The Student Room Group

Just received AS grades - which uni's?

Hey guys,
I've just received my Summer exam results :

Psychology A2 - B
Chemistry AS - B
Maths AS - B
Accounting AS - D

I am interested in applying for the Pharmacy MPharm programme for 2014 entry, however I need some recommendations on universities within my requirements. I am probably able to get predicted AAB if I really convince my teachers (I've already secured a grade B in A-level psychology, so pretty much just need predictions in chemistry and maths)

Some universities I'm interested in are : LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, DMU, Aston, Wolverhampton. Can anyone recommend any good pharmacy schools in the UK and their entry requirements that may be suitable for me considering my grades / what predicted grades I need to get offers?

Do people usually apply for some high grade requirements uni's and some low grade requirement uni's ??? I'm slightly new to the UCAS application process so I'm unaware what the best way is to apply to Uni.

Any help would be widely appreciated,

Cheers
Reply 1
http://unistats.com/ All you have to do is put in the course and the uni's your looking at in and it makes it easy to compare them to each other based on past students opinions. (Personally loved the look of LJMU, DMU and Aston though)
Reply 2
Are you positive about Pharmacy ? Job prospects in that sector are declining due to a saturation of graduates and too many new schools of pharmacy, and they're finding it difficult to clear to back log as older pharmacists are working longer to improve their pensions.

However, if you are great, it's a great course and I was interested myself. Nottingham has a very good Pharmacy School for AAB /AAA ,and so does Bath, which was ranked first for student satisfaction and has a typical offer of AAB .

Hope that helps, but visit the complete university guide website for course rankings.
Reply 3
Well UClan was created because there wasn't enough pharmacists in that area so there being a surplus of pharmacists is not the case in all areas
Reply 4
Original post by BeckyPanda
Well UClan was created because there wasn't enough pharmacists in that area so there being a surplus of pharmacists is not the case in all areas

Yes but that was 6 years ago, I'm afraid things have changed a lot since then. New pharmacy schools are still being opened, however there just aren't enough jobs out there anymore. Most students still manage to secure a pre-reg, but many struggle to find a job after pre-reg nowadays.
Reply 5
I know things change but I have met many pre-reg that have got a job straight after qualifying you just need to look in the right places.
Hi guys,
So I'm hoping to get predicted ABB (I will confirm this once I start college again). I am thinking of applying to Liverpool JM, Sunderland, Bradford, de Montfort and UCLan for Pharmacy. Are these a good set of universities? Anyone else have any suggestions for universities within my grade requirements?
Reply 7
I applied to Liverpool JM, De Montfort and UClan last year so I can say these are ones I would recommend :smile: I was also predicted ABBB but did apply for an aspirational one (Aston and Cardiff) who require AAB and I still got offered a place, so if you think you could get AAB its worth applying to one you like just in case you make the grade :smile:
Original post by BeckyPanda
I applied to Liverpool JM, De Montfort and UClan last year so I can say these are ones I would recommend :smile: I was also predicted ABBB but did apply for an aspirational one (Aston and Cardiff) who require AAB and I still got offered a place, so if you think you could get AAB its worth applying to one you like just in case you make the grade :smile:

Ok thanks! How did you find De Montfort and UCLan? I am yet to visit the open days for them so I am not 100% on applying there yet. It's definitely possible to get AAB but I think it's a bit far-stretched for me at this current moment, I was thinking of applying to Aston (AAB), but I might keep my universities at ABB at the moment and see how that goes. However, I am still researching institutions so my mind isn't fully made up yet!

Which 5 universities did you apply to? Also which university are you currently at? Just to give me some more room for thought :biggrin:
Reply 9
I loved both De Montfort and UCLan. I put UCLan as my insurance however because I got a D in Chemistry due to exam clashes (I did four A Levels) I'm not at Uni however this year I will be just applying to UCLan. Just a bit of info, this year Aston went through clearing (very unusual) and were accepting people with BBB so its something you can consider too. I applied to Aston, Cardiff, De Montfort, Liverpool John Moores and UCLan. I love all of them and it was very difficult to decide which to have as firm and insurance.
Reply 10
Which uni did you choose to go to in the end?
Reply 11
You could go with Reading. I head they're good and offers vary from AAB to ABB
Hi everyone. At the moment, i'm definitely going to apply to Bradford and Sunderland. Most probably DMU and UCLan but I need to visit open days first. I was thinking LJMU as 5th uni but I think they require Biology to at least AS level which I don't have. I'm thinking of applying to Portsmouth or somewhere like that as 5th choice for a back up insurance choice possibly. Anywhere else people would suggest?
Post above this, erm I would apply to Reading but I think they'd want AAB because im in my third year, and ideally I want an ABB offer as firm and slightly lower offer as insurance. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending