The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Herrera left out of squad today
Original post by member9876
Herrera left out of squad today

He was on the bench but wasn't used. €36m is a whole lot of money. We didn't even bid that high for Cesc! Would he really become our record signing?
Phil Jones injured again.

Every match he always falls awkwardly, I don't know what it is with him.

I hope he doesn't recover before Rafael. Jones is an atrocious RB. Hopefully he will never play there again.
Original post by trickz
@SkyBet
Fifteen minutes after opening the market on #Kagawa , PSG have moved in from 8/1 to evens to secure his signature tomorrow.

Odds mean absolutely nothing. Remember when Liverpool were odds on to sign Ribery a few years back? Or when bets were suspended on Suarez joining Arsenal? Complete non story.
Kagawa going to Paris, might be international break related? Not a clue who Japan are playing but he might just be getting a flight to his destination. Assume a trip to Japan isn't to be the shortest so he's probably breaking down his travel.

An article that sums up today's performance but without the blunt criticism of the decision to play Giggs but pointed words about Young. Young should be shipped out if he has a poor season, a decent domestic player but not of the quality, consistently, that we require.
Original post by Aky786UK
Kagawa going to Paris, might be international break related? Not a clue who Japan are playing but he might just be getting a flight to his destination. Assume a trip to Japan isn't to be the shortest so he's probably breaking down his travel.

An article that sums up today's performance but without the blunt criticism of the decision to play Giggs but pointed words about Young. Young should be shipped out if he has a poor season, a decent domestic player but not of the quality, consistently, that we require.

They're playing in Japan, so stopping off in Paris would be fairly pointless you'd think.
Original post by manchesterunited15
They're playing in Japan, so stopping off in Paris would be fairly pointless you'd think.

You can't get a direct flight from Manchester to Japan, probably catching a connection from Paris
Reply 9387
Original post by NathanW18
I disagree, but if the manager thinks that, he needs to go out and buy a player like Nani. Maybe even two. If our game is going to be based on the wings, we have to at least have wingers that are good.

I think we need to invest in new wingers for sure, and I'd love to see Moyes let Zaha flourish, I think he is an incredible talent who can mature early with good training and a run of games. I still think Young is a good player who just needs to find form, but his time is running out. Valencia was at one point our best player and the most consistent high performer. But look at him now, boring, unreliable and one dimensional. We have been poor at adding talent. Chelsea got ahead with Hazard and Oscar, who are two wonderful players. We need to be more forceful in the transfer market. To be honest. I believe our last title came from good performances but also poor competition. But that has changed this year, or if not will for sure next year. We need to step up. Not to say we cannot succeed with the squad we do, we have talent. It's just poor performances from the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No doubts that Kagawa is staying.

Not looking forward to tomorrow tbh.
Anyway, if I haven't said so already, I think 2(not one) signings in CM are needed to perfect the team, watching barca, fabregas and iniesta were able to drive the ball in the centre, control the tempo of a game and their movement were sublime(well in the first half at least) and that seemed to be one thing you really lacked today. This affects your attacking impetus, and while young passing back to goal instead of doing that same cutback skill he does to get in front of his man and failing was annoying; I noticed that there was nobody for him to pass to a lot of the time(although he was too negative) but there was no drive and the link between midfield and attack was non existent which leaded to a real lack of service. Notice how many clear or half chances RVP had this game, we know how clinical the guy is, yet he had little to no chances to convert.

Tottenham suffered from the same thing today btw, although that was probably down to even more tactical naivety than moyes did.

Firstly before I talk about CM's I'd say that rooney was a sore miss(who sorts out your midfield-attack transition to an extent and tbh would be better in CM than cleverley tbh), and if kagawa was fit and wasn't in the squad then moyes needs a slap. There was no energy whatsoever in midfield, essentially you played with two players in midfield recirculating possession when one only needs to do that job(carrick) and having two just killed the tempo of the game. Add that to wingers who don't take on their men(bar nani who's obviously not match fit but offered more than giggs, valencia and young combined) I don't even want to talk about giggs, but for the good of the squad he needs to learn from neville and scholes and retire for better energetic options, a legend and amazing servant to the club, but he's been past it for years and he doesn't do anything for me to justify keeping him in the team over kagawa ffs.
Midfielders

Spoiler

While the winger problem is bad as well, I don't think that it's at a level that it'll cost you trophies if you can control the midfield. Barcelona last season had a pretty bad winger/inside forward problem, villa was off form, sanchez scored his first league goal in february ffs and pedro was a shadow of the player he was in 2011 and literally they had messi doing the jobs of the wingers and the strikers, but they still won the league by far and got to the semis of the CL because they could control their games.
Original post by JM1987
we were offered ozil but moyes didnt want him

Not the person you need though with kags and rooney there. Maybe a 3AM system could fit you though. Would like to see it, could work in the future but not atm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Every single word of that post is correct.
Reply 9391
The Nani bashing by some fans is ridiculous, Giggs, Welbeck, Young and Valenca were so boring to watch, never taking on players or doing anything noteworthy, Nani brings in some much needed creativity.

Moyes clearly doesn't rate Kagawa for a reason, maybe the lad seems to find it hard in England remember he see's him in training, it looks like if Fellani was brought then he would replace Kagawa/Giggs as Rooney cover.

Arsenal seem to be close to Ozil whereas I'm sure we will try to sign Fellani tomorrow with probably a failed bid for someone like Kroos.
Reply 9392
Original post by rohitbd
The Nani bashing by some fans is ridiculous, Giggs, Welbeck, Young and Valenca were so boring to watch, never taking on players or doing anything noteworthy, Nani brings in some much needed creativity.

Moyes clearly doesn't rate Kagawa for a reason, maybe the lad seems to find it hard in England remember he see's him in training, it looks like if Fellani was brought then he would replace Kagawa/Giggs as Rooney cover.

Arsenal seem to be close to Ozil whereas I'm sure we will try to sign Fellani tomorrow with probably a failed bid for someone like Kroos.

I'll admit it was good to see Nani take players on, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. There is next to no end product from Nani, ever. Nothing he does ever comes off. It's been like this for years, he's played like he has been transitioning into the team for years. People day he needs a long run of games too. He has not proven himself good enough to earn that, not to mention the squad rotation.

But we still need him, as we do have very few options left in midfield... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One final thing, I'm not going to discount cleverley yet or say get rid, he's not good enough atm, and while I doubt whether he'd ever be good enough for starting for united, if he shows any of the qualities of the two CM/DM players I talked about consistently(Most likely the fabregas type since I think he's not aggressive or strong enough to be a tough tackling DM) then of course he should start.

Although while the defeat showed problems, liverpool away and chelsea in the first 3 games is tough and with the respective teams forms and players, 4-6 points was where I expected you guys to be. So there's no need to hit a panic button. Good luck for the season, you'll get back on track when you get a good run of games than this suicidal fixture list, I hope you guys challenge and make it an eventful title race this season. :smile:
Tbf, this is probably your best performance against us in years, and yet you've lost whereas in the past you've scraped wins...

This result is more about liverpool than anything else, and the resilience and character they have built up since last year.
Original post by rohitbd

This but we'll see with kags, I think early on in the season it's hard to judge how the manager sees players, you have a big squad and they all need gametime, as the season goes on, he finds out his best 11 then you'll see how it goes, look at hugo lloris, he was their no 13 yet he played a game in the league and performed well and became first choice via merit. Right now I think he's trying to find his best squad(as are other managers)

Original post by Ggmu!
I'll admit it was good to see Nani take players on, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. There is next to no end product from Nani, ever. Nothing he does ever comes off. It's been like this for years, he's played like he has been transitioning into the team for years. People day he needs a long run of games too. He has not proven himself good enough to earn that, not to mention the squad rotation.

But we still need him, as we do have very few options left in midfield... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why does valencia plays for weeks on end in terrible form then?
Sky sources say that Manchester United have made contact with Mezut Ozil's representatives.

Would be a great signing if we can pull it off. PSG and Arsenal also interested though.
What puts me off Fellaini is that he's neither one or the other. He's not a technical player, nor is he someone who possess great visual awareness and creativity. We need a CM who drive us up the pitch, find that killer pass or produce that moment of magic. He won't provide that. There's also huge question marks over his temperament, since every time I've seen him on Match of the Day he's either head-butting or Elbowing someone in the face. Seriously, If we're going to buy him with the motif of playing him as a DM, I'd rather we just buy an established DM who can do a real job for us protecting our back 4. Rather than someone who's spent a season playing in an advance role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9398
BBC have said were not in for Ozil. Signing him would be a step in the wrong direction, and certainly not for the reported £42.5m. He plays a similar role to Rooney/Kagawa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9399
I'd still bloody take ozil! He's world class.

But ignore all the rumours until it is confirmed, stone of them are probably shots in the dark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest