The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I'm planning on living off £40/week (self-catered) so I can put the rest of my budget aside for petrol and train tickets. That said, I don't plan on eating out much and although I do drink, it isn't heavy or particularly often.

Reckon that's enough?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Sambo2
buy a drying rack, crank up your heater and open the window, no need to pay for the drier..

Pretty sure they don't let you do that in halls.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I'm planning on living off £40/week (self-catered) so I can put the rest of my budget aside for petrol and train tickets. That said, I don't plan on eating out much and although I do drink, it isn't heavy or particularly often.

Reckon that's enough?

It's doable but not a lot of fun-I would look into part time work to give you some more flexibility.
Original post by Midlander
It's doable but not a lot of fun-I would look into part time work to give you some more flexibility.

I can afford a bigger budget, I'm just looking at saving some money for other things. If £40/week a doable, I'll have a go at that for a few weeks and see how I go I suppose :smile:
Reply 8224

They technically don't but it's pretty easy to get away with it. Your cleaner comes in the morning and only on weekdays. Just dry your washing after your cleaner comes or at the weekend. By the end of the year, I didn't even bother hiding it from my cleaner and no one cared. I know some of the halls also have utility rooms with drying racks, clothes lines and ironing boards where you can dry your clothes. There are things that can't be dried in the dryer so they can't ban it altogether.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I can afford a bigger budget, I'm just looking at saving some money for other things. If £40/week a doable, I'll have a go at that for a few weeks and see how I go I suppose :smile:

Yeah, just find what works best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oh-WOW
They technically don't but it's pretty easy to get away with it. Your cleaner comes in the morning and only on weekdays. Just dry your washing after your cleaner comes or at the weekend. By the end of the year, I didn't even bother hiding it from my cleaner and no one cared. I know some of the halls also have utility rooms with drying racks, clothes lines and ironing boards where you can dry your clothes. There are things that can't be dried in the dryer so they can't ban it altogether.

Must depend on the hall-I lived in one for 4 of 5 years and they were tight on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how much the geology field trips typically cost? Or at least, for the 2013-2014 session?
Reply 8228
Pretty sure they don't let you do that in halls.

who's going to know??
Original post by Sambo2
who's going to know??

The little Hitlers known as res managers?
Reply 8230
The little Hitlers known as res managers?

they never caught me!
Reply 8231
Just wondering can we buy NUS card on students' union? I heard that Uni of St Andrews doesn't belong to the NUS. Is this true?? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asami
Just wondering can we buy NUS card on students' union? I heard that Uni of St Andrews doesn't belong to the NUS. Is this true?? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Andrews isn't a member of the NUS, and hasn't been since the 1970s. Last year we had a referendum on membership, the results of which can be found here: http://www.thesaint-online.com/2012/11/st-andrews-votes-no-to-nus-affiliation/

As far as I am aware you can still use your St Andrews student card to get student discounts at most shops that offer them, and if you are so inclined you can purchase an NUS extra card from their website: http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/
Reply 8233
Original post by Asami

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully it is true!
Reply 8234
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
St Andrews isn't a member of the NUS, and hasn't been since the 1970s. Last year we had a referendum on membership, the results of which can be found here: http://www.thesaint-online.com/2012/11/st-andrews-votes-no-to-nus-affiliation/

As far as I am aware you can still use your St Andrews student card to get student discounts at most shops that offer them, and if you are so inclined you can purchase an NUS extra card from their website: http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/

Thank you very much! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8235
I was wondering If £ 87.5 per week is enough for a catered student who loves to spend his money to books/videos ? I don't drink too much but I'd go there with my friends so :smile:

And what would be the cost of me to join 7 societies ? (I'll be getting an extra 100 quid for the first month ) How much do you think would cost all the other extras that would cost for the first month for an international student ? (police registration,a new phone number)

What's the year abroad like?
Original post by Sambo2
Thankfully it is true!

What's wrong with being in NUS?
Original post by Charlaux
I was wondering If £ 87.5 per week is enough for a catered student who loves to spend his money to books/videos ? I don't drink too much but I'd go there with my friends so :smile:

And what would be the cost of me to join 7 societies ? (I'll be getting an extra 100 quid for the first month ) How much do you think would cost all the other extras that would cost for the first month for an international student ? (police registration,a new phone number)

£87.50 per week seems a little much if you're in catered. Do you get 19 meals a week or 14? If you have 19, then you only need about £10 a week for weekend dinners. What kind of books are you into? Amazon offers a 5% discount to students if you have an NUS extra card, and other bookstores and shops will definitely offer discounts for students. Unless you're going to be buying games and videos every week £88 seems like you're overdoing it.

