The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
What modules did you take?

Do you know how in depth the physics module is? I see that it is 'Physics with ICT' as opposed to just physics for the first semester module, so would I be right in guessing it is slightly less in depth than the other modules, maths, chemistry and biology?

I have a feeling I always found biology easiest of all three sciences, but that was based on GCSE level science that I didn't work for at all. However I think I may be better doing chemistry and physics despite these two being the ones I would find harder.

I dropped Physics in my second semester.

Physics was fine to me even though I hadn't done anything physics related since GCSE - which was like 5 years before I went to university. There is barely any ICT in it, just enough for statistical analysis of a physics practical.

What you choose depends on what course you want to take after foundation.

Original post by jadek1992
Hello, need your help guys! Basically I did a national diploma in animal management and got only a PPM. I didn't put any work in at all. It had biology sections and also chemistry. I have no idea what I want to do but I know I want it to be science related especially biology! Is a foundation right for me? I literally have no clue how to even start looking or what I need to search for! Reading all your comments makes me think this is the right choice! Thanks! Jade

If you don't have the grades to get onto biology then yes, foundation might be a good idea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Jakelee
I dropped Physics in my second semester.

Physics was fine to me even though I hadn't done anything physics related since GCSE - which was like 5 years before I went to university. There is barely any ICT in it, just enough for statistical analysis of a physics practical.

What you choose depends on what course you want to take after foundation.

I'm just worried about the content of the course given the context, the fact that it is a essentially a 5 month course, excluding private study outside of class time obviously, but in terms of actual teaching it is 2x10weeks of classroom/lectures?

What did you think of the actual teaching by the way? Did you find it good or did you find yourself needing to self-teach more than you thought you should have/planned on?

Is it made up mostly of large lectures or smaller classroom type tutorials?
Will I Beatle to get in with just a ppm tho?! This is what I'm worried about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be able* oops autocorrect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im looking into doing a foundation year in science or an access to higher education as i really want to go to uni, but i don't have a levels. The science foundation course at UEA, what can you then go onto do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauren-marie2
Im looking into doing a foundation year in science or an access to higher education as i really want to go to uni, but i don't have a levels. The science foundation course at UEA, what can you then go onto do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty much anything in their science department. It really depends in what modules you select and what grades you get in them.

Post number 276, which is on page 14 has a link to the course induction booklet which contains the information on the courses you can study and what modules/grades are needed etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

your still expected to have a level 3 qualification like A-Levels to apply, you can't just apply with GCSEs.
Original post by bestofyou
you sure? I thought they would have admitted mature students without A-levels or equivalent?

possibly but under entry requirements they ask for 3 C's at A-Level or the equivalent in other exams.
Reply 288
Original post by jadek1992
Will I Beatle to get in with just a ppm tho?! This is what I'm worried about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Email admissions.

Original post by jelly1000
your still expected to have a level 3 qualification like A-Levels to apply, you can't just apply with GCSEs.

I think you can but you need to have been working in a related field for some time, e.g. pharm tech wants to become a pharmacist kind of thing.
Reply 289
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I'm just worried about the content of the course given the context, the fact that it is a essentially a 5 month course, excluding private study outside of class time obviously, but in terms of actual teaching it is 2x10weeks of classroom/lectures?

What did you think of the actual teaching by the way? Did you find it good or did you find yourself needing to self-teach more than you thought you should have/planned on?

Is it made up mostly of large lectures or smaller classroom type tutorials?

If you've got a good work ethic you'll be fine. I worked hard, got drunk (on the weekend anyway), joined sports clubs and societies and got almost 80%.....

It was about 20 hours a week contact, if you're going to university you really need to be prepared to do private study anyway. You will work harder than other undergrads though.

I thought the teaching was pretty good, apart from physics but that's because the proper guy got ill and they had to get one of the chemistry people to cover it. Still did well though.

Mixture - lectures for bio / chem / physics / maths knowledge - smaller groups for the associated workshops. Maths is assessed at the start and you're put into an group based on your maths ability.

I have a level 3 in child care and i got triple distinction, so I'm guessing that must count?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a level 3 in child care and i got triple distinction, so I'm guessing that must count?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would guess so but its always worth checking with admissions
Reply 292
My daughter didn`t apply to UEA as we live so close, but she got 2 unconditional offers for science foundation years with her CACHE in child care. Aberystwyth and Anglia Ruskin.
As said above, email admissions and ask if it is suitable.
Original post by Matureb
My daughter didn`t apply to UEA as we live so close, but she got 2 unconditional offers for science foundation years with her CACHE in child care. Aberystwyth and Anglia Ruskin.
As said above, email admissions and ask if it is suitable.

Oh thank you. Yeah i will its equivalent to three a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 294
So.. anyone else on here in group Z?
Hey, was wondering what anyone whose finished did about accommodation? I was planning to go into halls again but I can't see where to apply again, the standard form online just says my application has been sent from last year
Original post by Sam_Prudence
Hey, was wondering what anyone whose finished did about accommodation? I was planning to go into halls again but I can't see where to apply again, the standard form online just says my application has been sent from last year

You can't go into halls again if you were there for your foundation year
You can't go into halls again if you were there for your foundation year

I met someone in halls who was on the foundation year last year?
& I live with some second and third years who have been in halls as well
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sam_Prudence
I met someone in halls who was on the foundation year last year?

You said 'anyone whose finished' and 'I was planning to go into halls again' which implied that you had already done the foundation year and were now trying to apply for a place in halls for your first year and you can only have one year in halls.
You said 'anyone whose finished' and 'I was planning to go into halls again' which implied that you had already done the foundation year and were now trying to apply for a place in halls for your first year and you can only have one year in halls.

I'm doing the foundation year at the moment and was planning on going into halls next year, i wasn't aware of that? I met someone whose finished their foundation year and is staying in halls for a second year this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending