The Student Room Group

Civil Service Apprenticeship

Any one else applied?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for a Civil Service Job, but the question is pretty vague. :P

Mine's to do with business administration, how about you?
Mine was an apprenticeship for 18-21's, two years training and then you can apply for graduate jobs as far as I'm aware. But yes, also on the business admin side if things. Just done my second set of online tests
Ah, well once you get to the interview stage, it's pretty straightforward.

They do take a long time to actually tell you if you've been successful or not. I know this from personal experience and others who have had the same problem.

I was successful and it still took around 2-3 months, so make sure you're doing something else whilst waiting, e.g. looking around just in-case you do not get the job.

I hope you get the job though and I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Those of you thinking about, applying for, or who are about to start a civil service apprenticeship may be interested in this article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/public-leaders-network/2013/jul/15/how-to-be-civil-service-apprentice
Reply 5
Got the job. Anyone else?
Reply 6
DWP, West Midlands
I still haven't been given a start date yet, has anybody else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've heard from a few places that the start date is 16th September but I have no idea where I'm going to be based at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've heard most of these are 16th Sept start and then there will be a big induction event for Apprentices and their managers (maybe in London?). Some apprentices may still not have their security and on-boarding cleared yet so those may start later. Your actual Apprenticeship Qualification won't start until January of 2014 whihc gives you enough time to settle into your departments.
Reply 9
Original post by YouthOpps
I've heard most of these are 16th Sept start and then there will be a big induction event for Apprentices and their managers (maybe in London?). Some apprentices may still not have their security and on-boarding cleared yet so those may start later. Your actual Apprenticeship Qualification won't start until January of 2014 whihc gives you enough time to settle into your departments.

Have you heard any other information?
I feel quite out of the loop as there hasn't been much communication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by elcamino
Have you heard any other information?
I feel quite out of the loop as there hasn't been much communication.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes the whole process seems long winded and pretty slow.
One of our candidates was given their contract of employment today for a role in London. If I hear anything more I'll post it on here or announce via Twitter.
I'm working in HMRC in Manchester!

Still completing the pre-employment checks though, have also heard about some kind of trip to London for the "official launching" of the apprenticeship, think my manager thought it was around October time.

Also starting the 16th of Sept.
Reply 12
Original post by ReadMyMind
I got an email yesterday saying all pre employment checks have been done and I'm security cleared. I start on 2 September! Anyone else got their start date? The thing about a big induction event sounds good!

I had a phone call today confirming where I'll be working and my start date which is 16th September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Has anyone got a contract of employment yet. I.E via paper form not email; with a signature on the contract from your department. I've seen and recruited lots of people over the year and never have I seen a "backward thinking" recruitment and on-boarding process! It's astonishing!!

I guess it's a testament* to what the Civil Service stands for and what you may experience once in there.

*sarcasm
No I've had no contact yet either.
Original post by YouthOpps
Has anyone got a contract of employment yet. I.E via paper form not email; with a signature on the contract from your department. I've seen and recruited lots of people over the year and never have I seen a "backward thinking" recruitment and on-boarding process! It's astonishing!!

I guess it's a testament* to what the Civil Service stands for and what you may experience once in there.

*sarcasm

In my email from my department, it stated that it is the department's procedure not to issue an offer or contact letter until at least 8 weeks into joining. I found this quite strange.
Does anyone know anything about what hours they're working or anything about flexi yet?
Original post by charlottegreen95
Does anyone know anything about what hours they're working or anything about flexi yet?

They said to me they'd 'negotiate' and set an agreement on the first day
Is this still open? Can someone please post the link?

thanks
Reply 19
Original post by Kutie Karen
Is this still open? Can someone please post the link?

thanks

Unfortuntely it's not open. It will open around April 2014 for September 2014 intake. These are all permanent posts in the Civil Service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending