The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cutmeloose
The sky is caving in.

With Ozil, I'm sure Arsenal will be able to give our midfield the run around.

Half the teams in the league did just that last season!

I've given up any possibility of us signing anyone today. This summer has been a complete disaster.
Reply 9421
Genuinely not trying to troll here, but what would you guys think if Ozil came to us when it looks like you could have had him if you wanted? I mean, I know he's kind of redudant in your formation, but he is a quality creative player, and you need creativity from what I've seen. And you could have probably sold Kagawa since he isn't really favoured? Would you prefer Fellaini over Ozil? :confused:

Moyes has really ****ed up this transfer window for you guys I think.
Reply 9422
Original post by IanLim93
Didn't Ozil come out and say he wanted to fight for his place at Madrid? :rolleyes:

Yes, he did, but that was pre-Bale.

As much of a quality player he is, we don't need him especially for the fee he's going for.
Dare i say it i rather have baines and fellani for 42.5 million than Ozil.

No. Just no... That's a good price for Ozil, he's worth that. Baines and Fellaini combined are not worth that, not even close.

Original post by Xotol
Genuinely not trying to troll here, but what would you guys think if Ozil came to us when it looks like you could have had him if you wanted? I mean, I know he's kind of redudant in your formation, but he is a quality creative player, and you need creativity from what I've seen. And you could have probably sold Kagawa since he isn't really favoured? Would you prefer Fellaini over Ozil? :confused:

It's insane. I'd also question what City and maybe even Chelsea are doing, more specifically why they're doing nothing. Ozil just isn't the type of player you ignore if he becomes available, he's better than whoever else you have in that position, bar maybe Mata. €50m is a steal when you consider what good players are sold for these days too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Xotol

I dunno, I would still probably think that Moyes is the messiah in second coming.
Original post by Xotol

Man U doesn't need another AM. Most Utd fans are questioning why Kaggs hasn't been given a chance to to prove himself. Not to mention Rooney performance at Chelsea in the hole shows another AM isn't needed.

Dare i say it i rather have baines and fellani for 42.5 million than Ozil.

I would rather noone than those two at that price.
Original post by xDave-
No. Just no... That's a good price for Ozil, he's worth that. Baines and Fellaini combined are not worth that, not even close.

Where would he play in our system? We have both Kagawa and Rooney there. Moyes isn't just going to change the way United plays because Ozil is avalaible. Baines can push Evra for his fighting spot, Fellaini can play beside Carrick to break up the play and let him have the space to make that pass. we would actually have someone who can hit decent set pieces and have more muscle in midfield.
Reply 9427
Original post by sr90
Half the teams in the league did just that last season!<br />
<br />
I've given up any possibility of us signing anyone today. This summer has been a complete disaster.
<br />
<br />
Agree its soo fustrating , it looks like we're going to get felleni or herrera neither are real match winners , as i said before team spirit aint going to win us the league without saf we neeeed quality ... & as i said on my twitter discussions @7olubantz ... Manutd have 2 matchwinners ( rvp,wayne) .. Liverpool have 2/3 , City have 3/4 ( yaya, aguero, joveticand silva) spurs have ( lamela , eriksen, soldado) & now arsenal have (carz, girould, wilshere and now potentially ozil) Manutd need quality our 1st XL is 4th best at the moment we Cant compete for the CL .. Soo upset
Original post by xDave-
Yes, he did, but that was pre-Bale.

It's insane. I'd also question what City and maybe even Chelsea are doing, more specifically why they're doing nothing. Ozil just isn't the type of player you ignore if he becomes available, he's better than whoever else you have in that position, bar maybe Mata. €50m is a steal when you consider what good players are sold for these days too.

How much reason is there for Chelsea to buy Ozil now though? Mata is on a similar level whilst Oscar KDB and even Hazard play there. Unless we buy him for him to be played out wide.
Original post by Cutmeloose
I would rather noone than those two at that price.

I only meant that in the context if we were to spent 42.5 on Ozil or Baines and Fellani. If we pay more than 23.5 mil for fellani, that's a joke.
Atm, we are in a position where we the only top team that has not improved in this transfer window. I'd rather get a world class player in Ozil, even if we do not neccesarily need a player in that position. Whats wrong with having another player in the number 10 role, it'll only be a good problem we'll have, since when did anyone complain of having too many good players. As it stands i want any good player we can get because as it stands, im not expecting anything on top of our community shield this season. Moyes has inherited a succesful team, that is used to winning, unlike SAF, so we should expect Moyes to get us our first trophy under him sooner than we did under SAF. Top teams cannot stand still in the modern age as every other top team continues to improve and build every year. We cannot afford to get left behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Ozil would be worth getting just to piss off Arsenal fans. Who cares if we don't 'need' him. When a world class player becomes available, we should always be in for him.
Where would he play in our system? We have both Kagawa and Rooney there. Moyes isn't just going to change the way United plays because Ozil is avalaible. Baines can push Evra for his fighting spot, Fellaini can play beside Carrick to break up the play and let him have the space to make that pass. we would actually have someone who can hit decent set pieces and have more muscle in midfield.

Baines isn't going to come just to push Evra, its a world cup year and he's going to want to be playing week in week out to try and get a place ahead of Cole. Likewise Evra isn't going to be happy to sit on the bench as his place in the French team isn't guaranteed. The only way Baines would have made any sense whatsoever was if Evra as pushing for a move away, and there's nothing to suggest he was.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Baines isn't going to come just to push Evra, its a world cup year and he's going to want to be playing week in week out to try and get a place ahead of Cole. Likewise Evra isn't going to be happy to sit on the bench as his place in the French team isn't guaranteed. The only way Baines would have made any sense whatsoever was if Evra as pushing for a move away, and there's nothing to suggest he was.

I think you're taking it in the wrong context, i meant i would prefer Baines and Fellani against the option of Ozil for 42.5 million. I'm not saying i want Baines to come in. If it was one or the other i would have picked the Everton pair.
Reply 9434

It's not really a formation change, it's just a different type of attacking outlet. Ozil can play instead of the right winger (which yesterday was Giggs...). Kagawa and Rooney have both done this instead of the left winger. A winger doesn't just have to be someone that can pace up the wing; it shouldn't just be that. And, like I said, we'd still have that option.

Original post by The Assassin
How much reason is there for Chelsea to buy Ozil now though? Mata is on a similar level whilst Oscar KDB and even Hazard play there. Unless we buy him for him to be played out wide.

Yeah, I know. I don't think you need to, I'm just saying that he could get into your team and be one of your better players. But yeah, KdB looks like he's gonna be good anyway, no reason to block him with Ozil.
(edited 10 years ago)
So much negativity. We'll be top of the league by Xmas :smile:
Reply 9436
Unfortunately I think you will be right

(Glory, glory Leeds United....:smile:)
Original post by DaveSmith99

Baines is also 29 in December. Already probably slower than Evra on the turn. In 2/3 years he'l be Gary Neville-esqe. Great coup for 20m+
Reply 9438
How about if Ozil plays an advanced CM role alongside carrick
Original post by xDave-
It's not really a formation change, it's just a different type of attacking outlet. Ozil can play instead of the right winger (which yesterday was Giggs...). Kagawa and Rooney have both done this instead of the left winger. A winger doesn't just have to be someone that can pace up the wing, it shouldn't just be that. And, like I said, we'd still have that option. .

We have the likes of Nani and Valencia who didn't play yesterday. Are they going to be happy sitting on the bench? Doesn't seem likely that any of them will leave. Also what about the growth of Zaha and Lingard who were great on tour?

Latest