The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I self taught A2 Maths from there:biggrin:

You self-taught yourself A2? That must have required commitment. I don't think I'll study it past GCSE level. The only reason I'm studying the GCSE again is because I don't want a C in Maths amongst my academics when I'm applying for university. Not that there is anything wrong with a C grade; I just think I can do better.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
You self-taught yourself A2? That must have required commitment. I don't think I'll study it past GCSE level. The only reason I'm studying the GCSE again is because I don't want a C in Maths amongst my academics when I'm applying for university. Not that there is anything wrong with a C grade; I just think I can do better.

Not really, I was 2 raw marks off an A*... Need to resit an exam in Year 12:tongue:

Yeah, GCSE maths is too easy!
Yeah, GCSE maths is too easy!

Well perhaps if you're good at Maths, yes, but not for someone like me or most other people who struggle with it. :wink:
Well perhaps if you're good at Maths, yes, but not for someone like me or most other people who struggle with it. :wink:

You'll see when you restart... :tongue:

People are only "bad" at maths due to confidence/teaching or them being badly behaved.
thatitootoo
The word you're looking for is RomanTic! Not "Romanic". You can use "Romance language" instead, if you like.

Fish I was being serious. I don't really think I can even read and write German well!

Phantom It depends on how strictly you define "self-teaching". I did GCSE Maths between February and June in year 11, having been pretty much taught nothing prior to that. As you can imagine, that timespan meant a lot of work at home- the school gave me a copy of the very thick Foundation textbook to work through at home, and then a copy of the Intermediate one after I'd finished the Foundation. But I did have an inspirational Maths teacher during the school-week and actual lessons.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Fish I was being serious. I don't really think I can even read and write German well!

You got a B in the A Level exam! (so I'd say if anything you can't speak German!:tongue:)

Phantom It depends on how strictly you define "self-teaching". I did GCSE Maths between February and June in year 11, having been pretty much taught nothing prior to that. As you can imagine, that timespan meant a lot of work at home- the school gave me a copy of the very thick Foundation textbook to work through at home, and then a copy of the Intermediate one after I'd finished the Foundation. But I did have an inspirational Maths teacher during the school-week and actual lessons.

Hmm. You see, I've already enrolled and paid a small part of the fee for the GCSE Maths class, but my college is an hour away and I'm having to pay for my other courses, so I'm just asking myself if it's really necessary to pay for and attend a class. I've already studied GCSE Physics and German via Distance Learning so the concept isn't anything new to me. In fact, in those two subjects I studied via DL I actually performed better than Biology, Chemistry and Spanish which I had classes for! :lol:

People are only "bad" at maths due to confidence/teaching or them being badly behaved.

Perhaps. I think my mathematical confidence plays a part of it. :rolleyes:

Hmm. You see, I've already enrolled and paid a small part of the fee for the GCSE Maths class, but my college is an hour away and I'm having to pay for my other courses, so I'm just asking myself if it's really necessary to pay for and attend a class. I've already studied GCSE Physics and German via Distance Learning so the concept isn't anything new to me. In fact, in those two subjects I studied via DL I actually performed better than Biology, Chemistry and Spanish which I had classes for! :lol:

I want an A minimum but my previous Maths tutor did say I had the potential to achieve an A*...I just hardly ever completed the homework and did nowhere near enough revision. :colondollar: I've still got all my old Maths materials but I don't know if I would fail without a little support from a tutor during the harder parts. BAH I'll have to mull it over.

(edited 10 years ago)

And you can always ask me for help :biggrin:
And you can always ask me for help :biggrin:

Thank you! :h:
Fish you've forgotten SEN and literacy as factors! The former includes dyslexia, dyscalculia, etc and the latter includes both ESOL-related difficulties and native English speakers with low reading-levels.

GCSE Maths papers tend to contain very wordy questions with plenty of patronising exposition on what's being calculated. To some children, this makes the paper less intimidating, but it pulls other children's grades down, because they have to work out what it even -says- about biscuit tins before they can get started! That affects candidates with particular types of additional needs, as well as the ones with any type of reading difficulty.

Sind GCSE-Prüfungen zu leicht? Wenn man gut in Mathematik ist, dann ja! Aber... Wieviel Schüler schlechte Noten jedes Jahr bekommen? 40 Prozent oder?

Meiner Meinung nach waren die Kinder in meiner Schule sehr wohlerzogen. Selbst wenn ich gab an! Die Lehrerin war sehr gut und sie schickte sogar einen Junge an der Universität von Oxford. :biggrin:

Jedoch haben die meisten der Schüler einen D bekommen.

Are GCSE exams too easy? If you are good at maths, then yes! But... How many children don't get a C+ each year? 40 %, isn't it?

In my opinion, the children at my school were well-behaved. Even when I was showing off! The teacher was very good, and she even sent a boy to Oxford :biggrin:

However, most of my year got a D.

The year after that, I was doing my GCSE English and Science at college with students retaking those subjects. Some of them were also retaking GCSE Maths, and they would ask me to help, because I was doing AS. I do not know the origin of their difficulties, but they had them.

Until my dying day, I will remember trying to explain how to do a question on the GCSE Maths induction worksheet to a classmate.

It was how to calculate the length of a rectangle's sides, when the diagram only gave you the length of -one- long side and -one- short side. She just couldn't get it.
I would also add parental brainwashing as a cause of poor Maths results
Thank you! :h:

De rien :wink:

I can get a class of kids to pass!:tongue:
De rien :wink:

You won't have me speaking French! :eviltongue:
Reply 7214

In what way? Not criticising your viewpoint, just interested and like to ask you to elaborate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nous verrons :mmm:
Reply 7216

Je pensais que tu parlais français? It's too hard to keep track of who speaks what around here. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nous verrons :mmm:

We are something? Pfft, I don't care! :tongue:

Original post by AquisM
Je pensais que tu parlais français? It's too hard to keep track of who speaks what around here. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it! No, at the moment I only study Spanish and German. :smile:
Reply 7218
We are something? Pfft, I don't care! :tongue:

Tell me about it! No, at the moment I only study Spanish and German. :smile:

It means 'we'll see'.

Ay perdón! Te he confundido con otra persona! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
It means 'we'll see'.

Ay perdón! Te he confundido con otra persona! :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"We'll see" haha no we won't Fishy! I'd rather sandwich myself between Russian, Arabic and Chinese before I ever learnt French. Nothing against any francophiles, of course. I've just never really felt any attraction to the language.

Latest