and start on Wednesdy
I'm hoping to read the books that accompany some of these tv series too. I've read a bit of Sherlock though...

Or you could just borrow it from a library? :smile:
I haven't read that - what's it about? I might give it a go when I've made some more progress with my ridiculously long reading list :tongue:
Yeah, same with me, I guess that's the normal process for UK schools then.
I've read all the Sherlock stories - I love them, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius! I don't understand why he disliked writing them so much. A Game Of Thrones was also a good book, a bit confusing at first because there are so many different characters and different POVs and it takes a while to work out who is who, but once you understand that it's a very enjoyable book. I've never read the Sherlock or Supernatural books because they were written after the TV series was aired, and I find books written then just aren't as good as books written before.
Original post by techno836
:erm: errr not at all :erm:

I like CSI: NY CSI:Miami and NCIS:LA they're my favourites :biggrin: but I'll watch any really :woo:

Ahh well. :tongue:

Fair enough :biggrin: my favourites are probably CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and CSI: NY - I've never been able to get into CSI: Miami for some reason, it's a bit of a different style and it's never appealed as much. I really ought to sit down and start rewatching it from the beginning someday to try and understand it a bit more! I haven't actually watched any NCIS but I keep meaning to start - I need more time for watching all these series'!
Original post by LeFailFish

Fair enough :biggrin: my favourites are probably CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and CSI: NY - I've never been able to get into CSI: Miami for some reason, it's a bit of a different style and it's never appealed as much. I really ought to sit down and start rewatching it from the beginning someday to try and understand it a bit more! I haven't actually watched any NCIS but I keep meaning to start - I need more time for watching all these series'!

CSI Miami is the worst ever. And this is coming from a CSI fanatic.

Law & order: criminal intent and law & order: special victims unit are great tbh. I love special victims unit the most imo
Or you could just borrow it from a library? :smile:
I haven't read that - what's it about? I might give it a go when I've made some more progress with my ridiculously long reading list :tongue:
Yeah, same with me, I guess that's the normal process for UK schools then.
I've read all the Sherlock stories - I love them, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius! I don't understand why he disliked writing them so much. A Game Of Thrones was also a good book, a bit confusing at first because there are so many different characters and different POVs and it takes a while to work out who is who, but once you understand that it's a very enjoyable book. I've never read the Sherlock or Supernatural books because they were written after the TV series was aired, and I find books written then just aren't as good as books written before.

A library? (I'm too lazy :tongue:)
I can't tell you (read it). I think its a great book but it leaves so my questions unanswered, which I hate
as I don't get a sense of having finished and understood the book. But I think thats the beauty of it. Same. I prefer books that are written before the TV series

EDIT: CSI, NCIS fan here too :five:
Original post by Dannyboy1236
What is it?

Ancient history a-level, the study of the Ancient Greeks and Romans e.g. the Spartan empire, the invasion of Britain by the Romans...etc
Reply 3505
Original post by sr-96
To anyone who is going to study A level maths, are you going to buy square paper or lined paper?:smile:

I think I'm going to get square but I doubt it's necessary because we won't really be doing a lot of geometry but I'm getting square so it looks neater :biggrin:
Reply 3506
Original post by mynameisntbobk

Law & order: criminal intent and law & order: special victims unit are great tbh. I love special victims unit the most imo

Does anyone watch Body of Proof?
Original post by sr-96
To anyone who is going to study A level maths, are you going to buy square paper or lined paper?:smile:

Lined paper for 'normal stuff' and square paper/graph paper for graphs and stuff
Original post by YanaIguana
Thank you! Sorry I may be late e-mailing you the story as I've been so busy and I hardly ever go on my laptop. I hope this doesn't inconvenience you.

I also find reading over a novel you have written is very daunting. I'm scared I'll have to add more stuff and read it over again. But it must be very pleasurable after you've finished everything.

We don't get much freedom with book choices at my sixth form. It all depends on the teacher. It's a very small sixth form though, so it'll be nice to experience. The books they mentioned where Frankenstein and Pride and Prejudice. I'm hoping for Pride and Prejudice as I believe I'll find it more enjoyable. The second year we study Antony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare. The exam board is OCR just in case you wanted to know.

It's great that you go on writing courses. I've been meaning to research them. Are they local or do you travel far to get to them? Is there any you recommend? The sixth form I am attending also offers a Shakespeare residential trip. I LOVE Shakespeare! His works are like a beautiful puzzle, waiting to be solved.

I always write too much too, especially when it comes to things I love. XD I'm pretty sure I went over the word limit for my GCSE controlled assessments. I don't think I'm too bad at that though.