The cost for societies depends on the societies you join. If you want to join 7, I'm assuming it's because you have certain societies in mind. My advice to you would be to check their meeting times to be sure you haven't double, triple or even quadruple booked yourself.

Do you have your own phone? Or do you want to get a new one here? In the UK you have the option of having a contract (where you pay a set amount each month to your provider for a set number of minutes, texts and a specified data bundle) or there is a 'pay as go' option, where you are able to 'top up' your credit when you like. With the contract option you can typically get a phone with it. Contracts range from like £10 and up, depending on the phone. To put it into perspective, an iPhone 4 8GB starts from about £18 a month for a 18/24/36 month contract. If you already have an unlocked phone then you can always just get a sim. Sims are typically free when you buy £10 airtime.

As for other fees, there is the cost of an academic gown, which is about £80 - £138 depending on whether you buy secondhand or new. As well as, textbooks.Textbooks can be expensive! I recommend waiting until you get to St Andrews where you will confirm your modules; however, if you applied to study, for example biology, then there are modules that you simply have to take and you can find the reading list for those books on the library website (http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html). If I were you, I would only buy required texts, secondary reading I'd borrow from the library when needed. What course are you doing? If your doing biology and chemistry you are going to pay lab fees. If you're like me, doing geology (or maybe another geoscience), you have to factor in the cost of field trips (£700!). As I'm British, I can't actually tell you about the police registration fee--I simply don't know--but maybe you could search on-line or ask other international students?

Are covered for Freshers' Week? Do you have a pass or have you bought tickets?
Reply 8239
Original post by 17_and_Clueless
£87.50 per week seems a little much if you're in catered. Do you get 19 meals a week or 14? If you have 19, then you only need about £10 a week for weekend dinners. What kind of books are you into? Amazon offers a 5% discount to students if you have an NUS extra card, and other bookstores and shops will definitely offer discounts for students. Unless you're going to be buying games and videos every week £88 seems like you're overdoing it.

The cost for societies depends on the societies you join. If you want to join 7, I'm assuming it's because you have certain societies in mind. My advice to you would be to check their meeting times to be sure you haven't double, triple or even quadruple booked yourself.

Do you have your own phone? Or do you want to get a new one here? In the UK you have the option of having a contract (where you pay a set amount each month to your provider for a set number of minutes, texts and a specified data bundle) or there is a 'pay as go' option, where you are able to 'top up' your credit when you like. With the contract option you can typically get a phone with it. Contracts range from like £10 and up, depending on the phone. To put it into perspective, an iPhone 4 8GB starts from about £18 a month for a 18/24/36 month contract. If you already have an unlocked phone then you can always just get a sim. Sims are typically free when you buy £10 airtime.

As for other fees, there is the cost of an academic gown, which is about £80 - £138 depending on whether you buy secondhand or new. As well as, textbooks.Textbooks can be expensive! I recommend waiting until you get to St Andrews where you will confirm your modules; however, if you applied to study, for example biology, then there are modules that you simply have to take and you can find the reading list for those books on the library website (http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html). If I were you, I would only buy required texts, secondary reading I'd borrow from the library when needed. What course are you doing? If your doing biology and chemistry you are going to pay lab fees. If you're like me, doing geology (or maybe another geoscience), you have to factor in the cost of field trips (£700!). As I'm British, I can't actually tell you about the police registration fee--I simply don't know--but maybe you could search on-line or ask other international students?

Are covered for Freshers' Week? Do you have a pass or have you bought tickets?

That really helped me a lot thank you :smile:) My societies that i wish to join includes Mermaids,Ice Skating,Design,Mun and Teddy Bear Hospital and Golf to be exact.And about books and stuff I would get a few dvd's and a book from Waterstone's I guess :smile: I I already have a phone but I plan to get a package with mostly the internet coverage only because I can use for skyping everywhere and everytime .Luckily for this year all the book fees and trip fees :smile:) Anyway thanks a lot for this really great advice,I'd spend all my rep points to you :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending