The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlaux
That really helped me a lot thank you :smile:) My societies that i wish to join includes Mermaids,Ice Skating,Design,Mun and Teddy Bear Hospital and Golf to be exact.And about books and stuff I would get a few dvd's and a book from Waterstone's I guess :smile: I I already have a phone but I plan to get a package with mostly the internet coverage only because I can use for skyping everywhere and everytime .Luckily for this year all the book fees and trip fees :smile:) Anyway thanks a lot for this really great advice,I'd spend all my rep points to you :h:

No problem! You said you're international, where are you from? That is quite a mix of societies. If you preferred to keep your phone then you can pick up a sim from Carphone Warehouse in St Andrews. You can get an internet plan with some pay as you go sims. I currently have one with O2, and I know other networks have that option too. Check this link out: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/price-plans/sim-only/pay-as-you-go/regular-sims; it'll give you more information. :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
What is the white t shirt event? Little bit confused, seems to be so much stuff that I don't know about!!!!!! :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8242
Original post by 17_and_Clueless
No problem! You said you're international, where are you from? That is quite a mix of societies. If you preferred to keep your phone then you can pick up a sim from Carphone Warehouse in St Andrews. You can get an internet plan with some pay as you go sims. I currently have one with O2, and I know other networks have that option too. Check this link out: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/price-plans/sim-only/pay-as-you-go/regular-sims; it'll give you more information. :smile:

I'll be coming from Turkey for the foundation program.When I arrive I plan to buy a bonsai (hope they'd accept a small one) and a book and a dvd I guess.I was wondering do you know any shop in St.Andrews that sells dvd ?

Thanks once again :tongue:
Original post by Charlaux
I'll be coming from Turkey for the foundation program.When I arrive I plan to buy a bonsai (hope they'd accept a small one) and a book and a dvd I guess.I was wondering do you know any shop in St.Andrews that sells dvd ?

Thanks once again :tongue:

I've only been to St Andrews once (yesterday actually :biggrin:), but I'm sure you could buy DVDs in Sainsbury's. Argos might have a few too, but since they're closing this September I'd pick up what you need before then. Alternatively, there's always Amazon. :smile:
Reply 8244
What's wrong with being in NUS?

For a University like St Andrews it offers very poor value for money and 'representation' which is driven mostly by a bunch of lefties at far larger Universities. St Andrews would have no real input if it was to join and would be forced to pay large sums of money for services we already provide ourselves. Also some of the NUS's actions in recent years have been frankly embarrassing...!
Original post by Sambo2
For a University like St Andrews it offers very poor value for money and 'representation' which is driven mostly by a bunch of lefties at far larger Universities. St Andrews would have no real input if it was to join and would be forced to pay large sums of money for services we already provide ourselves. Also some of the NUS's actions in recent years have been frankly embarrassing...!

I love how you put this.
I'm a study abroad student whose debating buying tickets for some of the Fresher's Week Events, but I feel a bit awkward about going to something like a dance club or formal event without knowing anyone. Are these events awkward if you're alone, are they good/bad opportunities to meet people?
Reply 8247
Is there any possible way to find funding for my accommodation and living costs?

I come from a household income of under £5000 pa, Croatian/EU citizen (and Bosnian, but I'm applying as an EU citizen, for obvious financial reasons). I know EU students are expected to finance themselves, but, as you can see, that is quite impossible in my case. :rolleyes: For what it's worth, I have been predicted 44 (+7) points in the IB and had As in Gymnasium (kind of like British Grammar schools). I also have a bunch of extracurriculars (but I've been told they don't matter much in Britain, right?). As for UKCAT, I am exempt, but will that take away from my application?

I know about that 1 full scholarship that includes accommodation, living costs and even a return airplane ticket, but that is 1 scholarship for all the UK/EU students and I don't think I should be getting my hopes up. My wish is to study medicine in the UK, but that seems more unlikely by the moment. :frown:
Any suggestions about possible sources of funding? I would be really grateful for some help!
Is it true there's a gay bar coming to St. As?
Original post by Sic
Is there any possible way to find funding for my accommodation and living costs?

I come from a household income of under £5000 pa, Croatian/EU citizen (and Bosnian, but I'm applying as an EU citizen, for obvious financial reasons). I know EU students are expected to finance themselves, but, as you can see, that is quite impossible in my case. :rolleyes: For what it's worth, I have been predicted 44 (+7) points in the IB and had As in Gymnasium (kind of like British Grammar schools). I also have a bunch of extracurriculars (but I've been told they don't matter much in Britain, right?). As for UKCAT, I am exempt, but will that take away from my application?

I know about that 1 full scholarship that includes accommodation, living costs and even a return airplane ticket, but that is 1 scholarship for all the UK/EU students and I don't think I should be getting my hopes up. My wish is to study medicine in the UK, but that seems more unlikely by the moment. :frown:
Any suggestions about possible sources of funding? I would be really grateful for some help!

I think you have a healthy balance, which is definitely good. I'm sure universities do take that into consideration--I know when I was interviewed for Imperial the lecturer was pleased that I had been predicted high IB grades whilst being actively involved in my school and local community. Extracurricular activities are in your favour!

I can't say anything about UKCAT, because I simply do not know, but what I do know is that St Andrews does offer scholarships to international students. You should check their website for details. You can always search online for scholarships from private organisations and groups. Your government may even offer scholarships - you never know until you check.

You also have the option of getting a job. Not during the IB--goodness knows the IB is time-consuming already--but over the summer. You can also work part-time during your degree to help with costs.
I think you have a healthy balance, which is definitely good. I'm sure universities do take that into consideration--I know when I was interviewed for Imperial the lecturer was pleased that I had been predicted high IB grades whilst being actively involved in my school and local community. Extracurricular activities are in your favour!

I can't say anything about UKCAT, because I simply do not know, but what I do know is that St Andrews does offer scholarships to international students. You should check their website for details. You can always search online for scholarships from private organisations and groups. Your government may even offer scholarships - you never know until you check.

You also have the option of getting a job. Not during the IB--goodness knows the IB is time-consuming already--but over the summer. You can also work part-time during your degree to help with costs.

I think I'll point out that a lot of unis realise extra curriculars IB students do count for CAS and some are under the impression they therefore do not count (I'm an IB grad too wooooo)
Original post by Sic
I also have a bunch of extracurriculars (but I've been told they don't matter much in Britain, right?). As for UKCAT, I am exempt, but will that take away from my application?

Can't say much about your other points, but extra currics. are definitely important for Medicine. If you're exempt from the UKCAT then they can't really penalise you for it (why are you exempt?).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lizzykins
I'm a study abroad student whose debating buying tickets for some of the Fresher's Week Events, but I feel a bit awkward about going to something like a dance club or formal event without knowing anyone. Are these events awkward if you're alone, are they good/bad opportunities to meet people?

You won't be completely alone. There will be an opportunity to meet people in your hall and along your corridor. Buy tickets for events that you want to go to, and you can always ask your roommate or your neighbours if they'd like to go with you. Besides, if you're alone you have all the more reason to meet new people, so don't worry. :biggrin:
Original post by Calllu-m
I think I'll point out that a lot of unis realise extra curriculars IB students do count for CAS and some are under the impression they therefore do not count (I'm an IB grad too wooooo)

Well that sucks.

Hello fellow IB grad! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8254
Original post by Calllu-m
Is it true there's a gay bar coming to St. As?

I think it's a gay club night rather than a gay bar.
Well that sucks.

Hello fellow IB grad! :biggrin:

Certainly when I went to Durham and mentioned my extra curricular they said I suppose this is just for CAS then -_- like it didnt count or something
Original post by Oh-WOW
I think it's a gay club night rather than a gay bar.

Cool thanks
Hello! Thanks so much for creating this thread, it looks really helpful, and it's always insightful to hear what the STUDENTS have to say about the university.

1) I was wondering if you knew anybody that had done the MA in Sustainable Development in St Andrews, and if they did, what they thought of it. I'm considering applying there with that course, but the trouble is, I don't know if it's really suited for me, if it's my vocation. What makes it harder is that overall it's quite a new course, and not many universities offer it, would that be a sign it's unrealistic to study it?

2) Have any of you come to St Andrews from the UE and France in particular? I'm asking this because I can't find an equivalent of the expected grades on the website if you're sitting the OIB (Option Internationale du Baccalauréat).

Thank you so much (:
Reply 8257
Question about timetabling: what happens when your compulsory modules clash?
Reply 8258
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Can't say much about your other points, but extra currics. are definitely important for Medicine. If you're exempt from the UKCAT then they can't really penalise you for it (why are you exempt?).

On geographic grounds. I'm currently living in Bosnia, where there is no test centers (and also none in the bordering countries). Guess I could go to Hungary to take the test, but even that would currently be quite financially strenuous for me.
Original post by kb5462
Question about timetabling: what happens when your compulsory modules clash?

Which subjects are looking at?

Latest

Trending

Trending