The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It sums it up that Hernandez and De Gea were the only two players who came out of that with some credit, the former was a substitute let's not forget.

Where to start.

When I got told Young was in for Rooney, I was like "Oh, OK, maybe Young will go the right where he produced some decent crosses against Chelsea on Monday, Welbeck on the left and Kagawa behind RVP". Then my hopes fell when I heard Giggs was included. As doggy said above, he, at the age of 39, should not be playing in this sort of game, no where near. Sure, at home against one of the promoted sides or as a sub if we need to finish off a game then sure but Liverpool probably thought they could get in and around us with Giggs. And to shove him on the right, was an error, would rather have had Young there.

Liverpool won the game in the first 20 minutes. Besides that chance we had straight from kick-off, which should have been a template of how we needed to perform (quickly), we dropped back and Liverpool scored a goal that wasn't greatly defended by Rio and Evra losing Struridge abit too easily. The defenders, Clevs and Carrick wanted to take 2-3 touches on the ball rather than up the tempo and work out from the back quicker which allowed Liverpool great incentive to press. The rest of match turned scrappy and we just failed to hold onto the ball and never troubled Mignolet until Hernandez came on and did what he does best, use his movement very well.

A draw would have been a fair result considering DDG was hardly tested until the end but Liverpool won it early on.

Moyes' post-match comments are utterly disappointing and infuriating. At Everton, he was more honest but at United, managing the champions, he is following the method of not publicly criticising his team (which SAF would probably have done) but even privately, he should be looking at his own decisions he made rather than overly slamming the players.

I can take losing when we've given it out all but to lose 1-0, when we've played badly and bad decisions have been made manager and players, becomes even more frustrating.

We are in for a very tough season if there are no incomings.

In a way, it's hard to blame Moyes for our midfield shortcomings when the work should have been layed on by his predecessor. Moyes' coming in and within a short space of time, trying to find players to paper over some cracks (Fellaini).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9321
Original post by Straight up G
Is this talking about Giggs? Disgraceful way to talk about a legend of your club and of football in general. Out of order mate. If he's getting picked it's Moyes' fault, not his own.

Legends age gracefully. This guy is not, I respect his play from when he was good I assure you but not I'm just like yoga isn't doing the job, please retire.
Reply 9322
I agree that he shouldn't be playing for you, but it's through no fault of his own, surely? If he's getting picked then you can hardly blame him for it. Regardless of the circumstances, a guy that's played for you 944 times shouldn't be called Bus Pass.

What's it to you? If they wanna disrespect an absolute LEGEND of United, let them. Even as a Liverpool fan, I know what a great servant he was/is for United and the Prem. League and even I wouldn't disrespect him like that. It's Moyes' fault for picking him anyway people.
Think some fans need to calm down. Liverpool were just as crap Infact we controlled the game second half and made a couple of good chances especially the van Persie one that should have gone in.

Moyes got it wrong by playing giggs and not having kagawa. Apart from that utd weren't totally abysmal. 3 games into the league season and we haven't done too badly. I still think he will
Add a few
Players by tommorow evening.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
He sounds so much like the Hodge :rofl2:

Thats exactly what I thought aswell. :rofl2:
Original post by ManL_Olu
Lol #moyesout is trending .. Not suprised but he does need ALOT more time , Lol istill cant understand for the life of me why giggs was played on the wing cant even take no positives anyhow
#InMoyesWeTru.... Wait no #InMoyesWeHope

We have played much worse at a field before than today. Only thing lacking was more chances.
Original post by ALZ-93
What's it to you? If they wanna disrespect an absolute LEGEND of United, let them. Even as a Liverpool fan, I know what a great servant he was/is for United and the Prem. League and even I wouldn't disrespect him like that. It's Moyes' fault for picking him anyway people.

Just making a point man haha, I agree with what you said ofc
Original post by Cable
No Kagawa :sigh:

Giggs starting :sigh:

Jones at RB :sigh:

Nani not given a run of games prior to this match, then being expected to perform miracles as a sub :sigh:

No creativity, no clue going forward :sigh:

Losing to those bin dipping scousers :sigh:

Moyes, I am disappoint.

Who would you prefer at right back?
The amount of wannabe managers/kneejerk comments in here is laughable, im surprised there aren't more wums in here. This was always going to be a tough game and wont define our season, remember SAF always struggled at Anfield too.
Original post by member9876
Liverpool were just as crap

That is definitely true, but it will be ignored because we lost. I laughed at the commentary team asking how far this Liverpool team can go. They did nothing all game. We were poor offensively, but we had the ball and didn't have 10/11 behind the ball for 45 minutes.
Original post by NathanW18
They did nothing all game.

Apart from...well you know...the goal.

I just hope you guys give Moyes a fair run at least.
Original post by sr90
The amount of wannabe managers/kneejerk comments in here is laughable, im surprised there aren't more wums in here. This was always going to be a tough game and wont define our season, remember SAF always struggled at Anfield too.

Ferguson was never a tactical genius. His success in his later years stemmed from his influence over the team and his mentality/ability to get his side over the line. Ferguson undoubtedly made some dodgy decisions, but he would often hold his hands up.

Moyes is proving that he is not a tactical genius, nor is he particularly great at getting his sides over the line and seems like a puppet. He is not a better manager than X manager at X mid table premier league club in my book.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
Apart from...well you know...the goal.

I just hope you guys give Moyes a fair run at least.

Well, obviously. I didn't feel the need to type that out. Apart from the goal, they didn't do anything. They sat back and defended all match.

This match wouldn't have been any different with Sir Alex here. The same team would have played. Valencia may have started over Young, but that doesn't change anything. Tactically, we play the same way. Van Persie just didn't really get any chances.

Our gameplan is to cross into a crowded box and if that doesn't work, Van Persie has to do something special.
(edited 10 years ago)
Poor performance, fine. We did miss our second most important player through injury though. And a trip to Anfield is always one of the toughest matches of the season no matter what the circumstances are. But we were poor.

Still, four points from Swansea away, Chelsea home and Liverpool away. Most people would take that. But again, we were poor.

Hopefully Moyes can see that the likes of Welbeck, Young, Giggs and Cleverley(if a midfielder comes in tomorrow) do not deserve a play in the starting XI for the next match. Hopefully Nani and Kagawa come into the side. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to realise how talented these two are. Give them a chance at least. I'm sure Moyes will.

Hopefully our front six will look like this for the next match, if Rooney is back...

Carrick - Clevs/New signing
Nani - Rooney - Kagawa
Van Persie

If Rooney's still injured, then Kagawa central, Nani on the left and Valencia on the right.
Reply 9334
Original post by manchesterunited15
Who would you prefer at right back?

I would have preferred Valencia. Jones is poor going forward at RB. And it's not like Jones would have done a much better job than Valencia defensively at RB.

I just found out that Nani had previously been injured. So I take back my criticism against Moyes regarding Nani.

If Zaha was fit, I would have started him over Giggs. If not, then Kagawa should have been on the bench to come on for Giggs around half-time.

I would have subbed on Hernandez for Welbeck earlier in the 2nd half.

I suppose the loss is not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't expecting you to challenge for the title anyway. As long as you beat the weak teams, you should finish in the top 3 comfortably.
Reply 9335
anyone else think that moyes was slightly two reactive today?

largely he had one big decision to make tactically and that was how to deal with coutinho who plays left wing but cuts in. He could either A) attack down that side forcing coutinho back or Rodgers to make a change or B) put giggs on the right who could drift in and mark him. Sadly he chose to do the latter meaning that young had to play on the left where he was largely ineffective because he cant beat a man on that side and kept getting turned onto his right foot.
Seen Moyes's post match interview, and he is delusional. Doubt he'll criticise the team all season.
What a dull game from both sides.

We missed Rooney after the way he played on Monday night.
The only reason Liverpool were a bit more sedate than usual was because they had an early lead and had the confidence in their defence, knowing that they'd be able to hold it. If they attacked more they could have scored more, but Coutinho only got the ball in advanced positions 3/4 times in the whole game. In the second half, Sturridge fairly regularly got the ball in a threatening position only to not take the gamble, and just play it safely back, keeping hold of the ball. Liverpool also came into the game with something approaching a defensive crisis, with their first choice out injured, the second choice playing with an injury, and the new signing not completed in time to play, so they were well within their rights to sit back and hold out for the win. It's not even like you were camped just outside our box, you just resorted repeatedly to crossing from the deep.

At the end of the day, anyone criticising Liverpool can f off, we got our early goal and then pulled off our game plan to perfection. ****test performance from a United team at Anfield that I've seen in my life time probably. You offered **** all, **** all. 0 points, and a match straight out of Moyes' portfolio of abysmal performances at Anfield, worrying signs for you lot.
At the end of the day, anyone criticising Liverpool can f off, we got our early goal and then pulled off our game plan to perfection. ****test performance from a United team at Anfield that I've seen in my life time probably. You offered **** all, **** all. 0 points, and a match straight out of Moyes' portfolio of abysmal performances at Anfield, worrying signs for you lot.

Cool Story. Playing like that won't work all season. I guess the boom bust cycle is underway.

Latest