I am loving The Mortal Instruments as its a great plot line and very fast paced. I'm such a slow reader though it really annoys me. I must take in each and every word. I was too scared to read Game of Thrones as I heard its quite gory. I've never read a gory novel before. I also read an extract and didn't think it was my kind if of book. I prefer "gentle" fantasy, if you understand what I mean. :P I'll have to look up the other novels you mentioned as I haven't heard of them before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's absolutely fine, I completely understand that everyone's busy at the moment with going back to school and everything :frown: so don't worry about it. Just send it whenever's convenient for you and I'll find the time to read it. :biggrin:

Ahh yes - compulsive editing syndrome is very real. I have a friend who has almost finished her novel - she got nearly to the end several years ago and has now gone back and edited it instead of finishing it over 40 times. She swears she'll get round to finshing it eventually!

Ahh, a small sixth form would be nice - my school is the largest secondary school in the county, and consequently has the largest sixth form, so the ratio of students to teachers is huge and we get very little help. I also seem to have ended up being assigned to all of the teachers who are very bad at actually teaching... :frown: so next year could be difficult! I've read Frankenstein, I think it's a great book :smile: Pride and Prejudice is good to, from what I remember (I read it years and years ago) but Frankenstein is more my type of book. You should enjoy both of them! Do you only have to study one book a year for OCR then? Shakespeare should be fun - we looked at a few different plays in English Lit before and during GCSE, and I've discovered I rather like Shakespeare, despite the fact I often find plays difficult to read and prefer to watch them or act them.

I travel about 2 hours away for most of mine, a bit further for some others - there aren't any good ones locally and I tend to go with the same people who I've met on previous courses because we all just get on really well. :smile: I would definitely recommend courses if you love writing, but they can be expensive :frown: which is why I don't go on more. I don't know of any particular ones to recommend - because I've been on quite a few I know some of the authors who run them, and they email me when they're running one they think I'd like, so if they do I'll be sure to tell you! I definitely agree on the Shakespeare front. :biggrin:

Word limits for controlled assessments were the worst... conforming to them was always so difficult. But I managed, somehow.

At least you take everything in! Game of Thrones is certainly graphic in places, but those moments don't define the book. Still, if it's not your kind of book then that's cool :smile: . Insurgent is the sequel to Divergent, they're nice, easy, quick reads but have great plots, which is nice when you're tired and just want a simple story. You'd probably enjoy both of them!
Original post by mynameisntbobk

CSI: Miami does seem like the series with the least of the actual 'CSI' part in, from what I've seen. :tongue:

Well, I'll add both of those to the list of 'things to watch if I ever have spare time that I'm not spending on the computer' then. :biggrin:
Ahahaha :gigg: gosh, I never anticipated the reaction when I chose my username on here. It's hilarious! Hi, it's nice to meet you :biggrin: I'm FailFish, not related in the slightest to L'EvilFish we just have ranomly similar usernames.
Original post by EvasiveRose
A library? (I'm too lazy :tongue:)
I can't tell you (read it). I think its a great book but it leaves so my questions unanswered, which I hate
as I don't get a sense of having finished and understood the book. But I think thats the beauty of it. Same. I prefer books that are written before the TV series

EDIT: CSI, NCIS fan here too :five:

Ahh, laziness :biggrin: that I completely understand :tongue:
I'll add it to the list! Which basically means, give me five years and I may, possibly have read it... my reading list is ever-expanding despite my best efforts to get through it. There are just so many amazing books! :eek:
Woo for CSI!! :dancing2: Gosh, I don't think I've ever found this many fans in one place before...
I love this Korean Version

[video="youtube;6d_cUb6wRxU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_cUb6wRxU[/video]
Quite certain :biggrin: I'm only LeFailFish because FailFish is my real-life nickname, and online I've always put le in front of it because FailFish is normally taken. Strangely... :curious:
Original post by KirenA
Does anyone watch Body of Proof?

From time to time :biggrin: (my brothers a big/obsessive fan of it though :tongue:)
Reply 3515
Original post by themancunian
Can you add me to the list thingy? :biggrin: thanks :smile:

Physics and ancient history, OCR, and maths and further maths, AQA

added :yy:

and yeah there are soo many :lol: i just like Horatio and his glasses :cool: :lol:
I don't like NCIS :/ i just just like NCIS:LA :h:
Reply 3516
I'm gonna watch Cher and Christina Aguilera's film later for my film homework just because it's so bad :teehee:
Original post by techno836
added :yy:

and yeah there are soo many :lol: i just like Horatio and his glasses :cool: :lol:
I don't like NCIS :/ i just just like NCIS:LA :h:

How many of you are doing Critical Thinking/General Studies for AS?
Original post by Bude8
We don't really have clubs, but I'm so gonna try and make an otaku community at my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What Is otaku? :colondollar:

Original post by tess_rach
I'm about 20 minutes from Bristol too! I'm in the north - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the middle of bath, Bristol and Swindon myself, don't wanna tell my town explicitly, gotta keep animosity *hi five for Bristol town centre, yo sushi in particular*

Original post by Bude8
[video="youtube;q_gfD3nvh-8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gfD3nvh-8[/video]

Not bad, I was going to name some songs but my playlist is mostly in Korean xD rep to the dynamic duo(Baam), infinite (destiny) and whoever did rum pum pum :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest