The Student Room Group

What age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

Simple question, what age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

Im turning 24 soon and still live at home, with no sign of moving out anytime soon, I imagine I'll be living at home for years to come (seriously, I'm not joking). Anyone in the same boat?

I hate living at home, and feel like a child, and feel left behind other people my age who have moved out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not weird at all, people have different circumstances (can't afford to move out)
Reply 2
Original post by bloomblaze
Simple question, what age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

Im turning 24 soon and still live at home, with no sign of moving out anytime soon, I imagine I'll be living at home for years to come (seriously, I'm not joking). Anyone in the same boat?

I hate living at home, and feel like a child, and feel left behind other people my age who have moved out.

It depends, personally I feel that 24 is rather old to still live at home... do you not have any ambition to leave home?

I'm 19 at the moment but still living at home due to studying my A Levels (took 2 years off at 16 to work) but I want to leave as soon as possible and plan on never moving back once I go to university in 2014. It's not that my family isn't wonderful or I don't like where I live its just I want my independance.
Reply 3
I also live at home at the moment, I'm about 20 so I guess that's a little more socially acceptable, but I don't think people will judge you as much for living at home as they would for you expecting to still be mollycoddled by your parents (which at 24 imo is probably not healthy). The way the economy is at the moment it's probably the sensible thing to do, provided you're still your own person and trying to deal with adult responsibilities at least.

As long as you don't still lurk there in your forties, turn into Principal Skinner getting harassed by his controlling mum and never ask Ms Krabappel out in case Mother disapproves, I think you'll be fine :P
Never hurts to learn independent skills too of course (cooking, driving, career, money and time management, self-improvement etc.), that's what I should be doing :P
I'm 23 and I'd love to move out but things aren't that simple or financially viable. I completely understand your feelings though because I can get frustrated by it all. My sister still lives with us as well and she's 29.
Reply 5
It shouldn't matter what other people do or think.
Reply 6
It really doesn't matter, but unfortunately, there is a ridiculous social stigma for it. Particularly males. Just work hard and do whatever you have to do until you can afford to move out. Don't let others hold you down :smile: Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by Coxy124
It depends, personally I feel that 24 is rather old to still live at home... do you not have any ambition to leave home?

I'm 19 at the moment but still living at home due to studying my A Levels (took 2 years off at 16 to work) but I want to leave as soon as possible and plan on never moving back once I go to university in 2014. It's not that my family isn't wonderful or I don't like where I live its just I want my independance.

Well it's nice to have these ambitions for the future. But once reality hits and you finish university, struggling to earn a decent salary you may re-think not moving back home.
Reply 8
Original post by meenu89
It shouldn't matter what other people do or think.

+1 so true. Not everyone has the same living situations so that's why it's necessary to live with parents.
I don't really think it matters but I guess a lot of people would say when you can afford to live away, but don't.
Reply 10
Average age of first-time home buyers in London is 37! Makes sense to live at home (if you can) rather than rent- and save the money to afford a mortgage earlier.
Reply 11
Original post by Cryl
It really doesn't matter, but unfortunately, there is a ridiculous social stigma for it. Particularly males. Just work hard and do whatever you have to do until you can afford to move out. Don't let others hold you down :smile: Good luck.

I agree about the social stigma.

It seems that young people are in some kind of rat race to move out asap.
I don't live with my parents, they live with me! :tongue:

Just kidding, I moved out at 18 but don't think it's weird as long as you are being productive and paying your own way. My bro is nearly 27 and hasn't moved out because he's a loser (no, seriously) and has admitted he's there for the cooking/cleaning. Does not pay bills or rent and my mum lets him get away with anything. She gives him an allowance and everything! He spends all his money on his gambling addiction and is a general pain in the bum. If your circumstances are anything like his, yes, it's wrong and you ought to be ashamed.

However, if you are at home for genuine reasons then that its completely fine. There is nothing wrong with it per se.

My mum has already said when she gets old and if she can't live alone then she wants to move in with me. I'm alright with that providing I have a big enough place.
Reply 13
Original post by Kubed
Average age of first-time home buyers in London is 37! Makes sense to live at home (if you can) rather than rent- and save the money to afford a mortgage earlier.

Im quite sure they arent actually living at home until 37. theyd probably be renting until 37
Don't worry about other people think and just do what suits you.

I'm 22 and just graduated. I'm back home with my parents for now. I want to stay at home for a bit to get my driving license and generally perk up (as I think I might have been a bit depressed during uni) and it doesn't bother me. Don't worry about what other people think.
Reply 15
Original post by Ripper-Roo
+1 so true. Not everyone has the same living situations so that's why it's necessary to live with parents.

I have a cousin who is married, lives at home and pays all the household bills. My Dad did the same, he left never home, and until I got married I lived at home too.
(edited 10 years ago)
For myself, I can't imagine living at home past the age of 20/21.

However, not everyone wants to move out straight away or can afford to so I don't think living at home past that age is in any way weird.

My friend's uncle was still living at home aged 35 and his parents actually moved out and left him in their old home so he wouldn't live with them any more. Now that is weird.
Reply 17
Original post by bloomblaze
Im quite sure they arent actually living at home until 37. theyd probably be renting until 37

Yeh I know but if you can cope with living at home for a while longer (rather than renting), it's more likely you'll be able to own a home before the age of 37!
Reply 18
Id say about 27
Reply 19
something that makes it hard for me to move out is that I'd have no one to share with ie i'd be having to rent a place by myself (or pay a mortgage by myself), which is expensive for one person

Latest

Trending

Trending