The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by StephenNaulls
My stats have changed from when I posted this.. my Sixth Form is basically saying I can't carry on all 4 to A2 and be predicted A's. So I' be doing Bio Chem and History at A2 and will be predicted AAA, giving me 620 UCAS points prediction. Would I still be safe fro an interview?

Still a very strong candidate, but don't trust me, look at last years stats yourself, I have linked it from the first post on this thread :smile:
Reply 141
Original post by KanKan
Still a very strong candidate, but don't trust me, look at last years stats yourself, I have linked it from the first post on this thread :smile:

Alright, great! People keep saying because I don't have 4 A2 I'm gonna get rejected, I'm guessing this is wrong?
Reply 142
Original post by KanKan

Wait... I'm having a minor freak out. Do Barts consider ANY tariffable qualification? I have:

AAA prediction = 360
Further A at AS = 60
A in EPQ prediction = 60
Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Merit = 80
OCR Level 3 National Certificate at Distinction = 120

So that works out at 680... will they count my EPQ prediction in the tariff and are those qualifications acceptable?
Reply 143
Original post by StephenNaulls
Wait... I'm having a minor freak out. Do Barts consider ANY tariffable qualification? I have:

AAA prediction = 360
Further A at AS = 60
A in EPQ prediction = 60
Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Merit = 80
OCR Level 3 National Certificate at Distinction = 120

So that works out at 680... will they count my EPQ prediction in the tariff and are those qualifications acceptable?

Yes. They'll count all your UCAS points.
Reply 144
Original post by KanKan
Yes. They'll count all your UCAS points.

That's great, thanks for your help :smile:
would 675 ukcat and 620 points be sufficient? That pretty average ukcat i know
Reply 146
Original post by star10159
would 675 ukcat and 620 points be sufficient? That pretty average ukcat i know

Hey, your high UCAS tariff makes up for the score. A mid-range example last year with the same UCAS tariff as you needed 605 in the UKCAT to get an interview :smile:
Hi guys,

How exactly do you calculate UCAS points?

Do you just use the predicted grades for A2 and not include AS grades?
Original post by KanKan
Hey, your high UCAS tariff makes up for the score. A mid-range example last year with the same UCAS tariff as you needed 605 in the UKCAT to get an interview :smile:

So 620 is cossidered a high tariff given that I am only continuing 3 A2s? and should I do 4 A2s for the sake of getting a better tariff or will 620 be ok?
Hi guys,
Im a student studying in Egypt where the only Examination boards we have are EDEXCEL and CAMBRIDGE.

Anyway, I wanted to apply for medicine but im really stressed about my ucas tariff points. Stuff like Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Merit &
OCR Level 3 National Certificate at Distinction

which people have ucas points for really puts me off from applying. In Egypt, we have only THREE years to do IGCSEs and ALEVELS.
Anyway, I was predicting 3 As or A*AA at A LEVEL chemistry biology and Mathematics with a A/B at AS physics. that gives me about 440 tariff points I guess which is pretty low I think even if I meet the requirements. What would you guys suggest for a hopeless student like me. And am I supposed to include the AS grades from the ALEVELS in the ucas tariff points?

Thanks a lot. :confused:
Reply 150
Original post by star10159
So 620 is cossidered a high tariff given that I am only continuing 3 A2s? and should I do 4 A2s for the sake of getting a better tariff or will 620 be ok?

620 is definitely okay :smile: I've only got a score of 530 :L
Original post by Zakariya6991
Hi guys,
Im a student studying in Egypt where the only Examination boards we have are EDEXCEL and CAMBRIDGE.

Anyway, I wanted to apply for medicine but im really stressed about my ucas tariff points. Stuff like Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Merit &
OCR Level 3 National Certificate at Distinction

which people have ucas points for really puts me off from applying. In Egypt, we have only THREE years to do IGCSEs and ALEVELS.
Anyway, I was predicting 3 As or A*AA at A LEVEL chemistry biology and Mathematics with a A/B at AS physics. that gives me about 440 tariff points I guess which is pretty low I think even if I meet the requirements. What would you guys suggest for a hopeless student like me. And am I supposed to include the AS grades from the ALEVELS in the ucas tariff points?

Thanks a lot. :confused:

either get a High UKCAT or not apply to barts
Original post by KanKan
620 is definitely okay :smile: I've only got a score of 530 :L

I suppose no one can tell but do you think the mid range tariff points will increase by a lot this year?
Reply 153
That is excellent news for him. Is he considering UKCAT-heavy universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice one :biggrin: pretty much guaranteed interview :smile:
Reply 155
Hey, could someone please explain the tariff system for Barts Uni to do Medicine.

This is my profile:

GCSE: 9A*
AS: AAAA
A2: Predicted A* A* A*
UKCAT: 823
Other qualifications:
- EPQ (to be completed)
- Grade 7 (Pass) piano ABRSM
- Grade 8 (Distinc) Drama LAMDA
- Grade 8 (Distinc) Public Speaking LAMDA
- Grade 5 Theory (Merit) ABRSM
- CSLA Award
- D of E upto Silver
- AQA Bac

If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated, thanks??
Reply 156
460 UCAS points and 2980 UKCAT. Worth applying?
Hey everyone, sorry for probably sounding incredibly stupid but I'm a bit confused on how the UCAS tarrif points system works. Is your total UCAS tarrif a sum of your A2 predictions and As grades ( and music examinations etc), or just A2 predictions? Because if it is just A2 predictions the predicted UAS tarriff is 360 points for AAA as one A equates to 120 UCAS points, but that is is insufficient for entry to Barts?. So I'm a bit confused there? How do we get predicted 480 points minimum without having to do 4 or more A levels? Again, sorry for sounding stupid.
Reply 158
Original post by Physicsrules23
Hey everyone, sorry for probably sounding incredibly stupid but I'm a bit confused on how the UCAS tarrif points system works. Is your total UCAS tarrif a sum of your A2 predictions and As grades ( and music examinations etc), or just A2 predictions? Because if it is just A2 predictions the predicted UAS tarriff is 360 points for AAA as one A equates to 120 UCAS points, but that is is insufficient for entry to Barts?. So I'm a bit confused there? How do we get predicted 480 points minimum without having to do 4 or more A levels? Again, sorry for sounding stupid.

If you did 4 AS's you get the UCAS points for the subject you cashed in. Also, any other tariff able qualifications are used- that is your EPQ, OCR Nationals, ASDANS, Music examinations etc. if you have these then you will probably be above the tariff with three A2, but otherwise you will have to continue with 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Original post by lindseyyy
Hey, could someone please explain the tariff system for Barts Uni to do Medicine.

This is my profile:

GCSE: 9A*
AS: AAAA
A2: Predicted A* A* A*
UKCAT: 823
Other qualifications:
- EPQ (to be completed)
- Grade 7 (Pass) piano ABRSM
- Grade 8 (Distinc) Drama LAMDA
- Grade 8 (Distinc) Public Speaking LAMDA
- Grade 5 Theory (Merit) ABRSM
- CSLA Award
- D of E upto Silver
- AQA Bac

If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated, thanks??

Go onto the UCAS tariff tables. A simple Google search will reveal this for you. If your qualifications add up to 460 including A2 predictions and any AS you cash in (which you should get with all of these Music qualifications) you will probably be guaranteed an interview looking at your UKCAT score. Last year 3,120 total score was enough for an interview with a 460 tariff prediction I think, so I guess you're pretty safe.

The admissions stats are on the website for you to check this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest